News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Dave Maberry

Re: MacKenzie at 150 & The MacKenzie Reader (new book)
« Reply #25 on: August 12, 2021, 08:26:45 PM »
Received this in email today:

Hi All,

Thank you for your continued patience.

After a very frustrating experience with the printing company, plagued with multiple setbacks from supply chain issues, they have informed me the books will finally be shipped to me by August 20th.  It will then take me a few days turnaround time to get them individually shipped out to each of you.

Thanks again for ordering  The MacKenzie Reader and I hope you enjoy the book.

Wishing you all the best,

Josh

Michael Wolf

« Reply #26 on: September 21, 2021, 10:10:25 PM »
I'm starting to feel like a sucker for asking, but does anyone have an update from Josh?

Michael

Jeff Schley

« Reply #27 on: September 22, 2021, 12:56:46 AM »
Coincidentally I just got an email a few hours ago from Josh saying the quality of the books he received from his printer is not up to quality standards and he is now getting another printer to do them. Says about a month until that rush job is done.
I hope in the end we get an acceptable product.
"To give anything less than your best, is to sacrifice your gifts."
- Steve Prefontaine

Niall C

« Reply #28 on: September 22, 2021, 08:37:19 AM »
Jeff

I'm pleased you got an update. Presumably you had enquired directly ? It would be good if Josh could keep the rest of us updated also.

Niall

Michael Moore

« Reply #29 on: September 22, 2021, 12:02:25 PM »
Maybe some late-breaking news from the Scores Hotel?
Metaphor is social and shares the table with the objects it intertwines and the attitudes it reconciles. Opinion, like the Michelin inspector, dines alone. - Adam Gopnik, The Table Comes First

Jeff Schley

« Reply #30 on: September 22, 2021, 12:08:22 PM »
Jeff

I'm pleased you got an update. Presumably you had enquired directly ? It would be good if Josh could keep the rest of us updated also.

Niall
Niall,
Actually I didn't inquire. It was unprompted, but he also had sent an email the beginning of August I think to all those who ordered saying he was getting delivery Aug. 20th and then ship onwards to us and asking if any addresses had changed.

I hope Josh learned alot, via this exercise as it wasn't seamless.
- Steve Prefontaine

Niall C

« Reply #31 on: October 30, 2021, 09:50:58 AM »
I suspect I know the answer to this before I've asked the question but has anyone had an update from Josh or, dare I say it, received the book ?

Niall

James Reader

« Reply #32 on: October 30, 2021, 12:23:49 PM »
I suspect I know the answer to this before I've asked the question but has anyone had an update from Josh or, dare I say it, received the book ?

Niall

I received this in an email at the end of September Niall.  Not sure why this wouldn’t be going to everyone who’s ordered, but I feel for Josh.  The book looks like it’ll be worth the wait from what i can see from the photos.

[/size]The books were finally finished last month, but there were some serious defects with the craftsmanship that I’ve been trying to get resolved (see attached photos) — the printing company used the wrong kind of paper (too thin) and there are a lot of problems with the margins being off-center, and the cover not produced correctly.  I’m extremely disappointed with the quality, and they have repeatedly lied to me and violated the terms of my contract per the specs that were agreed upon. 

I have now hired a new printing company based locally here in the San Francisco Bay Area who has agreed to rearrange some of their projects so as to accommodate a 3-4 week rush order to produce my book.  It’s been a very difficult decision because I am out a lot of money, but I do not feel the quality and craftsmanship is acceptable and I want to make sure it’s done right.

My sincerest of apologies to you — I’m terribly frustrated and embarrassed this has taken so long, but I figure another few weeks is worth it to get them done correctly.

I’ll be sure to keep you posted in the next couple of weeks.

Niall C

« Reply #33 on: October 30, 2021, 07:43:38 PM »
Thanks James

Niall

Shane Derby

« Reply #34 on: February 02, 2022, 08:05:11 AM »
Hi Guys

I received this email from Josh recently (22/1/22), I suspect it's contents might be of interest to some of you:

I just met with the printer today and got an update.  They’re almost finished with all the printing and will start the binding next week.  There was another setback with with sourcing the paper because the paper industry is having terrible supply chain problems right now (at least here in the States it’s nearly impossible to get good paper) — so they were in limbo for 3 months waiting on the paper supplier.  It all should be ready in the next 10 days to 2 weeks.
[/size][/color]
[/size]Sounds like there's some progress which is welcome I guess.[/color]

[/size]S[/color]

Erik J. Barzeski

« Reply #35 on: February 02, 2022, 08:18:05 AM »
This reads like a poorly run Kickstarter project.
Erik J. Barzeski @iacas
Author, Lowest Score Wins, Instructor/Coach, and Lifetime Student of the Game.

I ignore Rob, Tim, and Garland.

Niall C

« Reply #36 on: February 02, 2022, 11:05:42 AM »

My impression is that Josh is self-publishing this and given the issues of COVID and supply chains that everyone is facing right now it is perhaps not surprising that he is experiencing these problems. What is a bit frustrating though is the lack of update other than the odd person getting an email. Why not update everyone on a more frequent basis ?

Niall

Tim_Cronin

« Reply #37 on: February 02, 2022, 11:43:06 PM »
The paper supply issue is actually a thing in the printing industry right now, all part of the supply chain jumble thanks to COVID.
The website: www.illinoisgolfer.net
On Twitter: @illinoisgolfer

Jeff Schley

« Reply #38 on: February 03, 2022, 10:47:06 PM »
I had totally forgotten I ordered such a book a couple years ago.  Is this the sequel?  :)

Mackenzie at 151 or 152?
- Steve Prefontaine

Tim_Weiman

« Reply #39 on: February 04, 2022, 10:44:25 PM »

My impression is that Josh is self-publishing this and given the issues of COVID and supply chains that everyone is facing right now it is perhaps not surprising that he is experiencing these problems. What is a bit frustrating though is the lack of update other than the odd person getting an email. Why not update everyone on a more frequent basis ?

Niall
Niall,

I agree. Joshua would have done better to provide more frequent updates. Most GCA book collectors know these projects can take time, but not keeping folks informed doesn’t engender good will.
Tim Weiman

Matthew Mollica

« Reply #40 on: March 21, 2022, 04:03:06 AM »
I'm hearing positive news on Josh's project with The MacKenzie reader, in that some have already been shipped, and a friend in California now actually received his copy. Anyone else with news to add? I must admit - I'm excited and hope I get to see a copy soon.
"The truth about golf courses has a slightly different expression for every golfer. Which of them, one might ask, is without the most definitive convictions concerning the merits or deficiencies of the links he plays over? Freedom of criticism is one of the last privileges he is likely to forgo."

CJames

« Reply #41 on: March 21, 2022, 11:55:44 AM »
I was told by a close friend at Meadow Club that he received his copy of Josh’s book just last week.  He was extremely pleased with both the quality of both the content and the physical properties/paper stock.  I ran into Josh later that evening and verbally placed my order; I am looking forward to its addition to my GCA library.  Sounds like the resolution of the production issues that delayed will prove well worth the wait. 

Tim_Weiman

« Reply #42 on: March 21, 2022, 04:59:58 PM »
I exchanged emails with Joshua today. He confirmed the book is ready for shipment and that my order will go out shortly.

Really look forward to it.
Tim Weiman

Jeff Schley

« Reply #43 on: March 26, 2022, 03:54:43 AM »
Glad this is happening. Will wait for mine and by early reports seems it was worth the wait.  Josh what is next for you? More books or?
- Steve Prefontaine

CJames

« Reply #44 on: March 27, 2022, 11:10:23 PM »
I received my copy of ‘The Mackenzie Reader’ today, hand-delivered by Josh.  The book is very impressive, and anyone who ordered the tome should be quite pleased with the final product.  The delays in publication that arose by Josh’s insistence upon delivering nothing short of an extremely high-quality book were, IMO, easily well worth the wait.  The roster of essayists is august, not to mention an introduction by none other than Ben Crenshaw.  I can’t wait to dig in.  Thank you Josh!

Stephen Britton

« Reply #45 on: April 06, 2022, 10:25:57 AM »
Just ordered, looking forward to this.
"The chief object of every golf architect or greenkeeper worth his salt is to imitate the beauties of nature so closely as to make his work indistinguishable from nature itself" Alister MacKenzie...

Tim_Weiman

« Reply #46 on: April 12, 2022, 12:06:49 AM »
Just want to echo the post of CJames regarding the Mackenzie Reader book. Long awaited, the book arrived and I just started to dig into it.

Have to credit Josh Pettit for the very classy way the book was put together. Feels old in a good way as if Mackenzie himself put it together.

While there are many beautiful illustrations, this is a book to read, not a coffee table picture book. Really makes you wish the Good Doctor was still with us.

Thanks very much to all that contributed to the book and to Josh for seeing the project through to completion. Well done times a million!
Tim Weiman

Stephen Britton

« Reply #47 on: May 13, 2022, 02:09:57 PM »
I’m pleased to announce beginning today, August 30th, my new (and first) book The MacKenzie Reader will be available for pre-sale.

The culmination of 15 years of research stemming from my involvement with various MacKenzie restoration projects, The MacKenzie Reader is a compendium of Dr. MacKenzie’s lost writings accompanied by photographs and routing maps.  Included are 29 articles and essays written by MacKenzie, originally published in disparate publications between 1915 and 1935, as well as ten foldout page routing diagrams, and eleven additional essays by noted MacKenzie experts from around the world.

NOTE: This is not a coffee table book.  At 5.5” x 8.25” it is a fair balance of portability and legibility.

The first printing is a commemorative edition, limited to 150 copies, and will be shipped before the holiday season (hopefully by the unseasonable Masters, but the printer can not ensure it).  A larger second printing is tentatively planned for late 2021.

The publication of the book had been planned in conjunction with the presentation of the “MacKenzie at 150” historical exhibition — in commemoration of Dr. MacKenzie’s 150th birthday (b. 30 August 1870).  Unfortunately the exhibition has been postponed due to the pandemic, but I am hoping that a rescheduled debut for late 2020 or early 2021 will be possible.

The exhibition, to be on display here in the San Francisco Bay Area, is a series of framed plans, photos, correspondence and other historical materials that thoroughly showcase the career of golf’s preeminent architect.

For more information and to pre-order a copy of The MacKenzie Reader see the MacKenzie Institute website:

www.AlisterMacKenzie.org

Cheers,

Josh

Josh any updates on when books will be shipped out?

Thanks.
"The chief object of every golf architect or greenkeeper worth his salt is to imitate the beauties of nature so closely as to make his work indistinguishable from nature itself" Alister MacKenzie...

Pete Lavallee

« Reply #48 on: June 28, 2022, 12:24:40 PM »
I received mine in the mail yesterday! Looks like a great read read. Can’t wait to delve into one of the first chapters on his application of military camouflage.
"...one inoculated with the virus must swing a golf-club or perish."  Robert Hunter

Joe Hancock

« Reply #49 on: June 28, 2022, 09:51:44 PM »
I received mine in the mail yesterday! Looks like a great read read. Can’t wait to delve into one of the first chapters on his application of military camouflage.

I was looking for that chapter as well, but couldn’t find it….
" What the hell is the point of architecture and excellence in design if a "clever" set up trumps it all?" Peter Pallotta, June 21, 2016

"People aren't picking a side of the fairway off a tee because of a randomly internally contoured green ."  jeffwarne, February 24, 2017

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back