News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

jeffwarne

Re: Zac Blair/Buck Club Near Aiken, SC
« Reply #25 on: September 03, 2020, 09:55:27 PM »
I could live in Aiken, nuclear waste or not

What makes you think they're wasting it? ;) ;D
"Let's slow the damned greens down a bit, not take the character out of them." Tom Doak
"Take their focus off the grass and put it squarely on interesting golf." Don Mahaffey

William_G

« Reply #26 on: September 04, 2020, 02:48:56 PM »
I could live in Aiken, nuclear waste or not

What makes you think they're wasting it? ;) ;D

hahaha
It's all about the golf!

Ronald Montesano

« Reply #27 on: September 05, 2020, 09:53:44 AM »
ZB was very public about what he wanted to do, and where he wanted to do it. Contrast that with Dick Youngscap and Mike Keiser, who play things close to the vest, until an announcement is ready. No one should jump off the Good Ship ZB.

You want a sad story? Amazon just backed away from a massive distribution center on my island. Located in a remote part, already industrial, adjacent to an Eisenhower interstate.
Coming in August 2023
~Manakiki
~OSU Scarlet
~OSU Grey
~NCR South
~Springfield
~Columbus
~Lake Forest (OH)
~Sleepy Hollow (OH)

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #28 on: September 05, 2020, 10:37:50 AM »
ZB was very public about what he wanted to do, and where he wanted to do it. Contrast that with Dick Youngscap and Mike Keiser, who play things close to the vest, until an announcement is ready. No one should jump off the Good Ship ZB.

You want a sad story? Amazon just backed away from a massive distribution center on my island. Located in a remote part, already industrial, adjacent to an Eisenhower interstate.

Sorry to hear that, you would have made one hell of a packer.

Kalen Braley

« Reply #29 on: September 05, 2020, 10:45:04 AM »
That's a bummer indeed .  ;D

Back in my warehouse days I used to drive one of these guys, it was a lot of fun..

https://www.raymondcorp.com/forklifts/swing-reach-trucks

Jonathan Mallard

« Reply #30 on: September 06, 2020, 11:27:37 AM »
Didn't Zac have an account on the board?

Does anyone wonder why he doesn't post anymore given the tenor of some of the comments on this thread?

Buck Wolter

« Reply #31 on: September 07, 2020, 08:05:18 PM »
Didn't Zac have an account on the board?

Does anyone wonder why he doesn't post anymore given the tenor of some of the comments on this thread?

Paging Tom Lehman -- who could forget his 2 hours here.
Those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end, for they do so with the approval of their own conscience -- CS Lewis

Tom Bacsanyi

« Reply #32 on: September 07, 2020, 08:14:02 PM »
^^^^^Please tell us the story of Tom Lehman on GCA o wise sage!
Don't play too much golf. Two rounds a day are plenty.

--Harry Vardon

Buck Wolter

« Reply #33 on: September 07, 2020, 08:22:41 PM »
^^^^^Please tell us the story of Tom Lehman on GCA o wise sage!

Wise Sage -- I may replace my dystopian signature line.

My memory:

Tom Lehman: Hi everybody glad to be on board

500 GCA'ers: WTF were you thinking when you did X, Y, Z? You are a hack, stick to golf and leave GCA to the Old Dead Guys.

Tom Lehman:

Those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end, for they do so with the approval of their own conscience -- CS Lewis

Peter Pallotta

« Reply #34 on: September 07, 2020, 08:40:13 PM »
I know the Zac Blair 'story', and it's a good and appealing one, ie his love of classic architecture and The Buck Club etc -- but I still would've preferred the thread title to be 'New King-Collins, near Aiken'.
Partly a matter of personal taste, yes, but also -- I think -- more than merely 'symbolic'.
There was a short period in Hollywood from the late 60s to the mid 70s when the 'power' resided with the creative talents instead of the suits/producers. What did we get in that period? Easy Rider, The French Connection, Mean Streets, Godfather I, Taxi Driver, Godfather II, The Conversation, Deer Hunter, Straw Dogs, The Last Picture Show, 2001-A Space Odyssey etc. 
When the focus is on those skilled artists-craftsman who actually 'make' instead of on those who 'plan-promote-finance', the results are usually pretty good.
Again, I understand the appeal of
'the story', and of the 'making-of narrative'; but it's a bit strange to go through a two page thread and not see the name(s) of the architects mentioned even once (save for in the link in the first post).

« Last Edit: September 07, 2020, 08:51:42 PM by Peter Pallotta »

John Emerson

« Reply #35 on: September 07, 2020, 08:58:54 PM »
I know the Zac Blair 'story', and it's a good and appealing one, ie his love of classic architecture and The Buck Club etc -- but I still would've preferred the thread title to be 'New King-Collins, near Aiken'.
Partly a matter of personal taste, yes, but also -- I think -- more than merely 'symbolic'.
There was a short period in Hollywood from the late 60s to the mid 70s when the 'power' resided with the creative talents instead of the suits/producers. What did we get in that period? Easy Rider, The French Connection, Mean Streets, Godfather I, Taxi Driver, Godfather II, The Conversation, Deer Hunter, Straw Dogs, The Last Picture Show, 2001-A Space Odyssey etc. 
When the focus is on those skilled artists-craftsman who actually 'make' instead of on those who 'plan-promote-finance', the results are usually pretty good.
'the story', the making-of narrative; but it's a bit strange to go through a two page thread and not see the name(s) of the architects mentioned even once (save for in the link in the first post).

I agree somewhat with your sentiment.  I completely disagree that the ZB story is appealing.  I think it’s well understood and agreed here the talents of Tad and Rob.  What’s not understood is why essentially a King/Collins hype-man is seemingly getting all the credit so there we agree.
“There’s links golf, then everything else.”

Tim Martin

« Reply #36 on: September 08, 2020, 07:03:24 AM »
Does anyone know where to get some Buck Club swag? ;)

ChipRoyce

« Reply #37 on: September 08, 2020, 07:49:25 AM »
Does anyone know where to get some Buck Club swag? ;)
I suspect TBC releases aren't as difficult to get as they once were...
https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=p2380057.m570.l1313&_nkw=buck+club&_sacat=0

Buck Wolter

« Reply #38 on: September 08, 2020, 09:26:55 AM »
'the story', the making-of narrative; but it's a bit strange to go through a two page thread and not see the name(s) of the architects mentioned even once (save for in the link in the first post).

I agree somewhat with your sentiment.  I completely disagree that the ZB story is appealing.  I think it’s well understood and agreed here the talents of Tad and Rob.  What’s not understood is why essentially a King/Collins hype-man is seemingly getting all the credit so there we agree.

This is ridiculous -- all the credit for what?  It's a piece of land and ZB has made that happen -- I think its foregone conclusion its going to be King/Collins but why should an architect get credit before anything happens on the ground.

Mark Pritchett

« Reply #39 on: September 08, 2020, 10:26:01 AM »
I am guessing John Emerson has a personal issue with ZB.  What's not to like about a new golf course/club project?   Especially when said project is from a tour player with an avid interest in golf course architecture.   

John Emerson

« Reply #40 on: September 08, 2020, 11:18:43 AM »
I am guessing John Emerson has a personal issue with ZB.  What's not to like about a new golf course/club project?   Especially when said project is from a tour player with an avid interest in golf course architecture.   

No, no personal issue.  Never met the guy.  Just don’t find him personally interesting. But, the real hero is Tad and Rob.  They parlayed Sweetens into something good for their business and exposure.  That’s the story, not “another tour pro ‘builds’ a course”.
“There’s links golf, then everything else.”

Buck Wolter

« Reply #41 on: September 08, 2020, 11:36:33 AM »

No, no personal issue.  Never met the guy.  Just don’t find him personally interesting. But, the real hero is Tad and Rob.  They parlayed Sweetens into something good for their business and exposure.  That’s the story, not “another tour pro ‘builds’ a course”.

That's a completely different story and a great one --not sure why there can't be two good stories.

I guess I've missed all the Tour Pros that love golf enough to put their time energy and money into building their own course/club. Jackie Burke, Jack Nicklaus, Ben Crenshaw are the only ones I can think of that are still alive.

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #42 on: September 08, 2020, 02:20:51 PM »
Zac is profiting by his cleverly massaged persona. Loving or hating him is virtual blood sport. Once you put down the phone no one cares either way. It’s all great fun.

Buck Wolter

« Reply #43 on: September 08, 2020, 03:51:24 PM »
Zac is profiting by his cleverly massaged persona. Loving or hating him is virtual blood sport. Once you put down the phone no one cares either way. It’s all great fun.

I'm sure I'm the rube but cleverly massaged is the last way I'd describe his persona. Was he smart enough to embrace his Social Media following and develop a 'brand' around  TBC -- yes but I doubt its been any kind of huge money maker, it will probably make the odds of TBC being successful more likely but I think it was pretty organic and not some kind of long con.

BTW if you have the XM app download Jeff's Golf School episode from last week where he interviews Zac mainly about TBC but also about his golf game, I caught a repeat of the last 30 minutes Sunday in the car. He's the anti-Dechambeau.

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #44 on: September 08, 2020, 04:02:16 PM »
I follow ZB on every round of every tournament he plays. I have also bought TBC merchandise directly from his site. Pretty amazing considering I'm not on Instagram, Twitter or Facebook. I believe that is how celebrities and athletes monetize their brand these days.

Ira Fishman

« Reply #45 on: September 08, 2020, 05:20:06 PM »
I follow ZB on every round of every tournament he plays. I have also bought TBC merchandise directly from his site. Pretty amazing considering I'm not on Instagram, Twitter or Facebook. I believe that is how celebrities and athletes monetize their brand these days.

Are you on Tik Tok which is the MySpace of this year?

Regarding Zac Blair and TBC, why isn't this great for gca? Do we really hope he fails? For what reason?

Ira

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #46 on: September 08, 2020, 05:35:04 PM »
I don't think anyone wants TBC to fail. Sweetens Cove is centered around many of these discussions because of it hosting a Ringer and the architects of choice. As long as Zac stays out of the Bourbon business he, like Sweetens will get nothing but love once the course is in the ground. As a matter of fact this might wash down the crow most haters will be serving up to themselves.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tnVzkRR6XcA

Blake Conant

« Reply #47 on: September 08, 2020, 05:53:19 PM »

Shouldn't it be considered a Zac Blair course since, at least from my understanding, he did the routing?  I'd like to hear more about the set-up, honestly.  Is KC the builder? co-designers? was the routing Zac's or is it collaborative?
« Last Edit: September 08, 2020, 08:21:12 PM by Blake Conant »

jeffwarne

« Reply #48 on: September 08, 2020, 08:36:18 PM »
So we're not "crediting"
...Bobby Jones for ANGC,
....Crump for Pine Valley,
.....Bakst for Friar's Head,
.....Youngscap for Sand Hills,
....Keiser for Bandon...
Obviously all chose great architects, but a lot has to happen in order for the architects to get their chance to shine.

As far as the SC land there's no "credit" to give to any architect yet, as there's no course, just some purchased land and a vision.

and Blake is correct that Zac has done the routing, which has changed multiple times, and no doubt will change some more.
And I have no doubt KC ,Zac, and others will make many more collaborative changes in the field.

How anyone can find a Tour player finding a unique piece of ground, raising some money and having a cool vision of providing an affordable destination course "unappealing" is beyond me.

I look forward to "crediting" KC and Zac when the course is complete.

"Let's slow the damned greens down a bit, not take the character out of them." Tom Doak
"Take their focus off the grass and put it squarely on interesting golf." Don Mahaffey

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #49 on: September 08, 2020, 08:52:25 PM »
So we're not "crediting"
...Bobby Jones for ANGC,
....Crump for Pine Valley,
.....Bakst for Friar's Head,
.....Youngscap for Sand Hills,
....Keiser for Bandon...
Obviously all chose great architects, but a lot has to happen in order for the architects to get their chance to shine.

As far as the SC land there's no "credit" to give to any architect yet, as there's no course, just some purchased land and a vision.

and Blake is correct that Zac has done the routing, which has changed multiple times, and no doubt will change some more.
And I have no doubt KC ,Zac, and others will make many more collaborative changes in the field.

How anyone can find a Tour player finding a unique piece of ground, raising some money and having a cool vision of providing an affordable destination course "unappealing" is beyond me.

I look forward to "crediting" KC and Zac when the course is complete.

Why do we then fail to question the doubters who spew venom when a billionaire hires Rees Jones?  Who exactly chooses our heroes now?

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back