News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Adam Clayman

Re: Is the 14th hole at Cypress Point what the 18th wishes it could be?
« Reply #25 on: July 29, 2020, 05:36:41 PM »
I'm reminded of the story of how disappointed Dr. Mac was on how well received the course was immediately after opening. He wanted it to be more divisive.

Looks like he finally got his wish.
"It's unbelievable how much you don't know about the game you've been playing your whole life." - Mickey Mantle

Mark_Fine

« Reply #26 on: July 29, 2020, 06:57:34 PM »
There will always be a few who see things differently.  No worries.  I remember trying to explain to someone that it really wasn't a stupid idea for Thomas to build a bunker in the middle of the 6th green at Riviera  ???  If Thomas did that on every hole then it might be stupid, but after we discussed things and he realized that Thomas basically build three greens in one on that hole he came around and it made sense to him.  That is why Ran started a site like this - frank commentary on golf course architecture. 

JC Jones

« Reply #27 on: July 29, 2020, 07:21:30 PM »
its unfortunate the aerials on HistoricAerials.com only go back to 1968.  Its curious to see how much larger and more central the complex has become and how bunkers were added around 2011/2012 that werent there for the 50 years prior.  I dont have Geoff's book but I'd like to see the original iteration of the hole and how its evolved over time.
I get it, you are mad at the world because you are an adult caddie and few people take you seriously.

Excellent spellers usually lack any vision or common sense.

I know plenty of courses that are in the red, and they are killing it.

Mark_Fine

« Reply #28 on: July 29, 2020, 08:08:59 PM »
JC,
The 17th looks much now like it did back in the early days except the bunkers today are a bit more "formal" but they were all originally there around those same trees.   Geoff's book, The Golden Age of Golf Design has a good photo.  The hole was designed to play as I described.  The only difference is I doubt Mackenzie ever expected the bombers could carry over those trees as another option  :o

It truly is one of the most beautiful and most interesting golf holes on the planet (at least in my subjective opinion)  :)
Mark

Ira Fishman

« Reply #29 on: July 29, 2020, 08:14:10 PM »
This thread now strikes me as if some scene in Casablanca or some chapter in Sula or some track on Kind of Blue or some song on Songs In The Key of Life could be better. Golf Courses are narratives that we experience over roughly four hours, not 12-15 minute one off segments. I have played CPC only once—just as I have read Crime and Punishment only once. Both are narratives that are incomparable.

Ira

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back