News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Robin_Hiseman

Re: HEYTHROP PARK: Well Nigh
« Reply #25 on: July 26, 2020, 07:13:50 AM »
Sean

I did contact Tom Mackenzie and got the following back from him

"...I think you realise that the design was effectively done on one leg hopping such were the constraints. I am not sure most people realise how miraculous an achievement it was to get permission to build the course and it was a combination of landscape restoration and course design. The trees on the 9th are a case in point. There were (are) plans to build on the site of the building right of the 12th and playing right of the oak would have meant a far greater risk of that area coming under fire with balls. Seemed fair enough to me."

Tom has produced a narrated powerpoint presentation about the process, which EIGCA members have access to. It's an interesting watch.
Pretty much every course has a complex back story, giving rise to why it is how it is. Heythrop is certainly at the more restrictive end of the scale.

2023: Aberdovey, Liphook, Mill Ride (x9), Hillside, Lytham, Delamere Forest, Formby, Birkdale, Carya, Maxx Royal, Cleeve Hill, Sunny (Old & New), West Byfleet, Hoylake, East Berks, RSG, West Sussex, Hollinwell (x2), Alwoodley, JCB (x2), Beau Desert, Painswick (x2), Stranahan, Belfry (Brab & PGA)

Sean_A

Re: HEYTHROP PARK: Well Nigh
« Reply #26 on: July 30, 2020, 03:48:20 AM »
Thanks Doc. I did realize there were severe restrictions because of the park. I guess we disagree about the impact of those restrictions on the quality of the design.

Did T Mac mention why he blocked the 12th fairway with a bunker?

Ciao
New plays planned for 2024: Fraserburgh, Turnberry, Isle of Harris, Benbecula, Askernish, Traigh, St Medan, Hankley Common, Ashridge, Gog Magog Old & Cruden Bay St Olaf

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back