News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Lou_Duran

Re: "Returning to Golf in Scotland"
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2020, 05:56:58 PM »
What are your reading between the lines?

Is the season for international members at Royal Dornoch lost?

David_Tepper

Niall C

« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2020, 12:44:30 PM »
The woman's deluding herself, either that or she is the only person in Scotland who has stayed at home permanently over the last few months and no one has bothered to tell her what's going on outside in the real world.

Around where I live nearly every cafe/bar/restaurant has opened offering a take-away meal or simply a coffee, and has done for the last 5 or 6 weeks. And they are doing brisk business. Every shop that sells anything that's not on the prescribed list has opened so nearby I have a dog-grooming business and a dry-cleaners/laundry business I can use. They have been open for 2-3 weeks. There is even a bike shop that opens a couple of days a week not sure whether it can or should but doing it anyway so that it doesn't go bust. And of course you have the constant double parking of delivery vans as people buy stuff on line.

And all the time outside the park the pavements are busy and the park is full of people out for the day. Making up convoluted rules for people to play golf is just a way of seeming to do something while avoiding doing anything meaningful. Just my opinion of course.

Niall

Lou_Duran

« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2020, 02:12:43 PM »
Niall,

Since David is not biting, care to take a stab at my question?

I guess that my lucky entry to the Carnegie Shield in early August may not be so fortuitous after all.  My anxiety to get out of the area as I used to do with some frequency is growing.

One of my neighbors just returned from an extended visit to Yellowstone and other parts of MT which she described as fabulous and trouble free.  Haven't been to Banff so it is my preference if the Scots don't want me, but there is the tricky border crossing also involved.

Travel planning is welcomed relief from all the dark clouds around us, if only momentary.

David_Tepper

« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2020, 02:40:31 PM »
Lou D. -

I have no way of knowing what may or may not change regarding international travel and playing golf in Scotland in the coming months. Whatever happens will impact Country & International members of all the golf clubs in Scotland.

DT

Jon Wiggett

« Reply #6 on: May 28, 2020, 04:07:47 PM »

Lou,

though nothing seems to be predictable these days I doubt that there will be a large international contingent this year but hopefully your entry will be transferable to next years event. I also don't think you should take things so personally. It is not that we in the Highlands don't want you personally to visit but with things as they are it is just safer for all to restrict movements of people.

Niall,

bike shops have been open since day one of the lockdown as the were deemed to be 'essential'. Where have you been for the last two months that you do not know that?  ;D

Jon

Niall C

« Reply #7 on: May 28, 2020, 04:35:10 PM »
Jon

Sampling cappucino's and pain au chocolat in every available outlet within a 15 minute walk. It's taking me several weeks to go through them all. Hasn't been easy as you have to walk on the road as the pavements are full of cyclists and feking 20 somethings who think it OK to walk up the middle of the pavement without a consideration for others...............sorry, don't mean to rant but I've spent a whole day putting up with the noise from the builders who are in renovating the flat next door as well as the shop-fitters revamping a pub/diner just along the street (the one that's not selling cappucino and pain au chocolat).

Niall

Niall C

« Reply #8 on: May 28, 2020, 04:44:36 PM »
Lou

As Jon suggests the future is fairly uncertain but the blessed Nicola certainly seems to want to be the last to the party. That might make forward planning harder particularly with the prospect of two weeks in lockdown before you get to actually do anything.

The other thing you have to factor in is the locals. To date remote parts of the country such as the Highlands have been less than chuffed seeing incomers fleeing to their neck of the woods to escape the virus. However by August, with the prospect of having an absolutely disastrous year, I suspect there will be a change of attitude. The club should be well placed to plug into whatever vibe there is from locals. My guess is the Carnegie Shield will still go ahead but maybe with more UK players. I think a lot more people will be staying in the country for their holidays, certainly a lot more than there usually is.

Of course, if there is a second wave then all bets are off.

Niall 

Lou_Duran

« Reply #9 on: May 28, 2020, 05:05:52 PM »
Thanks guys.  I don't take any of this personally.  I am not about to land more than 14 days earlier to sit around in isolation.  I can't do that here.  The member I was going to meet is near sure that he will be skipping it citing concerns of a potential second wave.  The club is going to make a decision in early June, but I am being a bit impatient.  It would be nice if they would extend the entry to 2021.

BTW, one of my golf pals is English and an investor in his sister's two coffee shops near the coast to the west of London.  She was shut down for a while, but has been allowed to open with a reduced curbside menu.  The newest location is close to a park and is doing great guns serving coffee, tea, ice cream and some muffins.  She reports half-hour cues with customers happy and orderly awaiting their turn, and is now rethinking the menu to offering fewer items when fully re-opened.  Perhaps things will trend simpler in the future.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back