News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Mark Chaplin

Re: Golf in UK Post COVID-19
« Reply #50 on: April 04, 2020, 04:47:27 PM »
The UK also has high dependency units which are a level down from ITU but have ventilators etc. In Southampton hospital the 9 bed respiratory HDU has a consultant, 3 doctors and 30 nurses so pretty high level of care. The equivalent maybe counted as ITU in other countries.

The bed numbers are per 100,000 head of population.
Cave Nil Vino

Scott Warren

« Reply #51 on: June 27, 2020, 04:28:27 PM »
Jwinick — from memory you’re either just about to head off or have recently arrived in the UK for your trip. Have an amazing time!

Adam Lawrence

« Reply #52 on: June 27, 2020, 04:53:24 PM »
If he does he'll be required to quarantine for two weeks on arrival. Which doesn't sound like a successful recipe for a golf trip to me...

Adam Lawrence

Editor, Golf Course Architecture
www.golfcoursearchitecture.net

Principal, Oxford Golf Consulting
www.oxfordgolfconsulting.com

Author, 'More Enduring Than Brass: a biography of Harry Colt' (forthcoming).

Short words are best, and the old words, when short, are the best of all.

Mark Pearce

« Reply #53 on: June 27, 2020, 04:58:14 PM »
Jwinick — from memory you’re either just about to head off or have recently arrived in the UK for your trip. Have an amazing time!
He has 4 days to be right.  Don't give up on him yet.  He's never wrong.....
In June I will be riding the first three stages of this year's Tour de France route for charity.  630km (394 miles) in three days, with 7800m (25,600 feet) of climbing for the William Wates Memorial Trust (https://rideleloop.org/the-charity/) which supports underprivileged young people.

JWinick

« Reply #54 on: June 28, 2020, 02:36:17 AM »

You can go to Europe and avoid the quarantine if you stop in Iceland first.  But, we postponed to next year and added Portrush so all good!   In Bandon now. 

If he does he'll be required to quarantine for two weeks on arrival. Which doesn't sound like a successful recipe for a golf trip to me...

Jon Wiggett

« Reply #55 on: June 28, 2020, 02:51:14 AM »

You can go to Europe and avoid the quarantine if you stop in Iceland first.

Would have liked to have seen you try that.  :)

Ally Mcintosh

« Reply #56 on: June 28, 2020, 04:16:31 AM »
Ireland is still requiring 14 day quarantine from all countries. The plan is to create air bridges to certain countries and lift this in next couple of weeks. The UK & US are not included in the lifting.

Personally I think the air bridge idea is a bit nuts. Health advice remains that there should be no non-essential international travel and that the Irish should spend, spend, spend within their own country.

Duncan Cheslett

« Reply #57 on: June 28, 2020, 05:23:21 AM »
Personally I think the air bridge idea is a bit nuts. Health advice remains that there should be no non-essential international travel and that the Irish should spend, spend, spend within their own country.

I agree entirely.

The UK, like Ireland, sends far more tourist money overseas than it receives from abroad. Stopping all international travel for a year would do the balance of payments and the UK economy as a whole the world of good!

Kalen Braley

« Reply #58 on: June 28, 2020, 02:50:59 PM »
Based on the upward trending new cases in the US, I wouldn't be surprised if the European Union bans all visitors from the US indefinitely.  Canada closed its border months ago, and won't be opening it any time soon....

Thomas Dai

« Reply #59 on: June 28, 2020, 03:17:33 PM »
Seems like some (all?) Clubhouses in England are re-opening from 4th July presumably with some form of social distancing and Covid related measures in place.
What’s the situation in Scot-Wales-NI-RoI?
Atb

Jon Wiggett

« Reply #60 on: June 28, 2020, 05:33:19 PM »
Based on the upward trending new cases in the US, I wouldn't be surprised if the European Union bans all visitors from the US indefinitely.  Canada closed its border months ago, and won't be opening it any time soon....

Certainly the current ban is going to be extended. I wonder how bad it has to get in the US before serious action is taken?

Lou_Duran

« Reply #61 on: June 28, 2020, 05:55:44 PM »
I am curious Jon, what would you have the US do?  Quarantine the entire country until a proven vaccine is created and administered to 330 million people?  Look at the death by state numbers in the link below and tell me what jumps out at you.

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/country/us/

Ulrich Mayring

« Reply #62 on: June 28, 2020, 06:37:23 PM »
If we took the "leading" European Corona countries until we get to 330 million people, we'd add up UK, Spain, Italy, Germany, France and Sweden. When looking at those combined numbers vs. the US numbers it seems to me that they are in the same league. From the numbers alone the US is at this point not doing worse than others.

The worrying part is that in the "European bloc" as defined above the virus is on its way out (except Sweden, but they're a small country) and the numbers are declining considerably, whereas the US numbers are still on the rise. So the real comparison will come when it's all over (whenever that may be, perhaps never).

My preliminary guess is that the US did well at first, but then opened up the economy too soon, so now there is a second wave, which started in mid-June and already overtook the first wave.
Golf Course Exposé (300+ courses reviewed), Golf CV (how I keep track of 'em)

JWinick

« Reply #63 on: June 28, 2020, 11:05:41 PM »

I don’t pretend to know the answer.  I am on a low risk-profile as I had it in late January and it was relatively mild.   But, there will not be any national shutdown again.   The US is less willing to give up its livelihoods for saving more lives.   

I am curious Jon, what would you have the US do?  Quarantine the entire country until a proven vaccine is created and administered to 330 million people?  Look at the death by state numbers in the link below and tell me what jumps out at you.

John Emerson

« Reply #64 on: June 28, 2020, 11:22:29 PM »
If we took the "leading" European Corona countries until we get to 330 million people, we'd add up UK, Spain, Italy, Germany, France and Sweden. When looking at those combined numbers vs. the US numbers it seems to me that they are in the same league. From the numbers alone the US is at this point not doing worse than others.

The worrying part is that in the "European bloc" as defined above the virus is on its way out (except Sweden, but they're a small country) and the numbers are declining considerably, whereas the US numbers are still on the rise. So the real comparison will come when it's all over (whenever that may be, perhaps never).

My preliminary guess is that the US did well at first, but then opened up the economy too soon, so now there is a second wave, which started in mid-June and already overtook the first wave.

Second wave!?  We never left the first wave! The total numbers have never declined in any way.
“There’s links golf, then everything else.”

Sean_A

« Reply #65 on: June 29, 2020, 03:13:08 AM »

Second wave!?  We never left the first wave! The total numbers have never declined in any way.

I agree. What we are seeing now is the continual spread of the 1st wave. Authorities still don't have a proper grip on this situation and as such should be conservative in their actions.

Ciao
New plays planned for 2024: Fraserburgh, Hankley Common, Ashridge, Gog Magog Old & Cruden Bay St Olaf

Jon Wiggett

« Reply #66 on: June 29, 2020, 03:56:52 AM »

Lou,

I agree it is a difficult decision but certainly those states with high infection rates might be best advised to go into full lockdown to get on top of it. As JWinick says the US seems less willing to put lives ahead of livelihoods so I am guessing the calculation is that 3 to 4 million deaths is an acceptable price. However this is just the guess on mortality in a first pass of the disease. Having the disease is no guarantee of immunity and many who have it bad are permanently damaged by it. There is no guarantee of a vaccine either nor that anyone can expect long term immunity.

I do not have an answer as to what is best but I am not sure that spending years living a game of 'Russian roulette' with each passing wave is a very attractive prospect. Maybe the virus will disappear but it might not. If it is here to stay is the current global economy sustainable?

« Last Edit: June 29, 2020, 06:23:16 AM by Jon Wiggett »

Adam Lawrence

« Reply #67 on: June 29, 2020, 04:21:59 AM »

I do not have an answer as to what is best but I am not sure that spending years living a game of 'Russian roulette' with each passing wave is a very attractive prospect. Maybe the virus will disappear but it might not. If it is here to stay is the current global economy sustainable?

It has always been the case that the only permanent solution to this pandemic is a medical one. All you can do by isolating is to contain the virus, you cannot beat it.
Adam Lawrence

Editor, Golf Course Architecture
www.golfcoursearchitecture.net

Principal, Oxford Golf Consulting
www.oxfordgolfconsulting.com

Author, 'More Enduring Than Brass: a biography of Harry Colt' (forthcoming).

Short words are best, and the old words, when short, are the best of all.

Tim Martin

« Reply #68 on: June 29, 2020, 08:43:18 AM »

The UK, like Ireland, sends far more tourist money overseas than it receives from abroad. Stopping all international travel for a year would do the balance of payments and the UK economy as a whole the world of good!

I would be interested to see the the disparity of what comes in versus what goes out. I’m at a loss at how stopping all international travel benefits the UK/Ireland from an economic perspective.

« Last Edit: June 29, 2020, 08:45:49 AM by Tim Martin »

Ally Mcintosh

« Reply #69 on: June 29, 2020, 08:53:54 AM »

I would be interested to see the the disparity of what comes in versus what goes out. I’m at a loss at how stopping all international travel benefits the UK/Ireland from an economic perspective.

I’m very dubious of Duncan’s claim (for Ireland anyway). I suspect we take far more tourist money in from international travellers, certainly compared to the equivalent that will be spent by the Irish on staycations.

David_Tepper

Thomas Dai

« Reply #71 on: June 29, 2020, 12:25:13 PM »
Said in a tongue-in-cheek Basil Faulty like voice “Don’t mention subsidies, the Barnett Formula or the West Lothian question. I did once but I think I got away with it.”
:):):)

Atb

Jon Wiggett

« Reply #72 on: June 29, 2020, 01:05:11 PM »
Scotland may have its own quarantine:

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2020-06-29/scotland-may-seek-to-quarantine-visitors-from-rest-of-u-k

Scotland cannot do this without the UK governments approval due to the 'Free Travel Area' but it could stay in lockdown and restrict the distance you can travel within Scotland.

Niall C

« Reply #73 on: June 29, 2020, 02:18:14 PM »
David

That's just wee Jimmy Krankie playing politics. Anything Boris does she has to do differently to keep the bigots in her party happy. If she even spent half and hour in her own constituency she would know the public had given up on her lockdown policies long ago.

It's all just posturing.

Niall

Jon Wiggett

« Reply #74 on: June 29, 2020, 02:50:05 PM »
Scotland won't have its own quarantine.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-53219279

;D

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back