News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Ira Fishman

148th Custodian
« on: July 22, 2019, 10:35:28 AM »
There is only one course from Northern Ireland on the original list. Does the Open alter and/or confirm Ran's choice for number 148?

Ira

Greg Smith

Re: 148th Custodian
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2019, 10:41:43 AM »
Are we sure Portrush would be a custodian?  There sure were a lot of alterations for this Open, including the wipeout of two original (albeit weak) holes on the Dunluce and the wipeout of two good holes on the Valley.  On the other hand, there's probably great things about the CLUB to consider.

And I guess plenty of the 147 Custodians have altered plenty of things... so maybe.  But Portrush wouldn't necessarily be "automatic", IMO.
O fools!  who drudge from morn til night
And dream your way of life is wise,
Come hither!  prove a happier plight,
The golfer lives in Paradise!                      

John Somerville, The Ballade of the Links at Rye (1898)

Ira Fishman

« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2019, 10:44:35 AM »
Greg,

I am not necessarily guessing Portrush.

Ira

Tony_Muldoon

« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2019, 11:14:08 AM »
I wonder if Ira  :)  is also thinking the 148th, would be a nice coincidence.
Let's make GCA grate again!

Ira Fishman

« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2019, 11:19:45 AM »
Tony,

I do wish I had thought of that!

Ira

Ally Mcintosh

« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2019, 11:25:35 AM »
Ganton.

Although I’m not sure the coincidence you refer to?

Also, Ran previously ruled out Portrush for being narrow. Could maybe level the same at Ganton in places although I don’t believe either claim really stands up.

Ganton just screams golf in a beautifully understated way.

Ally

Kalen Braley

« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2019, 11:33:22 AM »
I know Ran means well, but its hard to take this list seriously when a course like Pasatiempo is not on it....

Peter Pallotta

« Reply #7 on: July 22, 2019, 12:11:36 PM »
Ganton just screams golf in a beautifully understated way.
Any course about which this can be said is a golf course after my own heart. Alas, because of where I'm situated, and to borrow from an Irish wordsmith: 'I still haven't found what I'm looking for' -- and I'm as sad as a song by The Pogues!

BHoover

« Reply #8 on: July 22, 2019, 12:35:41 PM »
When is the 148th reveal date?

Rob Rigg

« Reply #9 on: July 22, 2019, 09:12:16 PM »
I know Ran means well, but its hard to take this list seriously when a course like Pasatiempo is not on it....
Agreed. My first thought when I saw the list.

Absolutely phenomenal AMac that the public can actually play. WAY less expensive than Pebble which is on the list.

Deciding on "Custodians of the Game" is a tough task to take on.

SPDB

« Reply #10 on: July 25, 2019, 12:55:29 PM »
When is the 148th reveal date?

The Open that just concluded at Portrush was the 148th edition.

Pete_Pittock

« Reply #11 on: April 24, 2020, 01:09:46 AM »
One of the bright sides of isolation is that Ran has another year to come to a decision. ;)

Sean_A

« Reply #12 on: April 24, 2020, 04:14:17 AM »
Is Ran that much a fan of Ganton?  I have never heard him run on about the course.

Ciao
New plays planned for 2024: Dunfanaghy, Fraserburgh, Hankley Common, Ashridge, Gog Magog Old & Cruden Bay St Olaf

Ally Mcintosh

« Reply #13 on: April 24, 2020, 07:21:19 AM »
Is Ran that much a fan of Ganton?  I have never heard him run on about the course.

Ciao

Is this a reference to me lobbying for Ganton earlier in the thread?

I’ve no idea about Ran’s views on it but I  do believe it is the right answer to No.148.

If you were to ignore location issues, it would be one of the three English courses I’d most like to join.

Sean_A

« Reply #14 on: April 24, 2020, 07:38:58 AM »

Ciao

Is this a reference to me lobbying for Ganton earlier in the thread?

I’ve no idea about Ran’s views on it but I  do believe it is the right answer to No.148.

If you were to ignore location issues, it would be one of the three English courses I’d most like to join.

Well sure. Since it is Ran's 147 I was thinking about Ran's preferences. For such a high profile course, I don't recall Ran making mention of admiring Ganton. This leads me to think Ran has other courses in mind...could be wrong though.

Ciao
New plays planned for 2024: Dunfanaghy, Fraserburgh, Hankley Common, Ashridge, Gog Magog Old & Cruden Bay St Olaf

Mark Pearce

« Reply #15 on: April 24, 2020, 07:46:00 AM »
I'd love to know the other two on such an exclusive list!
In June I will be riding the first three stages of this year's Tour de France route for charity.  630km (394 miles) in three days, with 7800m (25,600 feet) of climbing for the William Wates Memorial Trust (https://rideleloop.org/the-charity/) which supports underprivileged young people.

Ally Mcintosh

« Reply #16 on: April 24, 2020, 09:59:02 AM »
I'd love to know the other two on such an exclusive list!

Well my typing finger decided to say that without the knowledge of what my thoughts were.

The basis is that such a traditional club, it appeared to have a suitably down to earth membership who were all about the golf. This married with a course that is one of my favourites, a peaceful course plus an easyish walk, makes me choose it.

The others would be a shortish heathland (either Woking or Pulborough) and a steeped-in-history links (perhaps Sandwich).

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back