News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Joshua Pettit

MacKenzie at 150 & The MacKenzie Reader (new book)
« on: August 30, 2020, 03:48:51 AM »
I’m pleased to announce beginning today, August 30th, my new (and first) book The MacKenzie Reader will be available for pre-sale.

The culmination of 15 years of research stemming from my involvement with various MacKenzie restoration projects, The MacKenzie Reader is a compendium of Dr. MacKenzie’s lost writings accompanied by photographs and routing maps.  Included are 29 articles and essays written by MacKenzie, originally published in disparate publications between 1915 and 1935, as well as ten foldout page routing diagrams, and eleven additional essays by noted MacKenzie experts from around the world.

NOTE: This is not a coffee table book.  At 5.5” x 8.25” it is a fair balance of portability and legibility.

The first printing is a commemorative edition, limited to 150 copies, and will be shipped before the holiday season (hopefully by the unseasonable Masters, but the printer can not ensure it).  A larger second printing is tentatively planned for late 2021.

The publication of the book had been planned in conjunction with the presentation of the “MacKenzie at 150” historical exhibition — in commemoration of Dr. MacKenzie’s 150th birthday (b. 30 August 1870).  Unfortunately the exhibition has been postponed due to the pandemic, but I am hoping that a rescheduled debut for late 2020 or early 2021 will be possible.

The exhibition, to be on display here in the San Francisco Bay Area, is a series of framed plans, photos, correspondence and other historical materials that thoroughly showcase the career of golf’s preeminent architect.

For more information and to pre-order a copy of The MacKenzie Reader see the MacKenzie Institute website:

www.AlisterMacKenzie.org

Cheers,

Josh
"The greatest and fairest of things are done by nature, and the lesser by art."

Matthew Mollica

Re: MacKenzie at 150 & The MacKenzie Reader (new book)
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2020, 05:50:42 AM »
Fantastic. Thanks Josh! Looking forward to seeing it!
"The truth about golf courses has a slightly different expression for every golfer. Which of them, one might ask, is without the most definitive convictions concerning the merits or deficiencies of the links he plays over? Freedom of criticism is one of the last privileges he is likely to forgo."

Anthony Gholz

« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2020, 11:29:54 AM »
preorder button doesn't connect for me. R we sold out or are my computer skills showing?

Thomas Dai

« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2020, 01:38:01 PM »
Fantastic. Thanks Josh! Looking forward to seeing it!
+1
Atb

Mark Mammel

« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2020, 01:51:19 PM »
I'm having the same problem. The "Read more" link doesn't work, and the "order now" link takes me back to the main page.thanks
So much golf to play, so little time....

Mark

Joshua Pettit

« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2020, 04:26:16 PM »
I'm having the same problem. The "Read more" link doesn't work, and the "order now" link takes me back to the main page.thanks
Thanks for the heads up.  Sorry for the confusion.  I meant to say click on the "Store" tab, but now all the links are working.  Also you can click here to go directly to the store.

Right now the web-hosting commerce function only supports payments through PayPal and Venmo, but I'm working on providing a pay by credit card option that I hope will be up and running in the near future.

Niall C

« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2021, 07:04:07 AM »
Has anyone received the book yet ? I emailed Joshua about a week ago for an update but have had no reply.

Niall

Jeff Schley

« Reply #7 on: February 21, 2021, 07:26:51 AM »
Good reminder. Just ordered as I meant to when I saw this thread last year.  No rush and looking forward to seeing Josh's compilation.
"To give anything less than your best, is to sacrifice your gifts."
- Steve Prefontaine

Jeff Schley

« Reply #8 on: February 21, 2021, 07:28:52 AM »
BTW it says I'm order #160, so I assume I won't be part of the original 150 commemorative edition run.
"To give anything less than your best, is to sacrifice your gifts."
- Steve Prefontaine

Matthew Mollica

« Reply #9 on: February 21, 2021, 02:59:25 PM »
My copy has not yet arrive in Australia. No rush...
"The truth about golf courses has a slightly different expression for every golfer. Which of them, one might ask, is without the most definitive convictions concerning the merits or deficiencies of the links he plays over? Freedom of criticism is one of the last privileges he is likely to forgo."

Drew Harvie

« Reply #10 on: February 21, 2021, 05:00:46 PM »
I haven't heard if it's shipped yet or not. I was told I'd get an email when it has, so I'm assuming it has not?

Joshua Pettit

« Reply #11 on: February 21, 2021, 07:18:07 PM »
BTW it says I'm order #160, so I assume I won't be part of the original 150 commemorative edition run.
Hi All,

The book hasn't shipped yet.  Apologies for the wait.  I was forced to change printing companies midway through the process due to some technicalities with the customized format and their staffing problems related to Covid.

---

Jeff,

Your copy is actually among the first edition (the order number doesn't directly correspond to the copy number).

There are still a handful of copies left for anyone else interested:

AlisterMacKenzie.org

Cheers,

Josh
« Last Edit: February 21, 2021, 07:19:56 PM by Joshua Pettit »

Tim_Weiman

« Reply #12 on: February 22, 2021, 12:10:53 AM »
Josh,

Thanks for bringing this thread forward. I just placed my order. Look forward to seeing the book.

Regards,

Tim Weiman
Houston, TX
Tim Weiman

Niall C

« Reply #13 on: March 20, 2021, 03:43:56 PM »
Any news ?

Niall

Niall C

« Reply #14 on: April 10, 2021, 04:14:26 AM »
Not that I'm getting anxious or anything but worth pointing out I ordered the Fowler book 4 months after the MacKenzie book and the Fowler book has already arrived  ;D

Josh

Any update that you can give us ?

Niall

Joshua Pettit

« Reply #15 on: April 11, 2021, 12:10:12 PM »
Not that I'm getting anxious or anything but worth pointing out I ordered the Fowler book 4 months after the MacKenzie book and the Fowler book has already arrived  ;D

Josh

Any update that you can give us ?

Niall
Hi Niall & All,

Sorry for the slow update, haven't been on GCA in a while.  Printing process has been frustrating to say the least but the new printing company is wrapping up soon, should be shipping by end of the month.  Thanks for your patience.
« Last Edit: April 11, 2021, 01:35:17 PM by Joshua Pettit »

Niall C

« Reply #16 on: April 11, 2021, 01:29:36 PM »
Josh

Thanks for the update, much appreciated.

Niall

Drew Harvie

« Reply #17 on: May 18, 2021, 08:05:02 PM »
So did this ship or am I out $250 American

Joshua Pettit

« Reply #18 on: May 18, 2021, 09:23:47 PM »
Drew,

I'm expecting to receive them by the 29th, then will take 2-3 days turnaround time to get them shipped out to everyone.  Thanks for your patience.

Cheers,

Josh
« Last Edit: May 18, 2021, 09:29:51 PM by Joshua Pettit »

Joshua Pettit

« Reply #19 on: May 18, 2021, 09:27:52 PM »
NOTE:

Each copy will be individually numbered and addressed to the buyer unless otherwise requested.  If anyone ordered a copy that's meant to be a gift for someone else, send me an email if you'd like it addressed to them instead of you.

Info@AlisterMacKenzie.org

Drew Harvie

« Reply #20 on: May 19, 2021, 09:04:14 AM »
Drew,

I'm expecting to receive them by the 29th, then will take 2-3 days turnaround time to get them shipped out to everyone.  Thanks for your patience.

Cheers,

Josh

Thanks Josh for the update! Looking forward to reading.

Niall C

« Reply #21 on: July 19, 2021, 06:23:15 AM »
Josh

I assume I'll be one of the last to get a copy as I'm overseas but it would be good to know whether the books have been delivered to you and are now in the post. Any update would be appreciated.

Thanks

Niall

Anthony Gholz

« Reply #22 on: July 19, 2021, 12:29:36 PM »
site says "sold out"  already a best seller
true?

Michael Wolf

« Reply #23 on: August 09, 2021, 08:51:48 AM »
Josh,

Covid has of course interrupted everyones lives. In many cases to a magnitude that makes delays to a golf book's distribution trivial. But, at least to me, it does seem reasonable to expect more proactive updates from you on your project's status. Particularly since you used this forum to solicit customers for advanced funding of the book.

Michael Wolf

Drew Harvie

« Reply #24 on: August 11, 2021, 05:25:37 PM »
I would like an update

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back