News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Peter Flory

Re: The Lido to be rebuilt in Wisconsin?
« Reply #175 on: September 17, 2021, 02:03:59 PM »
That's not me on that green- I would have been wearing shorts. 

Brian's instagram photos have really been amazing ( https://www.instagram.com/bschneidergolf/ )- and of course the sculpting work that they are doing is the reason.  That 10th green complex (in his latest pics) is something to behold.  For now, you have to use your imagination for the waste areas and the scruff, but seeing pics of the original should make that easier to visualize.

I truly can't wait to play it with you guys! 

Tim Gallant

« Reply #176 on: September 17, 2021, 02:17:50 PM »
My goodness - the sheer audacity of the undulations and the scale looks jaw dropping. This will (was?) not be a course of half measures. Just look how deep that thumbprint is on the short hole. Holy smokes! I can't wait to see it!

Thomas Dai

« Reply #177 on: September 18, 2021, 09:48:12 AM »
Lido website - amazing original subject and amazing graphics - well worth exploring - https://thelido.com/home
Bit of a wow to say the very least!
Atb

Thomas Dai

« Reply #178 on: September 19, 2021, 02:54:55 AM »
Another constructing Lido in Wisconsin article worth reading - https://www.golfdigest.com/story/the-lido-sand-valley-robotic-bulldozers/amp?__twitter_impression=true

Here’s a link to a podcast with Brian Zager about his involvement in the project and the use of computer technology etc in its design and construction - https://www.thesidehilllie.com/amp/episode-7-brian-zager-mapping-the-lido?__twitter_impression=true

And here’s a link to a video with Mike Keiser Jnr - https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=fYTdsbVOQYo

Atb
« Last Edit: December 05, 2021, 05:39:31 AM by Thomas Dai »

John Foley

« Reply #179 on: September 19, 2021, 12:34:43 PM »
Is there a scorecard / hole yardage available? The flyover / renders are amazing but trying to get a feeling for distance.
Integrity in the moment of choice

Tom_Doak

« Reply #180 on: September 19, 2021, 02:14:58 PM »
Is there a scorecard / hole yardage available? The flyover / renders are amazing but trying to get a feeling for distance.

The yardages in 1920 were as follows:

1st - 384
2nd- 421
3rd- 175
4th- 466 [on direct route]
5th- 378
6th- 493
7th- 469 [also a par 5 I think]
8th- 234
9th- 357

10th-414
11th-408
12th-433
13th-316
14th-148
15th-404
16th-206
17th-563
18th-424

On our version, you will be able to play from these yardages -- the "1920 tees".  But there will also be a tee further back on quite a few of the holes -- the 2nd, 4th, 6th, 7th, 11th, 12th, 13th, 15th, 17th, and 18th [I think].  I have not measured all of those out, but they should add between 300 and 400 yards to the "2020" tees.  Note that these are all possible because the holes were stretched apart [widened between holes] for safety reasons, which left room for more tees.

Dave Duevel

« Reply #181 on: October 12, 2021, 12:51:37 PM »
For those following along, there are some great recent updates on the Lido website.

Some incredible aerial photos are shared, with my favorite being the last photo on this webpage: https://thelido.com/updates/2021/5/3/initial-clearing-begins-hrs63-xjrb7-zdes4-tdfw4-fhscp-87fjx-fbyt9.

All of the updates can be found here: https://thelido.com/updates

Nice job by all involved as they document the process!

Jerry Rossi

« Reply #182 on: May 19, 2022, 11:25:54 PM »

Got to check out the magic happening in Rome, WI yesterday!  What an absolute marvel that TD and his guys are re-creating!
The greens are MASSIVE and so are the contours/features!  Original or not, I think this is going to be a very special golf course and I can't wait to play it.
Instagram: @putt4dough24

Tim Gallant

« Reply #183 on: May 20, 2022, 06:28:12 AM »
Looks very cool! Can't wait to play it when it opens.

I believe this has been answered, but will right of 4 be OOB? Also, what is the plan for the 'native' areas? Will they be left as exposed sand, or is there a plan to plant something in these areas (like a marram, etc), which would replicate how brutal the non-playing surfaces' seemed to be?

Tom_Doak

« Reply #184 on: May 20, 2022, 10:05:58 AM »

I believe this has been answered, but will right of 4 be OOB? Also, what is the plan for the 'native' areas? Will they be left as exposed sand, or is there a plan to plant something in these areas (like a marram, etc), which would replicate how brutal the non-playing surfaces' seemed to be?

Right of #4 will be marked as a lateral hazard, I believe, though we are hoping people won't try to play from over there.  If we marked it OOB that would be stroke and distance, which is not how the original hole played, either.

They are just starting to seed a native mix into the areas between holes.  Michael Keiser preferred to go with a mix that is native to Wisconsin [because the resort has made ecology and native habitat a strong ethos], so no marram -- I don't think it's entirely coincidental that it will play somewhat easier than the original Lido as a result.  Personally, I would have liked to see some marram [or there is a beach grass that's native to Wisconsin] to replicate the texture of Lido more accurately, but he who buys the seed, makes the rules.

Jon Claydon

« Reply #185 on: June 27, 2022, 06:47:51 PM »
Was fortunate to walk several holes at the Lido last week.  The green site at #4 is pretty spectacular, as is the green for #12 just next to it.  The Alps also looks incredible. 

Hat tip to Tom and all. 

Tim Martin

« Reply #186 on: September 16, 2022, 05:37:45 PM »
There is an article today in GolfWeek with some stunning pictures of the grassed holes. The contours on 18 green are bold. WOW!!!!

Garland Bayley

« Reply #187 on: September 16, 2022, 07:57:09 PM »
« Last Edit: September 17, 2022, 12:01:05 PM by Garland Bayley »
"I enjoy a course where the challenges are contained WITHIN it, and recovery is part of the game  not a course where the challenge is to stay ON it." Jeff Warne

Tripp Lewis

« Reply #188 on: September 23, 2022, 01:29:41 PM »
How many holes are open now? Looks like several folks have been out there playing this week.

Mike Hendren

« Reply #189 on: September 29, 2022, 01:35:37 PM »
Now that I’m playing 3 days a week I assumed my traveling days were over.  Change of plan after enjoying this thread!
Two Corinthians walk into a bar ....

Jerry Kluger

« Reply #190 on: September 29, 2022, 02:43:35 PM »
Is the predominant wind direction in Wisconsin different from Long Island (I presume it is) and are the holes in the relative same direction so that they play the same as they did at the original?  Do they follow the same routing direction with respect to each other as compared to the original Lido?

Peter Flory

« Reply #191 on: September 29, 2022, 11:04:49 PM »
Is the predominant wind direction in Wisconsin different from Long Island (I presume it is) and are the holes in the relative same direction so that they play the same as they did at the original?  Do they follow the same routing direction with respect to each other as compared to the original Lido?

The Lido SV is oriented exactly the same as the original, with most holes running north and south.  A great thing about that is that the sun is never in your eyes during the round, no matter what time of day. 

The wind roses were between Nekoosa/ Rome and Lido Beach are nearly identical.  The magnitude of the wind is slightly higher by 2-3 MPH in Wisconsin, surprisingly.  For both, there are prevailing winds out of the W and S, but they gets N and E winds too, at about the same proportions.  The course itself seems to have been designed with all the possible winds in mind. 

Thomas Dai

« Reply #192 on: September 30, 2022, 03:53:44 AM »
Has a detailed ‘how we did it’ video been made? If so it would be fascinating to see it and also a tremendous historical record?
Atb

Later edit - see this Golf Digest article -https://www.golfdigest.com/story/the-lido-sand-valley-robotic-bulldozers?utm_medium=social&utm_source=twitter&utm_campaign=golfdigest
« Last Edit: October 04, 2022, 08:43:02 AM by Thomas Dai »

Dan Moore

« Reply #193 on: September 30, 2022, 10:33:39 AM »

The Lido SV is oriented exactly the same as the original, with most holes running north and south.  A great thing about that is that the sun is never in your eyes during the round, no matter what time of day. 

The wind roses were between Nekoosa/ Rome and Lido Beach are nearly identical.  The magnitude of the wind is slightly higher by 2-3 MPH in Wisconsin, surprisingly.  For both, there are prevailing winds out of the W and S, but they gets N and E winds too, at about the same proportions.  The course itself seems to have been designed with all the possible winds in mind.

The finish of the Lido into a S wind will be very tough. I've played 17 580 yds into a 2-3 club wind and its a 4 shot hole with a huge carry bunker at 200 yds into a green with an awesome false front. The 18th prize winning hole goes in the same direction.
"Is there any other game which produces in the human mind such enviable insanity."  Bernard Darwin

PCCraig

« Reply #194 on: October 04, 2022, 02:31:48 PM »
Early reports are that the golf course is CRAZY difficult...?
H.P.S.

Dan Moore

« Reply #195 on: October 04, 2022, 03:36:18 PM »
Early reports are that the golf course is CRAZY difficult...?

I don't think its crazy hard, but it will be challenging. The fairway bunkering is robust to say the least, but there is plenty of room to play.  We still haven't played half the course (we're playing all 18 for 1st time in 2 weeks for the member/member) and they are some very big holes in those 9 (Alps, Biarritz, Mackenzie's prize winner) so the trial is not even over yet. The course and greens are not up to speed yet so will be interesting to see how it plays in a year or so. The extent of contouring in some of the fairways has to be seen to be believed. So far each hole has a very unique personality and offers some sort of test both with how and where to play. Challenging but fun is my verdict so far, but as I said the trial isn't half over.
"Is there any other game which produces in the human mind such enviable insanity."  Bernard Darwin

Alex Miller

« Reply #196 on: November 01, 2022, 02:38:41 PM »
A fantastic video showing the first ever round on The Lido featuring Tom Doak and Peter Flory (plus EAL and Mike Keiser Jr.) 

I really enjoyed the watch and hearing from Tom and Peter. I hope we'll all have our own experience on this course soon enough, but this piece took my level of appreciation and anticipation of this project to a whole other level. Kudos to all involved! 

P.S. GCA and its contributors with a shoutout as well.

Thomas Dai

« Reply #197 on: November 01, 2022, 03:29:54 PM »
A fantastic video showing the first ever round on The Lido featuring Tom Doak and Peter Flory (plus EAL and Mike Keiser Jr.) 
I really enjoyed the watch and hearing from Tom and Peter. I hope we'll all have our own experience on this course soon enough, but this piece took my level of appreciation and anticipation of this project to a whole other level. Kudos to all involved! 
P.S. GCA and its contributors with a shoutout as well.

This piece is well worth watching. Fascinating and educational.
Well done to all involved.
Atb

Ally Mcintosh

« Reply #198 on: November 01, 2022, 04:52:27 PM »
He does by far the best golf course videos… leaves the others in the dust.

Peter Flory

« Reply #199 on: November 01, 2022, 07:24:25 PM »
He does by far the best golf course videos… leaves the others in the dust.

You're at the mercy of the production team with things like this, but I thought EAL and his guys did a really good job.  He took the time to read everything that we gave him beforehand for weeks so that he understood the history and was able to focus on the appropriate aspects of it.  And he really does have the passion for this, on camera and off.  Great job by his guys to do all the visuals as well.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back