News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Sean_A

CASA de CAMPO VILLA de MADRID: NEGRO
« on: May 30, 2017, 05:44:28 AM »
When one thinks of Spain, global exploration/exploitation, Inquisition, Seve Ballesteros, bullfighting, Flamenco, football and Francisco Franco immediately come to mind.  However, when we consider this short list of people, events, ideas and activities, it is clear Spain is an incredible nation with a history and culture as rich, diverse and complex as any in Europe.  The period between the 1936 Elections to the death of Franco in 1975 seems unimaginable and is yet endlessly fascinating.  I still find it difficult to grasp that Spain was under a dictatorship during my lifetime. 

Equally profound was the Spanish Miracle which took place between 1959 and 1974.  Tainted with the legacy of supporting the Axis powers in WWII and as a dictatorship, Spain was politically and economically isolated. The recovery of the Spanish economy seemed only a hopeful wish. However, with the signing of the Pact of Madrid, over one billion dollars was pumped into the Spanish economy during the 50s in return for permitting US military bases to be established. Wisely, much of this money was funnelled into public works, infrastructure, tourism and industry.  The world has rarely seen economic growth such as this.  The establishment of SEAT (Sociedad Española de Automóviles de Turismo) and rapid expansion of the car industry tells the reader all that is necessary.  Just after WWII there were fewer than 100,000 privately owned vehicles in Spain. On the back of massive SEAT 600 sales, just twenty years later there were more than 1,000,000!   

It may seem strange that the United States played such a major role in helping Spain to develop a free market economy.  It may also seem strange that Franco would allow Casa del Campo to largely remain public after the seige of Madrid, despite ceding a parcel of land once used as a royal hunting estate to the Royal Equestrian Society (Real Sociedad Hipica Espanola). Casa del Campo encompasses nearly seven square miles and it is this park which houses the sprawling Club De Campo Villa de Madrid.  It is thought that the ebb and flow of the Siege of Madrid’s front lines at one time ran quite near CCVM’s 8th green on the Negro course! Indeed, the original course designed by PM Ross and T Simpson was badly damaged during the fighting and never rebuilt. 

To place this club in perspective, the two golf courses are merely a slice of the many sporting delights on offer. There is also tennis, polo, equestrian, hockey and swimming.  In all, the club operates close to 1000 acres and has a membership of 25,000!  The land is mostly publicly owned by the city and used to be the home of the prestigious Real Sociedad Hipica Espanola Club de Campo. In the mid 1980s the city exercised its right to the land and hence CCVM was formed. 

A highly skilled amateur golfer, Javier Arana was the first Spaniard to win a golf tournament abroad when he carried home the French Amateur trophy in 1934.  Virtually unknown in the US and UK, Arana is without doubt Spain’s finest architect.  It is unclear how a former Olympic sailor with no formal engineering or landscape training should enter the world of golf architecture; however, it is apparent that during the 1940s Tom Simpson and Arana developed a close professional relationship.  Spanish golfers are very fortunate events unfolded as they did.  The sum total of Arana’s output is eleven courses, which on the surface doesn’t strike one as prolific.  Yet when we consider that maybe 21 courses were built in Spain during Arana's career, his production is remarkable.  I would also add that among these eleven courses is El Saler, Arana’s consensus masterpiece located near Valencia. 

Soon after the end of the Civil War, Arana planned the reconstruction of Club de Campo which wasn’t opened for play until 1956. There are two courses, the Arana designed Negro was the course which lured me away from the decidedly charming streets and plazas of Madrid. I imply that I was dragged from Madrid, but in truth CCVM is about five kilometres from Puerto del Sol, literally and figuratively the very heart of the city. It is quite easy to play a morning round and meet people in the city for lunch. 

So far as I know, Arana's CCVM's is intact except for #s 15 & 18...not at all bad holes....in fact I quite like the 15th.  CCVM is a fairly hilly property with, as one can imagine, commanding views of the city.  Much of the elevation change is expertly controlled by severe drop shot drives at 1, 5 and 13; allowing for many uphill holes and approaches, but none which are too taxing.  The opening drive heads toward the striking skyscappers of Madrid's Cuatro Torres Business Area. The open areas under the trees often make it easy to find balls, but recovery can be a handful. I found the vegetation and trees to be extremely attractive (and welcome relief from the oppressive 30+ degree heat), but in need of better tree managment.

The flat second hole showcases some of the typical mounding found near many greens.

The short 3rd is fairly long with a demanding green site.  In truth, CCVM is a fairly difficult course.  It is not surprising the club hosted eight Spanish Opens and fourteen Madrid Opens.  Seve Ballesteros must have particularly enjoyed CCVM.  He won the Madrid Open three times and a sole Spanish Open victory which was Seve's final win.  Seve was to have his last hoorah by captaining the winning 1997 Ryder Cup team.  Anyone who saw those matches will not soon forget Seve's passion and determination.  It could be no other way except a Seve victory on Spanish soil.

The first hole which really grabbed my attention is the three shot 4th.  Playing uphill and turning right, a long drive is handsomely rewarded with a view of the green.  For those unable to reach the crest of the hill, the blind second shot doesn't reveal the narrowed fairway.  It is easy to leave the second shot in a large hollow which eats into the fairway.

Madrid is at a surprisingly high elevation of 2000 feet with an extremely dry climate, as evidenced by the dry creek bed crossed on a handful of holes. 

More to follow.

Ciao
« Last Edit: October 06, 2019, 04:16:20 AM by Sean_A »
New plays planned for 2024: Dunfanaghy, Fraserburgh, Hankley Common, Ashridge, Gog Magog Old & Cruden Bay St Olaf

Mike_Clayton

Re: CASA de CAMPO VILLA de MADRID: NEGRO 1-4
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2017, 09:27:14 AM »
Sean,

Didn't every course he did have the 17th as a par 3? El Saler, Puerto de Hierro and Club de Campo all do.

Sean_A

Re: CASA de CAMPO VILLA de MADRID: NEGRO 1-12
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2017, 04:30:46 AM »
Mike

I don't know the answer to your question, but if your gut is telling you Arana liked par 3 penultimate holes its probably true.

As an architect, why do you think this would be the case?

CCVM TOUR CONT

The 5th is one of those holes which could do with significant tree removal as bunkers can't properly be seen.

I think the quality of the course improves significantly from the 6th. This downhill two-shotter slings hard left with a creek threatening the drive. The uphill approach takes us back to the same elevation as the tee.

Looking back up the fairway.

I rarely like reverse camber tee shots, but the 7th is done very well.  Notice how much space is on offer to accomodate the slope. 

Long hitters have an advantage with a view of the green for the second shot on this par 5. Below is the approach after a lay-up. Most of the greens rely on tilt and tiers rather than contouring. This is one of the more interesting greens because of the angled back left shelf.

Another good hole, the shortish par four 8th.

This hole challenges my concepts of trees. Most of the time I would much prefer trees to be wide enough so bunkers are fully visible. However, at CCVM there are a few single trees in front of bunkers which are attractive and provide an aerial hazard. In this case, the effect wasn't quite achieved, but one can see the possibilities.

Below is a look at the grass which is scattered about the course. Finding balls is usually not too difficult, but the grass wraps around the club making recoveries from under trees very difficult.

Playing back to the house, the short 9th is a lovely hole. The use of trees creates a sensation of difficulty. While not an easy hole, the 9th isn't as difficult as it seems.

Looking back to the tee the reader gets an idea of the tiered greens often in evidence.

The back nine is across a parking and park road.  Both members I played with said 10-12 is CCVM's version of Amen Corner.  Regardless, these three holes offer a few of the most difficult shots on the course and a very interesting 10th green.  An otherwise shortish par four with a fairly narrow fairway, the trouble is at the green.  A pimple which turns into a bit of a tier makes much of the green a troublesome two putt.  On this hole the reader also gets a better idea of the single tree in front of a bunker. 

The 11th is an extremely demanding short hole with a plateau green flanked by bunkers. 

Quite flat, the 12th is a long and tough par 4.  The drive is quite narrow due to two trees and bunker up the right.  The approach isn't any easier. Though it isn't obvious, the superb green site sits on a peninsula with bunkering right and fallaways to the left and rear.  Despite its penal nature, I was quite taken by this hole. 

Ciao
« Last Edit: June 16, 2018, 01:28:58 PM by Sean_A »
New plays planned for 2024: Dunfanaghy, Fraserburgh, Hankley Common, Ashridge, Gog Magog Old & Cruden Bay St Olaf

Mike_Clayton

Re: CASA de CAMPO VILLA de MADRID: NEGRO 1-9
« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2017, 07:39:12 AM »
Sean,

I've no idea why you would try to force a par 3 for the sake of it but I remember someone (who would have known -maybe Domingo Hospital) he made a short hole every time as 17. Someone will know better.

Thomas Dai

« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2017, 08:15:18 AM »
Would I be correct in thinking that this course held numerous European tour events in the 80'-90's-00's and was the course that Edoardo Romera beat Seve in an epic long play-off for the Spanish Open sometime in the early 1990's? I think it's also the course where Padraig Harrington won his first tournament a a pro.
On TV it always looked pretty hilly and firm and bouncy and with the slopes and trees the sort of course where 'working the ball' was needed...balata ball that is.

Atb

Mike_Clayton

« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2017, 06:53:21 PM »
Thomas,

It was - but mostly when played in Madrid we played Puerto de Hierro just across the hill in the Madrid Open. The Spanish Open rotated around and occasionally came to Club de Campo.
Puerto de Hierro was the better course.

Adam Lawrence

« Reply #6 on: June 01, 2017, 03:48:32 AM »
Puerta de Hierro is a wonderful club on a spectacular piece of land. You can still see Mr Colt's fingerprints on the golf, though it has been much changed over the years.
Adam Lawrence

Editor, Golf Course Architecture
www.golfcoursearchitecture.net

Principal, Oxford Golf Consulting
www.oxfordgolfconsulting.com

Author, 'More Enduring Than Brass: a biography of Harry Colt' (forthcoming).

Short words are best, and the old words, when short, are the best of all.

Mike_Clayton

« Reply #7 on: June 01, 2017, 04:05:15 AM »
Adam

I was there with Txomin Hospital about six years ago and was surprised at how much some of the holes had changed in the twenty years since I had last played there.

Sean_A

« Reply #8 on: June 02, 2017, 06:42:40 AM »
ATB

So far as I can tell, CCVM hosted 22 Euro events (Spanish Open and Madrid Open), four of which were won by Seve. 

CCVM TOUR CONT

Another sharply decending tee shot comes at 13.  Trees once again add an element of doubt as the entire right side of the fairway is blocked out.  The very good green is tucked into a corner of the course near the road and across the street from the driving range. 

The final three-shot hole, #14, is a double dogleg featuring a slightly kidney shaped green.  While the 5s are a good set, it is disappointing that they are all a bit out of reach in two shots.  As is the case with many holes, the design favours bigger hitters.

Surprisingly, for a well used tour course, the final four holes are all on the short side.  I found them a welcome relief!  The 15th moves left around a bunker to a tiered green moving away from play. 

More to follow.

Ciao

« Last Edit: June 16, 2018, 01:33:24 PM by Sean_A »

Alfonso Erhardt

Re: CASA de CAMPO VILLA de MADRID: NEGRO 1-15
« Reply #9 on: June 02, 2017, 08:38:28 AM »
Regarding Arana's preference for having a 17th as a par 3, it is a certain coincidence that all of his designs do finish that way. However he was not adamant that they did, as many of his plans from courses that finally did not end up being built do have the 17th as a par 4 or 5.

Regarding Club de Campo, the routing is the original one done by Arana with the exception of 15th and 18th which are now in play in the club's other course (of which 9 holes were also routed by Arana). The current 15th is superior to the original one and the 18th is not.

In 1992 the course was toughened by Manuel Piñero, former Spanish pro, and as a result some of the bunkering is not original, especially on the fairways and some of the plateaus in the greens were introduced. In all, however, the course is very good and has some excellent examples of the front-to-back sloping greens that Arana really liked.

Sean_A

Re: CASA de CAMPO VILLA de MADRID: NEGRO 1-15 New
« Reply #10 on: June 04, 2017, 11:43:42 AM »
Alfonso

Thanks for chiming in.  If anyone would know about Arana and Spainish golf it is you.  It is interesting that you say all Arana's courses have par 3 17th holes, but that somehow this was a coincidence. 

I suspected the bunkers have been changed, but what about the mounding around greens?

CCVM TOUR CONT

Like 15, the 16th plays along the M500 (Carreta de Castilla).  It didn't seem to me that it was that difficult to whack a ball left onto this busy road!  Anyway, while attractive, the hole is fairly straight-forward with a sting in its tail in the guise of a green running away from play.

I have seen some small greens and indeed none in my experience is smaller than Painwick's 10th, however, I think there are picnic blankets bigger than CCVM's 17th two tiered green.  It is a great shame trees and the cart path mar the aesthetics. 

The final hole has the most interesting terrain on the course, but the hole doesn't do the land justice.  Don't get me wrong, the hole is fine, but a little uninspired. 

That then is Casa de Campo Villa de Madrid Negro....and I am pleasantly impressed.  I don't think there are any truly outstanding holes, but there are many fine examples of good architecture in a lovely setting.  Holes 6, 8, 9, 12 & 15 come to mind as very good holes.  I was also impressed with the conditioning.  The only complaint I can muster is the sluggish speeds of the fairways and transitions between fairways and greens. But this is a common issue for courses in very hot climates.  Finally, the aspect of the course which impressed me most is the routing.  The front nine moves magically around the hilly property without creating a single hiccup in terms of the walk or awkwardness.  The back nine is less hilly, but with holes such as one-shot 11th, using the ridge expertly and 12 with the peninsula green, the superb routing makes itself known.  If the club could somehow find a way to clear trees and rethink the cart paths, it would go long a way to immeasurably improving the course. 

I guess the bottom line is do I think playing CCVM while spending more than a few days in wonderful Madrid is warranted?  Yes, for sure, but I am one to think that playing a game while on a city break can be immensely rewarding even if it isn't a top course.   2017

Ciao
« Last Edit: December 23, 2022, 02:50:29 PM by Sean_A »

Thomas Dai

Re: CASA de CAMPO VILLA de MADRID: NEGRO
« Reply #11 on: June 04, 2017, 01:37:14 PM »
Thanks for the tour Sean. Nice to see somewhere from different country to the usual suspects profiled.
Atb

Sean_A

« Reply #12 on: June 08, 2017, 03:59:58 AM »
ATB

Yes, I think folks would be pleasantly surprised by CCVM.  I note that Top100 has PGA Catalunya as the #1 course in Spain.  I think CCVM is the better of the two!  The two members I played with said El Saler is hands down the best course in Spain and it is very reachable by train...less than 3 hours.

On another note, five of the top 25 or so courses in Spain are located in Madrid...very close to the city centre. This is something I hadn't appreciated prior to my trip. With Madrid as a proper world class city, it makes for a very good golf getaway...if folks have connections. 

Ciao
« Last Edit: October 06, 2019, 04:25:46 AM by Sean_A »

Kirk Gill

« Reply #13 on: June 08, 2017, 12:59:38 PM »
Sean, thanks for the tour of a course that has never been on my radar. It's interesting that the course adds difficulty by having those trees hiding landing areas on elevated tee shots. Intentional? Or just a product of there perhaps being too many trees on the course in the first place?

The sand seems to be of two varieties, for instance the fairway bunker on 18 compared to the greenside bunker. What's up with that? I don't know that it matters much, but it is noticeable.
"After all, we're not communists."
                             -Don Barzini

Sean_A

« Reply #14 on: June 13, 2017, 08:27:40 AM »
Sean, thanks for the tour of a course that has never been on my radar. It's interesting that the course adds difficulty by having those trees hiding landing areas on elevated tee shots. Intentional? Or just a product of there perhaps being too many trees on the course in the first place?

The sand seems to be of two varieties, for instance the fairway bunker on 18 compared to the greenside bunker. What's up with that? I don't know that it matters much, but it is noticeable.

Kirk

I suspect the trees are not intentional and for the most part they don't work very well....maybe Alfonso will chime in.  However, I really like the 9th with the trees.  They give the impression of a much harder shot than it is.

I didn't pay attention to sand colour.  Mixed styles and colour doesn't bother me if done well.

Ciao
« Last Edit: June 13, 2017, 08:50:41 AM by Sean_A »

Alfonso Erhardt

« Reply #15 on: June 13, 2017, 08:42:16 AM »
The trees are generally not intentional. The course features a mix of oaks and pine trees. The oaks are very old trees and generally located in strategic places in the course, requiring intelligent play to avoid them. They were there when Arana routed the course and many holes take them into account. The pine trees were planted at a later stage, when Spain underwent a pine planting frenzy and people were unaware of the long term effect of the trees in the course. Its hard to get rid of a tree over here, so I don't see those tees getting out of the way soon. I agree that the course would significantly improve with some pruning and tree removal.

Sean_A

« Reply #16 on: July 01, 2017, 05:10:10 AM »
Alfonso

Thanks.  I rather like the trees, but there is no question there are far too many.  Another question, when were the cart paths added and is there any thought to reducing their visual impact on the design?

Ciao

Michael Whitaker

« Reply #17 on: July 02, 2017, 11:41:37 AM »
On another note, five of the top 25 or so courses in Spain are located in Madrid...very close to the city centre. This is something I hadn't appreciated prior to my trip. With Madrid as a proper world class city, it makes for a very good golf getaway...if folks have connections.
Buda Cup 2019 or 2020?
« Last Edit: July 02, 2017, 11:43:43 AM by Michael Whitaker »
"Solving the paradox of proportionality is the heart of golf architecture."  - Tom Doak (11/20/05)

Alfonso Erhardt

« Reply #18 on: July 03, 2017, 03:33:49 AM »
Sean,

I have no idea when the cart paths were added, but my impression is that absolutely no thought was given as to their visual impact. 100% function and 0% form. I would guess that there is no plan to reduce their impact. Unfortunately the interest for GCA is still in so limited over here that nobody thinks about these things.....

Sean_A

« Reply #19 on: July 11, 2017, 05:00:45 AM »
Sean,

I have no idea when the cart paths were added, but my impression is that absolutely no thought was given as to their visual impact. 100% function and 0% form. I would guess that there is no plan to reduce their impact. Unfortunately the interest for GCA is still in so limited over here that nobody thinks about these things.....

Alfonso

So the club doesn't have a masterplan or a to do wishlist?

Ciao

Alfonso Erhardt

« Reply #20 on: July 11, 2017, 05:24:14 AM »
I am not 100% sure, but I don't think so. I understand that they fix things when they break....

Sean_A

« Reply #21 on: March 04, 2019, 12:14:10 PM »
A bump for Adam!

Ciao

Adam Lawrence

« Reply #22 on: March 04, 2019, 12:20:50 PM »
Cheers Sean
Adam Lawrence

Editor, Golf Course Architecture
www.golfcoursearchitecture.net

Principal, Oxford Golf Consulting
www.oxfordgolfconsulting.com

Author, 'More Enduring Than Brass: a biography of Harry Colt' (forthcoming).

Short words are best, and the old words, when short, are the best of all.

Sean_A

« Reply #23 on: October 06, 2019, 04:30:39 AM »
I see the Open de Espana is being held at CCVM this week. It looks like the bunkers have grown some hair! Anyway, take time to watch a bit of the event. The course is very good even if the pros tear it up.

Happy Hockey
« Last Edit: October 06, 2019, 04:44:21 AM by Sean_A »

Sean_A

« Reply #24 on: October 08, 2022, 08:57:37 AM »
I see the Open de Espana is being held again at CCVM. It's a really good and highly interesting course. Try to watch a hole or two.

Ciao

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back