News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Peter Flory

State sponsored hickory tournament
« on: September 01, 2020, 03:49:36 PM »
I've convinced the CDGA (Chicago District Golf Association) to add a hickory golf tournament to next year's schedule if I can find a good venue that works logistically.  Florida announced that they are going to do something similar next year as well.

I just need to find a course that would be willing to host and that would help attract players to get off to a good start- so that it may become an annual tradition.  Ideally, the site would be a golden age course where the members would also turn out for it and participate.  The anticipated format would be something that allows people to try it for the first time without getting too frustrated.  Probably something like a one day tourney with 2-3 person scramble with an optional twilight practice round the day before.  Clubs would be a shared 7 club rental set (2 putters, niblick, mashie, mid iron, long iron, spoon or something similar.  Shared to keep costs down).  Gross division and net.   

If you think that your club might be up for hosting or if you have other ideas, let me know.  For the scratch division, the max yardage would be something like 6,000-6,200 yards.  Ladies and senior tees would be shorter.  I think that it would be a lot of fun and would get people thinking about golf architecture in a different way. 

Joe Zucker

Re: State sponsored hickory tournament
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2020, 04:03:37 PM »
Peter, I attended a hickory day at Meadow Park Golf Course in Tacoma, WA in 2017 (unremarkable course, but golden age).  They  were really good with making hickory golf accessible and fun.  I believe they host a number of events each year and welcome visitors. Maybe they would be able to offer a perspective on what works and doesn't work to get something like this off the ground.

https://www.metroparkstacoma.org/hickory-golf-meadow-park-golf/

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back