GolfClubAtlas.com > Golf Course Architecture

Feature Interview with Jonathan Cummings

(1/3) > >>

Ran Morrissett:
https://golfclubatlas.com/feature-interview/feature-interview-with-jonathan-cummings/

This month’s Feature Interview is with long-time friend, Jonathan Cummings, who was one of the earliest participants on GCA.com. His new book, The Rating Game, discusses the history of magazine course ratings. Like me, Jonathan sees ratings as a big positive because they stimulate the conversation on golf course architecture like nothing else. Given his statistician background, he believes that an ideal exists for rating courses, one that reduces the statistical component to allow the subjective part to shine through as unfettered as possible.

Quixotic or not, Jonathan speaks from a position of knowledge as well as from the heart. That’s important – the idea that the human component can be taken away from ratings seems absurd to me. You can list as many categories as you want as ticklers to remind people of architectural components but ultimately, Jonathan states that the transparency of process and who is voting is what matters. I couldn’t agree more.

His book is available on Amazon (click here). It’s the first of its kind and every rater will enjoy the historical backdrop he provides as well as its statistical nature. It’s also an ideal primer for novice raters. Course ratings are here to stay and the more you understand them, the better. Jonathan’s world-wide travels lend credence to his measured words and substantiate his analyses and arguments. He’s the perfect host for this narrative, a wily veteran who has seen it all, passionately believes in the sport and the importance of ratings, and proffers ways to make both better.

Characteristically humble, he says he did it for selfish reasons but he did the subject proud and the sport a service.

Have a great 4th!

Best,

Tommy Williamsen:
Interesting interview. It is easy to pick up that he rates for GW.

Tim Martin:
I enjoyed the interview which led to a purchase of Jon’s book.

Jay Mickle:
An excellent book whether a rater or a golfer wanting a better understanding of the the rating process. Great insight into the entire process from rater observations to the statistical machinations that ultimately determine  the magazine ratings.

Steve Lang:
That picture of Rick, John, and Mike from 2004 at the Lake Louise lunch really takes me back to some great GCA outing memories.  I can hear Jon's voice reading the interview and am not surprised he's created a view of the Ratings Game!

Looking forward to getting my copy.  Good luck Jon!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version