News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

David_Tepper

Kalen Braley

Re: Zac Blair/Buck Club Near Aiken, SC
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2020, 12:23:05 PM »
We've known this for awhile.  https://www.golfclubatlas.com/forum/index.php/topic,68395

Not sure i'm buying the land and build costs explanation thou.  Wages and land cost are both very inexpensive here in Utah, especially in the semi-remote location he was looking at.  Guess he couldn't just say, who wants to fund a project like this in F'ing BFE Utah...  ;D

Matt_Cohn

« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2020, 12:33:07 PM »
My thread about longest  on-tee-shot forced carries was inspired by his plan for the fifth hole at the far right of the map he’s holding—a 600 yard par five with at least 150 yards of broken ground to be carried on the second shot.

Alex Miller

« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2020, 12:41:12 PM »
My thread about longest  on-tee-shot forced carries was inspired by his plan for the fifth hole at the far right of the map he’s holding—a 600 yard par five with at least 150 yards of broken ground to be carried on the second shot.

I noticed this too... surely there will be changes before it ends up on the ground.

Related to that, the routing looks interesting but it seems odd to return to the clubhouse 3 times and not return at 9, especially when there is a 9 hole returning routing on the south side of the property.

jeffwarne

« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2020, 12:46:28 PM »
We've known this for awhile.  https://www.golfclubatlas.com/forum/index.php/topic,68395

Not sure i'm buying the land and build costs explanation thou.  Wages and land cost are both very inexpensive here in Utah, especially in the semi-remote location he was looking at.  Guess he couldn't just say, who wants to fund a project like this in F'ing BFE Utah...  ;D

less than $1950 an acre?(the listed price for years)
sandy site makes for low construction$$ as well.

12 minutes from Aiken private air/jetport
35 minutes to Columbia(nonstops to major NE cities) or Augusta airport.

It's an incredible site, one I'm intimately familiar with having looked at it many times over the past 10 years with an interested party.(sadly he passed away last November)
The property revealed itself(to me as an 18 handicap amateur topo map reader) much more clearly when they thinned the timber a couple of years ago.
Very excited someone with Zac's passion, interest, following,contacts and GCA background is driving the bus.

Augusta/Aiken area just got even more attractive as an fall/winter/spring hangout.
« Last Edit: September 02, 2020, 04:35:46 PM by jeffwarne »
"Let's slow the damned greens down a bit, not take the character out of them." Tom Doak
"Take their focus off the grass and put it squarely on interesting golf." Don Mahaffey

Kalen Braley

« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2020, 02:14:46 PM »
Hey Jeff,

That is certainly damn cheap, even if Utah is still inexpensive relatively speaking.  I'm not sure how much the deal was going to be in Morgan for the existing course, but I looked up some other large parcels in the area and they're 4-5k per acre, so that's understandable. 

And Aiken makes all the sense in the world with better year round temps and other great offerings close by, but no doubt it would have been nice to see what they would have done in Utah.

MCirba

« Reply #6 on: September 02, 2020, 02:17:29 PM »
Very exciting news.  Thanks.
"Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent" - Calvin Coolidge

https://cobbscreek.org/

jeffwarne

« Reply #7 on: September 02, 2020, 02:22:36 PM »
Hey Jeff,

That is certainly damn cheap, even if Utah is still inexpensive relatively speaking.  I'm not sure how much the deal was going to be in Morgan for the existing course, but I looked up some other large parcels in the area and they're 4-5k per acre, so that's understandable. 

And Aiken makes all the sense in the world with better year round temps and other great offerings close by, but no doubt it would have been nice to see what they would have done in Utah.

winter perhaps a bit better in Aiken.
« Last Edit: September 02, 2020, 04:37:10 PM by jeffwarne »
"Let's slow the damned greens down a bit, not take the character out of them." Tom Doak
"Take their focus off the grass and put it squarely on interesting golf." Don Mahaffey

Daryl "Turboe" Boe

« Reply #8 on: September 02, 2020, 02:37:12 PM »
Wow!!   Very cool news for this part of the country!!   

This old guys eyes are not good enough to make out everything on the routing, but it will be cool to see that in more detail as this moves forward.   

Looking forward to keeping up with this.

Instagram: @thequestfor3000

"Time spent playing golf is not deducted from ones lifespan."

"We sleep safely in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm."

Tom_Doak

« Reply #9 on: September 02, 2020, 02:45:43 PM »
I am curious to see how he is able to fund the course. 

Buying the land is definitely a positive step -- it shows commitment and gives you options if one source isn't working out.  But building the course and getting to opening day is another $5 million or more, when you include a maintenance building and equipment.

Buck Wolter

« Reply #10 on: September 02, 2020, 03:13:23 PM »
I am curious to see how he is able to fund the course. 

Buying the land is definitely a positive step -- it shows commitment and gives you options if one source isn't working out.  But building the course and getting to opening day is another $5 million or more, when you include a maintenance building and equipment.

One of his Utah golf buddies sold his business for $8B in 2018 -- don't know if there's a connection but I saw him congratulate ZB on twitter when he announced the land sale closed. That's F everybody money.
Those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end, for they do so with the approval of their own conscience -- CS Lewis

Tom_Doak

« Reply #11 on: September 02, 2020, 03:48:47 PM »

One of his Utah golf buddies sold his business for $8B in 2018 -- don't know if there's a connection but I saw him congratulate ZB on twitter when he announced the land sale closed. That's F everybody money.

Hope he likes Aiken, then!

John Emerson

« Reply #12 on: September 03, 2020, 07:17:42 AM »

I don’t understand this either. Seems like a cop out. Wasn’t his original desire for this course was to give back to Utah golf?  To give the state a unique course to be proud of and enjoy. Guess he didn’t know it cost quite a chunk of change to build a course?  So you want to give back, but if it cost money you’re out?  I’m very confused here. 
“There’s links golf, then everything else.”

Shane Wright

« Reply #13 on: September 03, 2020, 08:26:47 AM »
Hey Jeff,

While I think it is super cool that Zac is moving this forward, even in the midst of having their first child (congrats!), I want to make one thing clear.

Utah land is nowhere near cheap.  Utah has some of the most expensive land prices I've come across anywhere in the country.

John Mayhugh

« Reply #14 on: September 03, 2020, 08:27:52 AM »

I don’t understand this either. Seems like a cop out. Wasn’t his original desire for this course was to give back to Utah golf?  To give the state a unique course to be proud of and enjoy. Guess he didn’t know it cost quite a chunk of change to build a course?  So you want to give back, but if it cost money you’re out?  I’m very confused here.
Perhaps Mr. Blair adjusted his dream to improve its chance of success?  He wouldn't be the first person to do that.

JESII

« Reply #15 on: September 03, 2020, 08:57:23 AM »
Yes...and perhaps the guy with the actual money wanted a small say in how it was spent...perhaps...

JMEvensky

« Reply #16 on: September 03, 2020, 09:20:00 AM »

Yes...and perhaps the guy with the actual money wanted a small say in how it was spent...perhaps...

Exactly--seems pretty clear.

Kalen Braley

« Reply #17 on: September 03, 2020, 10:47:27 AM »
Hey Jeff,

While I think it is super cool that Zac is moving this forward, even in the midst of having their first child (congrats!), I want to make one thing clear.

Utah land is nowhere near cheap.  Utah has some of the most expensive land prices I've come across anywhere in the country.

It always depends specifically on the where.  In a heavily populated area, of course land prices will cost more relatively speaking.

However it hasn't been an accident that Utah's economy has been growing like gangbusters compared to most other places in the last 10 years. With cheap land acquisition costs, cheap labor, cheap rents, and inexpensive housing (which has finally started to catch up in the last 5 years), companies have been relocating here from all over the Western US.  They even have a new area just south of here called Silicon Slopes in Lehi with tech companies moving in from everywhere. 

P.S.  4-5k per acre just minutes away from heavily populated areas is some of the most expensive in the US? And if you're willing to go more remote Utah, just found a spot near Monticello at less than $1k per acre.

« Last Edit: September 03, 2020, 10:52:46 AM by Kalen Braley »

jeffwarne

« Reply #18 on: September 03, 2020, 03:49:52 PM »
I don't know anything about the land or prices in Utah.
But I know very well how good this piece of land is in SC, and that it was priced right, with low construction costs due to sand, and excellent natural drainage.

I also know the HIGH in Ogden Utah averages 37 degrees in January and Aiken's  average is 58.
In December, Ogden's average high is 38 degrees and Aiken's is 60 degrees.
In November, Ogden's average HIGH is 49 degrees, Aiken's is 69 degrees.

Zac plays the PGA Tour Mid January-November.
During the closest thing the PGA Tour gets to an off season , it's freezing in Ogden.
Aiken SC is a really cool town. that's 20 minutes from the site.

Some of you are really over thinking this.

Did I mention how good the land he selected in SC?
I don't hear comparisons to Swinley, Pine Valley or Pinehurst when I hear discussions of Utah land. (I could be way off base here as I know little of Utah other than its spectacular National Parks and epic Ski mountains)

Zac is 30 years old and passionate about golf architecture and being involved in design. There's plenty of time to build his dream course in Utah.
Perhaps rather than a "cop out"(as mentioned above),it's just another step along a long journey.

« Last Edit: September 04, 2020, 11:04:41 AM by jeffwarne »

JC Jones

« Reply #19 on: September 03, 2020, 04:22:05 PM »
we sure have come a long way on this site from everyone loving Zac Blair because he said he liked Raynor courses.
I get it, you are mad at the world because you are an adult caddie and few people take you seriously.

Excellent spellers usually lack any vision or common sense.

I know plenty of courses that are in the red, and they are killing it.

Kalen Braley

« Reply #20 on: September 03, 2020, 04:40:02 PM »
I don't know anything about the land or prices in Utah.
But I know very well how good this piece of land is in SC, and that it was priced right, with low construction costs due to sand, and excellent natural drainage.

I also know the HIGH in Ogden Utah averages 37 degrees in January and Aiken's  average is 58.
In December, Ogden's average high is 38 degrees and Aiken's is 60 degrees.
In November, Ogden's average HIGH is 49 degrees, Aiken's is 69 degrees.

Zac plays the PGA Tour Mid January-November.
During the closest thing the PGA Tour gets to an off season , it's freezing in Ogden.
Aiken SC is a really cool town. that's 20 minutes from the site.

Some of you are really over thinking this.

Did I mention how good the land he selected in SC?
I don't hear comparisons to Swinley, Pine Valley or Pinehurst when I hear discussions of Utah land. (I could be way off base here as I know little of Utah other than its spectacular National Parks and epic Ski mountains)

Zac is 29 years old and passionate about golf architecture. There's plenty of time to build his dream course in Utah.
Perhaps rather than a cop out,it's just another step along a long journey.

Jeff,

You are exactly right about all of that, and it certainly seems like he made the right move overall.  It was the excuse to go away from Utah giving the impression that its expensive to buy and build here, which compared to most places in the US, it is certainly not, even if the Aiken site is a sweetheart deal.

P.S. I noticed however you didn't discuss summer temps which only average in the mid 80s in Morgan..and its a dry heat to boot so its not that bad. :) I'm guessing summer golf in Aiken is nothing short of brutal. Fall in Northern Utah is also glorious with the cool temps, turning leaves, etc..not to mention there are multiple resorts for world class skiing all within an hour of the proposed site.

John_Cullum

« Reply #21 on: September 03, 2020, 05:29:45 PM »
July and August in Aiken is pretty brutal. Outside of that it's liveable.
Raynor was a hack

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #22 on: September 03, 2020, 05:45:12 PM »
Utah doesn’t fit SMM culture. I’m done underestimating Zac Blair.

Tim Martin

« Reply #23 on: September 03, 2020, 07:47:50 PM »
A lot more people will get to play it in Aiken.

William_G

« Reply #24 on: September 03, 2020, 09:53:30 PM »
I could live in Aiken, nuclear waste or not
It's all about the golf!

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back