News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

PCCraig

The Lido to be rebuilt in Wisconsin?
« on: July 28, 2020, 03:46:41 PM »
Hearing rumors (and surprised nothing posted here yet) from quite a few folks that the famed Lido will be rebuilt as part of a private club located very close to Sand Valley in Wisconsin.

Anyone else hearing something similar?
H.P.S.

Cal Seifert

Re: The Lido to be rebuilt in Wisconsin?
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2020, 04:09:16 PM »
They won’t have to worry about the Biarritz eroding into the ocean.

JC Jones

« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2020, 05:32:14 PM »
We will get the opportunity to do a hole by hole match play between Lido (Thailand) and Lido (Wisconsin).
I get it, you are mad at the world because you are an adult caddie and few people take you seriously.

Excellent spellers usually lack any vision or common sense.

I know plenty of courses that are in the red, and they are killing it.

John Emerson

« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2020, 06:52:19 PM »
How is this possible to duplicate in the middle of Wisconsin?  I guess with enough money anything is possible though.  I, for one, love the lore of Lido, but is this even possible for this type of course to live up to the hype?  I feel like these types of things usually fall short.
“There’s links golf, then everything else.”

Drew Harvie

« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2020, 06:53:27 PM »
We will get the opportunity to do a hole by hole match play between Lido (Thailand) and Lido (Wisconsin).

Two is better than one!

Joel_Stewart

« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2020, 10:55:15 PM »
I guess it's out of the bag. Michael Keiser is obsessed with the Lido and wants to build it there.

They sent some photos to the partners last week, using the ones posted here on GCA.  Tom Doak will be the architect.

My guess it will be a few years away.

Ronald Montesano

« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2020, 06:42:32 AM »
Well, it wasn't out of the bag until that last post. It was simply rumor, wafting on the wind.
Coming in August 2023
~Manakiki
~OSU Scarlet
~OSU Grey
~NCR South
~Springfield
~Columbus
~Lake Forest (OH)
~Sleepy Hollow (OH)

Jeff Schley

« Reply #7 on: July 29, 2020, 08:22:58 AM »
I had only hear Keiser and Wisconsin, didn't know Doak or private. Unless built concurrently with Doaks short course which I don't believe has even started yet, it will be several years before we see it.  Exciting stuff.
Can't wait to see Peter Flory's Lido course built as a simulated course in it's entirety.
"To give anything less than your best, is to sacrifice your gifts."
- Steve Prefontaine

PCCraig

« Reply #8 on: July 29, 2020, 08:48:22 AM »
From what I've heard it may be a bit of a real estate development. Good ol' fashioned selling lots to pay for the golf course. So, perhaps the course will be built more quickly depending on interest in joining/building at the club.

I thought Tom Doak's Sand Valley course was officially on hold due to the economy?
H.P.S.

Tom_Doak

« Reply #9 on: July 29, 2020, 10:07:21 AM »
Well, it wasn't out of the bag until that last post. It was simply rumor, wafting on the wind.

Everything's a rumor until the money is committed, especially in the days of coronavirus, so there's not much reason to discuss it now.

And honestly there isn't much to discuss if it goes ahead, until it is ready to play.  The intent is to recreate the golf course as best we can.  The only changes will be to spread out the holes in spots for safety reasons, which might allow for a few extra tees.  Otherwise we will be trying to rebuild the golf holes and features as precisely as we can - I'm not going to try to redesign or improve the holes.

It's a separate project financed independently of Sand Valley, so the timing of the two are not related.  But my guess is that this will either get going soon, or not at all.  They are taking deposits for memberships and you can only hold onto that money for so long.

Mark Fedeli

« Reply #10 on: July 29, 2020, 11:50:08 AM »

Everything's a rumor until the money is committed, especially in the days of coronavirus, so there's not much reason to discuss it now.

And honestly there isn't much to discuss if it goes ahead, until it is ready to play.  The intent is to recreate the golf course as best we can.  The only changes will be to spread out the holes in spots for safety reasons, which might allow for a few extra tees.  Otherwise we will be trying to rebuild the golf holes and features as precisely as we can - I'm not going to try to redesign or improve the holes.

It's a separate project financed independently of Sand Valley, so the timing of the two are not related.  But my guess is that this will either get going soon, or not at all.  They are taking deposits for memberships and you can only hold onto that money for so long.

I'm all for this. I understand the hesitation some have for tribute courses or direct recreations, but the outsized lore and legend of Lido has earned it this opportunity. And its existence can only help educate people about golf and GCA history. But most importantly, Tom's work expresses a diversity of ideas and concepts — for him specifically to try this is exciting and fits in nicely with his overall career. To go from the extremes of minimalism/naturalism to not only moving a lot of earth, but moving it to near-exactly match a NLE that in its day had moved a shocking amount of earth... that's the kind of variety I can get behind. Let's have some fun, folks!
South Jersey to Brooklyn. @marrrkfedeli

Garland Bayley

« Reply #11 on: July 29, 2020, 11:55:09 AM »
Otherwise we will be trying to rebuild the golf holes and features as precisely as we can - I'm not going to try to redesign or improve the holes.

What will be the source of that precision?
"I enjoy a course where the challenges are contained WITHIN it, and recovery is part of the game  not a course where the challenge is to stay ON it." Jeff Warne

Mike Hendren

« Reply #12 on: July 29, 2020, 11:56:12 AM »
So, in a nutshell Lido's waitin' for the go?

Bogey
Two Corinthians walk into a bar ....

Kalen Braley

« Reply #13 on: July 29, 2020, 12:07:56 PM »
Otherwise we will be trying to rebuild the golf holes and features as precisely as we can - I'm not going to try to redesign or improve the holes.

I'm guessing this thread wouldn't be a bad place to start.  Peter has done some fine work.

https://www.golfclubatlas.com/forum/index.php/topic,65640.0.html

Garland Bayley

« Reply #14 on: July 29, 2020, 12:26:16 PM »

I'm guessing this thread wouldn't be a bad place to start.  Peter has done some fine work.

https://www.golfclubatlas.com/forum/index.php/topic,65640.0.html

Like everyone on this site doesn't know about that thread?  ::)
"I enjoy a course where the challenges are contained WITHIN it, and recovery is part of the game  not a course where the challenge is to stay ON it." Jeff Warne

Kalen Braley

« Reply #15 on: July 29, 2020, 12:58:50 PM »
Perhaps, but you obviously didn't bother to read it then, because if you had you would know it contains a great deal of detailed and fairly precise information.

Garland Bayley

« Reply #16 on: July 29, 2020, 02:14:50 PM »
Perhaps, but you obviously didn't bother to read it then, because if you had you would know it contains a great deal of detailed and fairly precise information.

We've all read it.  ::)

Michael Moore

« Reply #17 on: July 29, 2020, 02:47:57 PM »
I heard they were doing it in a Thai swamp . . .
Metaphor is social and shares the table with the objects it intertwines and the attitudes it reconciles. Opinion, like the Michelin inspector, dines alone. - Adam Gopnik, The Table Comes First

Michael Blake

« Reply #18 on: July 29, 2020, 03:31:00 PM »

We've all read it.  ::)

I think it's time for another GRUDGE MATCH!  :)

Drew Harvie

« Reply #19 on: July 29, 2020, 03:33:34 PM »

I had heard rumours for a year or so of similar nature, but didn't want to be the one to leak it  ;)

Tim_Weiman

« Reply #20 on: July 29, 2020, 03:36:25 PM »

Tom,

Thanks for sharing what you could. Hope it happens for you.
Tim Weiman

Jerry Kluger

« Reply #21 on: July 29, 2020, 03:46:03 PM »
I remember being at Bandon and Ran was there along with George Bahto as well as Tom Doak when they were opening Old Mac and how proud and excited George was to show Ran the course.  It makes me sad that George would not see any recreation of Lido as he was so close to the course and explained it in great depth in his book.

Peter Flory

« Reply #22 on: July 29, 2020, 04:20:01 PM »
I remember being at Bandon and Ran was there along with George Bahto as well as Tom Doak when they were opening Old Mac and how proud and excited George was to show Ran the course.  It makes me sad that George would not see any recreation of Lido as he was so close to the course and explained it in great depth in his book.

It's strange when you know that you are witnessing history.  That is a pretty cool memory. 

Adam Clayman

« Reply #23 on: July 29, 2020, 05:40:14 PM »
If MK is obsessed with Lido, we have Gib to thank. Thanks Gibby

But it does beg the question; Why hasn't he hired Jim Urbina to build a proper homage to his favorite dead guy, Alister MacKenzie?
"It's unbelievable how much you don't know about the game you've been playing your whole life." - Mickey Mantle

Mark Hissey

« Reply #24 on: August 02, 2020, 11:24:30 PM »
Maybe Jim is waiting for something else?  :o

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back