News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Tim_Cronin

Re: 1917 Article on Langford
« Reply #50 on: November 29, 2015, 03:23:28 PM »
FYI to online microfilm diggers: Cox Newspapers has withdrawn the Palm Beach Daily News, Palm Beach Post and Miami News from the Google Newspapers archive. Don't know if they'll appear elsewhere. Some issues of the Palm Beach Post from 1916-1921 are still on Newspapers.com.
The website: www.illinoisgolfer.net
On Twitter: @illinoisgolfer

Bill_McBride

« Reply #51 on: November 29, 2015, 04:08:29 PM »
Bill:

The article noting the Pensacola course is from 1931.  I doubt it is referencing a course built in 1942.

Sven

Good point!

Jud_T

« Reply #52 on: November 29, 2015, 04:56:46 PM »
So If Langford was working well into the 50's does this make him the best architect still active in the Dark Ages (Post WWII to pre- Gulf War I)? And don't say Pete Dye, who while very important historically and a great mentor for the current generation, I'd put below Langford in terms of lasting greatness.
Golf is a game. We play it. Somewhere along the way we took the fun out of it and charged a premium to be punished.- - Ron Sirak

Nigel Islam

« Reply #53 on: November 29, 2015, 05:05:53 PM »
So If Langford was working well into the 50's does this make him the best architect still active in the Dark Ages (Post WWII to pre- Gulf War I)? And don't say Pete Dye, who while very important historically and a great mentor for the current generation, I'd put below Langford in terms of lasting greatness.

Since he did not have Moreau's shaping expertise I'm not sure that one could classify his later efforts as the "best" in this time frame. I am a fan of Billy Langford, but I have played some of his 50s stuff.  It is frankly not all that exciting.

Sven Nilsen

« Reply #54 on: December 13, 2015, 06:13:32 PM »
Another one, this one with an interesting tie in to Kansas golf history.

The Aug. 14, 1921 Wichita Daily Eagle reports Langford designed a private 9 hole course for Emerson Carey in Hutchinson.  Carey would later go on to found Prairie Dunes.

"As much as we have learned about the history of golf architecture in the last ten plus years, I'm convinced we have only scratched the surface."  A GCA Poster

"There's the golf hole; play it any way you please." Donald Ross

Sven Nilsen

« Reply #55 on: December 13, 2015, 07:06:44 PM »
Modern day aerial of Willow Brook.  Strange lay out.

"As much as we have learned about the history of golf architecture in the last ten plus years, I'm convinced we have only scratched the surface."  A GCA Poster

Rees Milikin

« Reply #56 on: December 13, 2015, 09:10:47 PM »
Modern day aerial of Willow Brook.  Strange lay out.

Nice find and barely any info to be found.  Would love to see an old aerial.

Sven Nilsen

« Reply #57 on: December 24, 2015, 04:26:36 PM »
Some more early Langford work, this time remodeling the Rock Island Arsenal course.

Chicago Daily Tribune - May 6, 1919

Sven Nilsen

« Reply #58 on: June 13, 2016, 12:28:46 AM »
A little follow up on the CC of Lincoln.

Here's a Dec. 30, 1917 Lincoln Star article noting the course was designed by Langford and Charles Johnston.

Compare the 1917 plans with the current layout.  The course has been credited to Willie Tucker and G. MacMillan with a date of 1923.  If they did indeed build the course then, it was built to the plans of Langford and Johnston.

Sven Nilsen

« Reply #59 on: May 29, 2020, 10:08:39 AM »
At the end of this paragraph from a Feb. 26, 1922 Miami Herald article is a mention of a 36 hole Langford project in Osceola, Missouri.

Anyone ever heard of this project?

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back