News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Kalen Braley

Re: Golf in UK Post COVID-19
« Reply #25 on: April 02, 2020, 10:53:06 AM »
JW,

John is trying to turn over a new leaf and put his trolling days behind him, but with you surging ahead as the GCA troll, it may stoke his competitive fires to jump back in the game.

May be best to let the dust settle a bit on the Covid stuff before planning anything new...

P.S.  I completely agree with Barney on the Arizona thing.  Did you think strutting into a club and asking for a discounted rate because the shit is going to start hitting the fan would be a good strategy?

JWinick

« Reply #26 on: April 02, 2020, 11:34:09 AM »
Never hurts to ask.  It doesn’t like it will make sense anyway as I’ve gotten some deals already but not anything that would make sense for a 60 days or so.  My mistake for asking the group’s opinion.   

Ben Voelker

« Reply #27 on: April 02, 2020, 01:45:50 PM »
Never hurts to ask.  It doesn’t like it will make sense anyway as I’ve gotten some deals already but not anything that would make sense for a 60 days or so.  My mistake for asking the group’s opinion.

In the interest of being helpful, the other thing to keep in mind is that folks in the UK are only allowed to leave their houses for a very limited number of reasons, one of which is essential work.

While essential work has not been that clearly defined, at Beau Desert it has meant that the grounds crew is severely limited just to keep things from getting out of hand.  I don't know what other clubs are doing but I suspect even once golf starts again (whenever that is) that conditions will be rough for awhile as the clubs get back to regular maintenance regimes.

Ulrich Mayring

« Reply #28 on: April 02, 2020, 01:56:49 PM »
For a pretty long time it's going to be the case that after entering a country, they'll put you in a 14 day quarantine. China does it now, all others will follow.

Some people just defy belief in their denial.

Ulrich
Golf Course Exposé (300+ courses reviewed), Golf CV (how I keep track of 'em)

JWinick

« Reply #29 on: April 02, 2020, 02:13:58 PM »

Just because I don't believe the worst possible case scenario, doesn't mean i'm in denial. 

For a pretty long time it's going to be the case that after entering a country, they'll put you in a 14 day quarantine. China does it now, all others will follow.

Some people just defy belief in their denial.

Ulrich

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #30 on: April 02, 2020, 02:19:29 PM »
The thought of a bunch of American golfers sitting in a plane on the tarmac at Glasgow for days wearing their golf caps and favorite logo’s must be amusing to someone somewhere.

Thomas Dai

« Reply #31 on: April 02, 2020, 02:23:44 PM »
The video link posted by Ian Mack' in reply 17 above sums things up nicely if somewhat rudely.
Do us all a favour folks and comply with it's message.
I don't want to catch this bloody virus off you or anyone else and I don't want you or anyone else to catch it off me either should I be unfortunate enough to be infected.
atb
« Last Edit: April 02, 2020, 02:26:23 PM by Thomas Dai »

PCCraig

« Reply #32 on: April 02, 2020, 03:07:25 PM »
I don't think this is the year of the Golf Trip. Either internationally or domestically, unfortunately. Hopefully we can all make up for it next year.
H.P.S.

Mark Pearce

« Reply #33 on: April 02, 2020, 04:07:54 PM »
I don't think this is the year of the Golf Trip. Either internationally or domestically, unfortunately. Hopefully we can all make up for it next year.
This.  Shall we leave it there?
In June I will be riding the first three stages of this year's Tour de France route for charity.  630km (394 miles) in three days, with 7800m (25,600 feet) of climbing for the William Wates Memorial Trust (https://rideleloop.org/the-charity/) which supports underprivileged young people.

Mark Chaplin

« Reply #34 on: April 02, 2020, 04:10:01 PM »
Anyone with trips booked don’t cancel anything that will involve fees. If the club/hotel, etc cancels because of the virus you will be entitled to refunds. Just hold on for now.

I’ve cancelled Pine Valley plans for October and will delay until 2021, sensible move even if things have relaxed.
Cave Nil Vino

Michael Whitaker

« Reply #35 on: April 02, 2020, 04:46:00 PM »
Anyone with trips booked don’t cancel anything that will involve fees. If the club/hotel, etc cancels because of the virus you will be entitled to refunds. Just hold on for now.

I’ve cancelled Pine Valley plans for October and will delay until 2021, sensible move even if things have relaxed.
Yes, I've also cancelled my Pine Valley plans for this year. Also, decided to cancel Seminole and San Francisco GC... just can't risk the travel dangers. Pity.

I guess the memories of my multiple past visits will have to suffice.
"Solving the paradox of proportionality is the heart of golf architecture."  - Tom Doak (11/20/05)

Ken Moum

« Reply #36 on: April 02, 2020, 07:09:58 PM »

Yes, I've also cancelled my Pine Valley plans for this year. Also, decided to cancel Seminole and San Francisco GC... just can't risk the travel dangers. Pity.

And I was SO looking forward to playing Pine Valley and Cypress Point on Memorial Day weekend.
Over time, the guy in the ideal position derives an advantage, and delivering him further  advantage is not worth making the rest of the players suffer at the expense of fun, variety, and ultimately cost -- Jeff Warne, 12-08-2010

Michael Whitaker

« Reply #37 on: April 02, 2020, 08:13:27 PM »

And I was SO looking forward to playing Pine Valley and Cypress Point on Memorial Day weekend.
Well, at least you can reminisce about your visits to Augusta National and Chicago GC to fill the down time. I feel so sorry for my friends who don't have those special memories to call on in these trying times... don't you?  :'(
"Solving the paradox of proportionality is the heart of golf architecture."  - Tom Doak (11/20/05)

JWinick

« Reply #38 on: April 02, 2020, 10:01:52 PM »
I don’t see why some feel the need to pre-emptively cancel anything.   No one knows anything.   Everyone keeps making predictions and time will tell who is right or wrong.  Was the right approach Israel’s or Germany’s?  Was it a good idea to authorize 500 billion in corporate bailouts without one company filing bankruptcy or even missing a loan payment. 

Everything is fluid and changing day to day.   It’s ok to embrace uncertainty instead of assuming doom and gloom. 

Peter Pallotta

« Reply #39 on: April 02, 2020, 10:24:32 PM »
JW -
The issue isn't whether or not individuals are able to embrace uncertainty or willing to be optimistic. The issue is that no government official (in any national or subnational state in the western world) will unilaterally/be the first to lift  international travel restrictions until all western states lift those restrictions together, collectively -- for ethical and practical/political reasons both. And that collective decision won't be taken until the spread of the virus has been significantly quelled in *every* national and subnational state in the western world.
Which is to say: I think the advice/feedback you got from those who know the situation in the UK better than me is very sound; that is, you are free to stay as hopeful as you like, but it won't change anything 'on the ground'.
Peter

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #40 on: April 02, 2020, 10:27:49 PM »
Those of us who survive will never know if it was because we took one less trip or played one fewer rounds. Just as those of us who will lose loved ones will never know if it was because we did.

MKrohn

« Reply #41 on: April 02, 2020, 10:33:36 PM »

I cancelled our hotels and golf for a number of reasons:

- I was offered a free cancellation at a number of places, given we have no pollyannas in our group, we took it.
- 3 of our group work in the airline industry and are unemployed, they aint going
- hotel chains domiliciled in in foreign countries or tax havens won't get govt funding and are more likely to go under, might as well be first paid rather than not at all
- if there is a miracle and given you are June, its "write your own ticket" odds, I can re book

Mark Pearce

« Reply #42 on: April 03, 2020, 02:26:25 AM »
Those of us who survive will never know if it was because we took one less trip or played one fewer rounds. Just as those of us who will lose loved ones will never know if it was because we did.
Another spot on post.
In June I will be riding the first three stages of this year's Tour de France route for charity.  630km (394 miles) in three days, with 7800m (25,600 feet) of climbing for the William Wates Memorial Trust (https://rideleloop.org/the-charity/) which supports underprivileged young people.

Mark Pearce

« Reply #43 on: April 03, 2020, 02:29:04 AM »
Everyone keeps making predictions and time will tell who is right or wrong. 
Ignoring those predictions, based on evidence from other countries and scientific expertise, is already costing lives.  It's costing lives here and it's costing lives there (sadly, likely far more, where your government chose to ignore them for longer).  The fact that you still appear to be in denial is both staggering and depressing.

Adrian_Stiff

« Reply #44 on: April 03, 2020, 03:42:12 AM »
I don’t see why some feel the need to pre-emptively cancel anything.   No one knows anything.   Everyone keeps making predictions and time will tell who is right or wrong.  Was the right approach Israel’s or Germany’s?  Was it a good idea to authorize 500 billion in corporate bailouts without one company filing bankruptcy or even missing a loan payment. 

Everything is fluid and changing day to day.   It’s ok to embrace uncertainty instead of assuming doom and gloom.
You sound a very dangerous person if you ever had money or power.  As you say "No one knows Anything".
A combination of whats good for golf and good for turf.
The Players Club, Cumberwell Park, The Kendleshire, Oake Manor, Dainton Park, Forest Hills, Erlestoke, St Cleres.
www.theplayersgolfclub.com

David_Tepper

Jon Wiggett

« Reply #46 on: April 04, 2020, 03:36:01 AM »
In truth things won't be back to normal at all this year in Scotland. If the current strategy is followed through we will see a relaxing of the restrictions but this will only be some not all and it will only be for a short period until the outbreak flairs up again. It is a great shame that the politicians (in this case the SNP) cannot just give straight, honest information to people. Even the example of testing is blatantly wrong to anyone but the mathematically inept.

Ulrich Mayring

« Reply #47 on: April 04, 2020, 04:22:17 AM »
172 deaths off 3000 positive tests is a staggering death rate for Scotland. It seems there is little testing, but I'm especially worried about another statistic, which is the number of intensive care beds. For the entire UK it is 2.1 per 1000 inhabitants, which is even less than the US with 2.4.

Interestingly, Japan and South Korea lead this category with 7.8 and 7.1, next is Germany with 6. All countries, which have coped decently so far. I am stressing "so far", as we indeed still do not know enough. In another survey the NHS fared better than Germany's health service, because they were using other categories. And when you rank by "money spent on health per inhabitant" the US comes out on top.
Golf Course Exposé (300+ courses reviewed), Golf CV (how I keep track of 'em)

Ally Mcintosh

« Reply #48 on: April 04, 2020, 05:47:04 AM »
Ulrich,

Those figures for ICU beds seem too high for the UK. Before this started, Ireland had a worryingly low number of 1 per 20,000 head of population. Private and Public have combined now to give a unified response so hopefully that number has increased.

Ally

Bernie Bell

« Reply #49 on: April 04, 2020, 09:00:34 AM »
Ulrich I don’t think that figure for ICU beds in US is even close to correct.  There is a lot of available data, below is just a quick grab.  And that doesn’t factor in that the US military just stood up a 1,000 bed [correction 2,500-bed] hospital in NYC in like 3 days, and is working on same in Seattle, New Orleans, etc. 

https://www.forbes.com/sites/niallmccarthy/2020/03/12/the-countries-with-the-most-critical-care-beds-per-capita-infographic/#3aa0fe607f86
« Last Edit: April 04, 2020, 01:52:47 PM by Bernie Bell »

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back