News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Tommy Williamsen

So what's with the sound on CBS?
« on: August 08, 2020, 06:21:18 PM »
Over the last few weeks watching CBS's telecasts of golf has been horrendously hard. There is so much background noise I can barely hear the announcers. It doesn't happen on either GOLF CHANNEL or ESPN. I have to turn off the sound. What gives? Don't they know?
Where there is no love, put love; there you will find love.
St. John of the Cross

"Deep within your soul-space is a magnificent cathedral where you are sweet beyond telling." Rumi

Joe Bausch

Re: So what's with the sound on CBS?
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2020, 07:28:58 PM »
I wish I could help you, TDub.  I have Comcast cable here in SE PA and the sound is fine.  And I'm old school and have a roof antenna and the OTA CBS broadcast of the tournament sounds fine as well.
« Last Edit: August 08, 2020, 07:31:41 PM by Joe Bausch »
@jwbausch (for new photo albums)
The site for the Cobb's Creek project:  https://cobbscreek.org/
Nearly all Delaware Valley golf courses in photo albums: Bausch Collection

Tommy Williamsen

« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2020, 07:37:15 PM »
Interesting. Maybe it is my provider.
St. John of the Cross

"Deep within your soul-space is a magnificent cathedral where you are sweet beyond telling." Rumi

Joe Bausch

« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2020, 08:22:24 PM »
Got a neighbor with the same provider?
@jwbausch (for new photo albums)
The site for the Cobb's Creek project:  https://cobbscreek.org/
Nearly all Delaware Valley golf courses in photo albums: Bausch Collection

Tommy Williamsen

« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2020, 08:37:11 PM »
I changed a sound setting on the cable box. Voila. Great sound. Glad I asked.
St. John of the Cross

Bernie Bell

« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2020, 08:41:05 AM »
At Harding, it sounds to me like those infernal urban dirt bikers are somewhere within range of the microphones.  What I remember from living at Lake Merced for a while a long time ago was the gun club that seemed to get started pretty early on weekend mornings.  Don't know if that's still there, perhaps shut down for tournaments on TV.

John Crowley

« Reply #6 on: August 09, 2020, 09:48:09 AM »
Watch on mute to avoid all the hackneyed cliches. Especially from lead announcer.

Kalen Braley

« Reply #7 on: August 09, 2020, 11:52:33 AM »
While I like CBS telecasts in general, can Ian Baker Finch possibly be any further up the players backsides kissing that booty?

I get it that he wants to curry favor with the players, but the turning point for me was how he vehemently defended John Rahm at Jacks tourney and insisted it wasn't a penalty and he would never so something like that and would have self reported, yada, yada, yada...

Kevin_Reilly

« Reply #8 on: August 09, 2020, 01:18:22 PM »
What I remember from living at Lake Merced for a while a long time ago was the gun club that seemed to get started pretty early on weekend mornings.  Don't know if that's still there, perhaps shut down for tournaments on TV.

The Pacific Rod and Gun Club closed in 2015.  The SFPD still has a pistol range out there.

https://www.sfexaminer.com/news/sf-bids-farewell-to-historic-pacific-rod-and-gun-club/
"GOLF COURSES SHOULD BE ENJOYED RATHER THAN RATED" - Tom Watson

Tim Martin

« Reply #9 on: February 18, 2023, 04:34:26 PM »
Having Trevor Immelman and Jim Nantz together in the booth is the biggest problem with the sound on CBS as it’s painful to listen to. I miss Nick Faldo compared to the current lineup. Please tell me how Immelman got the big seat because he could make an onion cry. Sorry for the OT rant but I feel better now. ;D
« Last Edit: February 18, 2023, 09:23:53 PM by Tim Martin »

Erik J. Barzeski

« Reply #10 on: February 18, 2023, 05:36:43 PM »
Jim Nance
???

Also, many feel Immelman is an upgrade to Nick Faldo, who was really offering very little the last several years.
Erik J. Barzeski @iacas
Author, Lowest Score Wins, Instructor/Coach, and Lifetime Student of the Game.

I generally ignore Rob, Tim, and Garland.

Tim Martin

« Reply #11 on: February 18, 2023, 05:57:05 PM »
Jim Nance
???

Also, many feel Immelman is an upgrade to Nick Faldo, who was really offering very little the last several years.

If you’re a fan of Jim Nantz I won’t argue with you. Regardless of whether it’s golf, college basketball or the NFL he has never impressed me with his commentary.
« Last Edit: February 18, 2023, 09:23:20 PM by Tim Martin »

Steve Sayre

« Reply #12 on: February 18, 2023, 07:03:16 PM »
Not surprised there is some debate about the "new guy" (seems inevitable) but the critique of Nance is way off in my judgement.  He is the gold standard for content and presentation stye, operates at a whole different level. Still the hardest working and best prepared with a prodigious memory to boot.

And one of the nicest humans you could ever meet.

Rick Sides

« Reply #13 on: February 18, 2023, 07:51:04 PM »
Jim Nantz and Trevor both seem too fake and rehearsed. Renner and Pepper are the only redeeming thing

Erik J. Barzeski

« Reply #14 on: February 18, 2023, 09:04:48 PM »
If you’re a fan of Jim Nance I won’t argue with you.
I don't know who that is.

Not surprised there is some debate about the "new guy" (seems inevitable) but the critique of Nance is way off in my judgement.  He is the gold standard for content and presentation stye, operates at a whole different level. Still the hardest working and best prepared with a prodigious memory to boot.And one of the nicest humans you could ever meet.
Yeah, to all of that.
Erik J. Barzeski @iacas
Author, Lowest Score Wins, Instructor/Coach, and Lifetime Student of the Game.

I generally ignore Rob, Tim, and Garland.

Tim Martin

« Reply #15 on: February 18, 2023, 09:26:06 PM »

Not surprised there is some debate about the "new guy" (seems inevitable) but the critique of Nance is way off in my judgement.  He is the gold standard for content and presentation stye, operates at a whole different level. Still the hardest working and best prepared with a prodigious memory to boot.And one of the nicest humans you could ever meet.
Yeah, to all of that.

I corrected the spelling of Jim’s last name. Sorry for the error.

Matthew Rose

« Reply #16 on: February 18, 2023, 09:31:34 PM »
Jim Nantz can be good if he's just being natural, but I could do without all the carefully rehearsed and contrived catch-phrases, especially at the Masters.

I think his NFL broadcasts are more tolerable, or at least they were until Tony Romo started drinking too much caffeine.

Golf commentary suffers from the same thing most other sports commentary does - too much talking and too little space.
American-Australian. Trackman Course Guy. Fatalistic sports fan. Drummer. Bass player. Father. Cat lover.

Jeff Evagues

« Reply #17 on: February 18, 2023, 10:41:02 PM »

Yeah, to all of that.
Jim Nance played fullback for the Bills in the '60s.
Be the ball

astavrides

« Reply #18 on: February 19, 2023, 07:55:16 AM »
Nobilo is the one who I find annoying. The bad news is that he never says anything very insightful or funny. The good ones is that if you don't listen carefully, with his accent and his mumbling, you really can't understand too much of what he's saying.
otoh, I enjoy Colt Knost.

Jim_Coleman

« Reply #19 on: February 19, 2023, 08:26:46 AM »
   Totally agree on Nobilo. He almost never says anything not obvious or insipid. His accent gives him fake gravitas. Colt Knost is great fun and offers interesting commentary. Nantz’s sanctimony, fake self deprecation and sincerity gets old fast.

Kalen Braley

« Reply #20 on: February 19, 2023, 11:09:28 AM »
While I don't know if we can call any of them great at what they do, at least Nantz is the least annoying of the bunch, and occasionally has some good moments.

P.S.  Agreed on Trevor getting the new top spot, he's as wooden and fake as they come.  Must have some good dirt on one or more of the CBS Sports Execs

Mark Kiely

« Reply #21 on: February 19, 2023, 11:32:59 AM »
I, too, have been scratching my head a bit about Immelman landing this role, but then yesterday I stumped myself with the question, "Who would you want to see instead?"

I really can't think of many recently retired players who would fit the position very well. Prerequisites seem to include having won a major and/or having a distinctive accent. Any suggestions? Poach Darren Clarke from the Champions Tour?
« Last Edit: February 19, 2023, 11:34:49 AM by Mark Kiely »
My golf course photo albums on Flickr: https://goo.gl/dWPF9z

Kalen Braley

« Reply #22 on: February 19, 2023, 11:42:37 AM »
I, too, have been scratching my head a bit about Immelman landing this role, but then yesterday I stumped myself with the question, "Who would you want to see instead?"

I really can't think of many recently retired players who would fit the position very well. Prerequisites seem to include having won a major and/or having a distinctive accent. Any suggestions? Poach Darren Clarke from the Champions Tour?

Mark,

That's a great question, between NBC (Azinger & Hicks) and CBS (Jim & Trevor), it almost has me pining for Johnny Miller, and I couldn't stand the guy!  ;D

Carl Rogers

« Reply #23 on: February 19, 2023, 02:18:15 PM »
Watch on mute to avoid all the hackneyed cliches. Especially from lead announcer.
+1
When will all the commentaters realize the game is many times more interesting than they are?
« Last Edit: February 19, 2023, 02:23:54 PM by Carl Rogers »
I decline to accept the end of man. ... William Faulkner

astavrides

« Reply #24 on: February 19, 2023, 06:04:12 PM »
   Totally agree on Nobilo. He almost never says anything not obvious or insipid. His accent gives him fake gravitas. Colt Knost is great fun and offers interesting commentary. Nantz’s sanctimony, fake self deprecation and sincerity gets old fast.

I like Nantz, but thanks on the other two.
Btw, Dottie gets like 1/3 of the shot calls totally wrong. Maybe it's the difference between knowing what kind of shots she can play vs. what a man can play. Hopefully, Colt will replace her as lead on-course commentator soon, but I'm not holding my breath on that. (John Wood on NBC is really good too). And it's kind of bizarre that they have Mark Immelman on the telecast without a pedigree known to Americans. Argues for the Immelmans have dirt on CBS theory that the earlier poster had. ;-)

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back