News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

jeffwarne

Re: NY Post best 18 golf holes in NY Metro area
« Reply #25 on: April 01, 2020, 12:10:13 PM »
The National- 1
Garden City- 2
North Shore- 3
Fishers Island- 4
Bethpage Black- 5
The Creek- 6
Rockaway Hunt Club- 7
Maidstone- 8
Fishers Island- 9
Shinnecock- 10
Shinnecock- 11
Wykagyl- 12
St George's- 13
Engineers- 14
Somerset Hills- 15
Sleepy Hollow- 16
The National- 17
The National- 18

signed,
Hamilton Hearst lll
"Let's slow the damned greens down a bit, not take the character out of them." Tom Doak
"Take their focus off the grass and put it squarely on interesting golf." Don Mahaffey

M. Shea Sweeney

« Reply #26 on: April 01, 2020, 12:12:00 PM »
don't be mad I passed over 9 at the goat, we can do a muni list next month

jeffwarne

« Reply #27 on: April 01, 2020, 12:18:15 PM »

9 at The Goat belongs and has 3-4 par 4's better than #1 at NGLA-despite it's all world green
« Last Edit: April 01, 2020, 08:20:08 PM by jeffwarne »
"Let's slow the damned greens down a bit, not take the character out of them." Tom Doak
"Take their focus off the grass and put it squarely on interesting golf." Don Mahaffey

Chuck Glowacki

« Reply #28 on: April 01, 2020, 06:15:27 PM »

9 at The Goat belongs and has 3-4 par 4's better than #1 at NGLA-depite it's all world green

Cal Seifert

« Reply #29 on: April 01, 2020, 06:26:15 PM »

9 at The Goat belongs and has 3-4 par 4's better than #1 at NGLA-depite it's all world green

Which par 4 at the goat is your favorite? I personally like 8 the most.

jeffwarne

« Reply #30 on: April 01, 2020, 08:32:18 PM »

8 is so cool. That's a good choice
Completely blind, Have to launch it high to clear the hill.
If you can carry it 250 plus you have a chance to drive it in firm conditons but that devilish hogback will get unless you absolutely stripe it. Amazing how 2 drives 15 landing 15 yards apart can up 60 yards apart. Then the pitch has to be judged just right to get the perfect bounce and predictable roll
But 2 is a great difficult hole with the tightest drive on the course and the green sloped away from you.
7 is about as difficult a second shot as you'll ever see, blind running away terrain and greenwith OB long and right. par wins a lot of skins.
It's a miracle nobody's ever been killed on those two holes.
4 is really cool as an up and over 226 yard par 4 with a 7 degree sloped green running away from you.
Slowest putt you'll ever have in golf coming back-have never seen a newbie get it to the hole coming back.
3 would appear to be plain and is my favorite grip it and rip it drive in golf,but if you drive it anywhere but left your pitch is brutal with the right to left tilted green. Left woods is better than right center.
1 is pretty cool too-sets the tone with the fall away green-driveable in the rare event it's downwind(if firm)

M. Shea Sweeney

« Reply #31 on: April 02, 2020, 10:43:37 AM »

Tough for me to leave either 2 at NGLA or 8 at the GOAT as I love uphill tee shots with a plunge from the top - but we got 9 at Fishers in there.

8 at Goat Hill is great to me, like Sahara at the National, in that you can drive the green- but there is often concern for hitting it over. (15 Palmetto got a little of that)

Hit it over 8 and you're done, and its never a good result when you're over Sahara. So you're often in between clubs- which is a great test when attempting to home your tee ball on a par 4. The line is a hard mid trajectory shot- probably about 90 feet in the air- 250 carry- just right of the old aiming flag. If you miss too much right the ball as the potential to bounce right and forward, which leaves an awful lie. Miss left you wont drive the green, but often have a decent pitch, but likely BLIND.

The great 8 at the Goat is full of outcomes- its an exacting hole to drive the green or make a birdie- the fairway is enormous and offers plenty of room to get the ball in play- but it white knuckles most who know the route because it really is a precise lane, both vertically and horizontally, to drive the green- or get into position to pitch close.

And not to mention it has one of the steepest launch requirements from the tee box- seen a lot of hysterical shots hit right into the hill.

Tells us a lot about the game that an unknown hole like 8 at Goat Hill [and probably 200 hundred in the Scotland, Ireland, and England] offers the player such variety, fun, frustration, elation, and not to mention competitive greatness.

jeffwarne

« Reply #32 on: April 02, 2020, 11:07:35 AM »

The great 8 at the Goat is full of outcomes- its an exacting hole to drive the green or make a birdie- the fairway is enormous and offers plenty of room to get the ball in play- but it white knuckles most who know the route because it really is a precise lane, both vertically and horizontally, to drive the green- or get into position to pitch close.

THIS... is what  makes it so great-unlike many modern short 4's that have been overthought so much by the "risk reward" police that a 7 iron off the tee is often the best choice over time zzzzz, and the green is usually small and overly internally contoured due to the sins of proportionality....zzzz

Cal Seifert

« Reply #33 on: April 02, 2020, 12:00:31 PM »
Hitting the windmill at national on 2 is even equivalent to hitting the lone tree on the left of 8 at the goat!

Mike Hendren

« Reply #34 on: April 02, 2020, 12:13:47 PM »
The 15th at Fenway is perhaps my favorite inland hole in America.

Bogey (well, a par actually)
Two Corinthians walk into a bar ....

M. Shea Sweeney

« Reply #35 on: April 02, 2020, 12:28:22 PM »
The 15th at Fenway is perhaps my favorite inland hole in America.

Bogey (well, a par actually)

What a great hole- I first saw it during the MET Championship back a few years ago- an exact hole I thought about during search for a 15th hole-I think I bogeyed that hole twice in 3 days trying to hit it up there. excited when playing Ohoopee to see Gil build a hole very similar and assumed he was inspired by his work there.

You just really just have to hit it in the throat at Fenway if I remember
« Last Edit: April 02, 2020, 01:08:52 PM by M. Shea Sweeney »

Tim Martin

« Reply #36 on: April 03, 2020, 04:25:07 PM »
Any takers for # 2 at Hay Harbor?

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back