News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Drew Maliniak

Re: Perfect land for golf that remains undeveloped?
« Reply #50 on: July 11, 2020, 05:05:21 PM »

Daryl David

« Reply #51 on: July 11, 2020, 07:40:01 PM »
Surprised no one has mentioned the land directly south of the courses at Saunton. Breathtaking dunes. 

Phil McDade

« Reply #52 on: September 14, 2020, 08:34:44 PM »
Sanday, one of the islands of the Orkneys -- almost more Nordic than Scottish -- looks to have some wonderful linksy land; this area has long intrigued me for seeming to have the kind of movement conducive to a links course, with a Pebble-like peninsula and some sand blowouts:

https://www.google.com/maps/place/Sanday/@59.2125978,-2.6626084,802m/data=!3m1!1e3!4m5!3m4!1s0x489b980efc4f5777:0xd8273ef4854411e8!8m2!3d59.2458295!4d-2.5492163

I've measured it via Google; you could get 18 very good holes here.

Remote, but....not sure it's more remote than the Sand Hills or the Canadian Sand Hills/Newfoundland coast. The model would be something akin to Ardfin -- I think the island itself is home to fewer than 500 people.

Dónal Ó Ceallaigh

« Reply #53 on: September 15, 2020, 02:56:42 AM »
Did anyone mention the coast of Holland?

There are huge areas of links land north of The Hague, which could fit about 20-30 courses. There's also good land north and south of Noordwijk GC and Kennemeer GC with room for another 20-30 courses. If only...  :'(

Frank Pont

« Reply #54 on: September 15, 2020, 03:12:06 AM »

There are huge areas of links land north of The Hague, which could fit about 20-30 courses. There's also good land north and south of Noordwijk GC and Kennemeer GC with room for another 20-30 courses. If only...  :'(

You are very right, if you could do things in the dunes of the Netherlands you could build another 50-60 world class courses.....

Not only are the dunes present over a large part of the coast (The Hague up to Bergen) and on the Wadden islands north of Holland, but in places the dunes are almost 5 km wide. In many cases the dunes are more spectacular than anything you will find in GB.

If only Golf would have been more popular in 1900 in the Netherlands.......

Adam Lawrence

« Reply #55 on: September 15, 2020, 06:11:46 AM »

You are very right, if you could do things in the dunes of the Netherlands you could build another 50-60 world class courses.....

Not only are the dunes present over a large part of the coast (The Hague up to Bergen) and on the Wadden islands north of Holland, but in places the dunes are almost 5 km wide. In many cases the dunes are more spectacular than anything you will find in GB.

If only Golf would have been more popular in 1900 in the Netherlands.......

Frank's post makes me inclined to revise the question a bit... where is there great land for golf where you might have a chance of getting planning consent actually to build it? I know of one truly fantastic site... have to keep it hush for now...  :)
Adam Lawrence

Editor, Golf Course Architecture
www.golfcoursearchitecture.net

Principal, Oxford Golf Consulting
www.oxfordgolfconsulting.com

Author, 'More Enduring Than Brass: a biography of Harry Colt' (forthcoming).

Short words are best, and the old words, when short, are the best of all.

Robin_Hiseman

« Reply #56 on: September 15, 2020, 06:47:09 AM »
There is so much military land (both links and heath) that is every bit as good as the best land already developed for golf. Who knows if it will ever be relinquished. I doubt it.
2024: Royal St. David's (x2); Mill Ride
In planning: Hayling, Jameson Links, Druids Glen, Royal Dublin, Portmarnock, Old Head, Thurlestone

Thomas Dai

« Reply #57 on: September 15, 2020, 01:00:30 PM »
There is so much military land (both links and heath) that is every bit as good as the best land already developed for golf. Who knows if it will ever be relinquished. I doubt it.
+1
The UK military have long been quick to acquire land but somewhat slow in handing it back or even making it available on a 'loan' basis for other uses.
Worth mentioning that quite a few military bases have had golf courses laid out on them, some may still do.
As base upkeep costs increase and the Govt goes looking for funds though ....... Fingers crossed but breath not being held.
atb

Guy Nicholson

« Reply #58 on: September 16, 2020, 06:53:01 PM »
The "Canadian Sand Hills" of Alberta.

https://integrativegolfdesigns.com/journal-content/the-canadian-sand-hills

Short season, but really cool!

Look at the terrain in Newfoundland...Can you say Tara Iti, eh...?..:

https://integrativegolfdesigns.com/journal-content/newfoundland-or-newfound-linksland

Riley wrote a nice piece about courses of the imagination for the first issue of Catalogue 18, using these blog posts as inspiration. He expanded on his ideas and did a sketch of a hole he conceived for the dunes in Newfoundland, it was wonderful stuff.

Jay Mickle

« Reply #59 on: September 16, 2020, 08:43:04 PM »
Surely more land in the Sandhills of NC.
@MickleStix on Instagram
MickleStix.com

Sean_A

« Reply #60 on: September 17, 2020, 02:09:56 AM »
Does anyone know of links land with topography similar to TOC?

Ciao
New plays planned for 2024: Dunfanaghy, Fraserburgh, Hankley Common, Ashridge, Gog Magog Old & Cruden Bay St Olaf

Mark Kiely

« Reply #61 on: September 17, 2020, 06:33:56 PM »
I don't know it would meet the "perfect" criteria in the thread title, but didn't Tom Doak talk about a site in California he was very excited about here on GCA.com in the last year or two? (I searched but came up empty.) Maybe I'm crazy, but I think he hinted at being involved with a project on somewhat secluded land in the foothills somewhere.

A. Anyone else remember that? Tom?
B. If I'm not crazy, is anyone able to reveal what happened to that project?
My golf course photo albums on Flickr: https://goo.gl/dWPF9z

Garland Bayley

« Reply #62 on: September 17, 2020, 08:15:19 PM »
And what happened to the Doak course to be created on leased land on the BSA property in the dunes just south of Cape Lookout in Oregon?
"I enjoy a course where the challenges are contained WITHIN it, and recovery is part of the game  not a course where the challenge is to stay ON it." Jeff Warne

Carl Rogers

« Reply #63 on: September 18, 2020, 11:55:54 PM »
I was considering more exotic locations such the Caspian Sea or the Black Sea.
I decline to accept the end of man. ... William Faulkner

Tom_Doak

« Reply #64 on: September 19, 2020, 12:01:49 AM »
And what happened to the Doak course to be created on leased land on the BSA property in the dunes just south of Cape Lookout in Oregon?

That wasn't mine.  I think Bill Coore looked at it for Mike.  No idea why it failed, other than permits by the ocean are always hard.

Tom_Doak

« Reply #65 on: September 19, 2020, 12:07:54 AM »
I don't know it would meet the "perfect" criteria in the thread title, but didn't Tom Doak talk about a site in California he was very excited about here on GCA.com in the last year or two? (I searched but came up empty.) Maybe I'm crazy, but I think he hinted at being involved with a project on somewhat secluded land in the foothills somewhere.

A. Anyone else remember that? Tom?
B. If I'm not crazy, is anyone able to reveal what happened to that project?

It's called Maha Napa and it is still a thing.  I don't know that you'd call it ideal land for golf - it's too severr and too dramatic for that, and too rocky also.  But we hope to use the first two things to our advantage.

We are still waiting on permits, but we expect to start next spring.  I have been concerned the whole three years about fires, and two weeks ago there were fires within a couple of mikes on two sides of the property, but they worked with Cal Fire to back burn the property and contain the fires and I'm told the golf property is unscathed. (Whew!)

Mark Kiely

« Reply #66 on: September 19, 2020, 12:39:42 AM »
Great to hear! Thanks for the update!
My golf course photo albums on Flickr: https://goo.gl/dWPF9z

James Reader

« Reply #67 on: September 29, 2020, 06:11:44 PM »
Does anyone know of links land with topography similar to TOC?

Ciao

I was wondering at the weekend what lies underneath the trees of Tentsmuir Forest, over the Eden estuary from St Andrews.  Not that I can see it ever being available for golf - even if the trees will presumably be cut down at some point (it’s Forestry Scotland land).   Interesting to imagine what might be there though given the quality of its neighbours on both sides of the Tay.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back