News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Tim Martin

U.S. Open and PGA With No Fans
« on: July 30, 2020, 08:51:27 AM »
Is this an example of professional sports trying too hard in the short term? Are the PGA and USGA diluting their showpieces?

Tommy Williamsen

Re: U.S. Open and PGA With No Fans
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2020, 09:13:07 AM »
No, it’s about keeping people safe. We will look back on our response and determine that we did not do enough to curb the spread of the virus.
Where there is no love, put love; there you will find love.
St. John of the Cross

"Deep within your soul-space is a magnificent cathedral where you are sweet beyond telling." Rumi

Bernie Bell

« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2020, 09:22:55 AM »
Is this an example of professional sports trying too hard in the short term? Are the PGA and USGA diluting their showpieces?

Not in my opinion.  The product is as good as ever (or as boring as ever, to some).  The broadcasts are improved without stands and knuckleheads yelling.  And virtually alone among professional sports in USA they're not clubbing us over the head with politics.  I don't think they're diluting anything. 
« Last Edit: July 30, 2020, 09:29:51 AM by Bernie Bell »

Tim Martin

« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2020, 09:44:52 AM »
No, it’s about keeping people safe. We will look back on our response and determine that we did not do enough to curb the spread of the virus.

Tommy-I agree that safety is the key. The Marlins didn’t have any fans either and now MLB is on the cliff.

Jason Thurman

« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2020, 10:10:46 AM »
I don't think of the US Open and PGA Championship as being primarily spectator events. I think of them as national championships that happen to be of interest to spectators. To me, it makes sense to hold them with or without fans on the ground, just like it makes sense to hold our club championship - even without galleries, I like that the best players get to compete for the highest crown.

The Tour, to me, is primarily a spectator showcase. It's a Tour, after all, so the idea of playing Tour events without spectators is a little more complicated to me. But plenty of people are happy to be able to watch, and keeping fans out has seemed to do what was hoped in terms of allowing entertainment to continue without creating significant risk.

When do we think fans start returning to the grounds? Is there already a date planned, or no? A patron-less Masters would feel weird to me. Usually the lack of fans isn't weird, but when Tiger made birdie on 18 in round 1 at The Memorial and was met with silence, that was strange. Augusta without roars would be strange too.

Then again, it's Georgia - the governor may insist that twice as many badges as usual are issued.
"There will always be haters. That’s just the way it is. Hating dudes marry hating women and have hating ass kids." - Evan Turner

Some of y'all have never been called out in bold green font and it really shows.

V. Kmetz

« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2020, 01:49:33 PM »

Not in my opinion.  The product is as good as ever (or as boring as ever, to some).  The broadcasts are improved without stands and knuckleheads yelling.  And virtually alone among professional sports in USA they're not clubbing us over the head with politics. 

And virtually alone among professional sports in the USA in having the whitest, wealthiest, most-privileged, country cluPPP athletes this side of the professional equestrian circuit... of course they don't have to say a world about politics; its their ilk who's doing the clubbing
"The tee shot must first be hit straight and long between a vast bunker on the left which whispers 'slice' in the player's ear, and a wilderness on the right which induces a hurried hook." -

Bernie Bell

« Reply #6 on: July 30, 2020, 02:04:26 PM »
" . . . . the whitest, wealthiest, most-privileged, country cluPPP . . . . their ilk" etc

Wait, are you referring to the PGA tour or the club(s) where you work and about which you often post about?  You going to be PPProtesting at the US Open?
« Last Edit: July 30, 2020, 02:08:41 PM by Bernie Bell »

V. Kmetz

« Reply #7 on: July 30, 2020, 02:34:34 PM »
"Wait, are you referring to the PGA tour or the club(s) where you work and about which you often post about?  You going to be PPProtesting at the US Open?

The PGA Tour and all its silent white types who don't bother you.. what clubs are you talking about?

I might but you should definitely put on your sandwich board and go.

"The tee shot must first be hit straight and long between a vast bunker on the left which whispers 'slice' in the player's ear, and a wilderness on the right which induces a hurried hook." -

Thomas Dai

« Reply #8 on: July 31, 2020, 12:53:47 PM »
Be nice to see the course and appreciate more of its features, much easier to do on TV with no fans, grandstands etc around.
An historically diluted field maybe with less travelling to play and who knows who may have to drop out at some stage either before or during the event if they or someone close to them is or becomes C-19 effected.
Atb

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back