News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

JWinick

Golf in UK Post COVID-19
« on: April 02, 2020, 06:41:06 AM »
We are planning a trip in late June / early July to Northern Ireland and Scotland.   I just got off the phone with one of the biggest clubs in Northern Ireland and he said all golf in the UK is shut down at least until May 1 or so.   He said they can only leave the house once a day.   

He did say that no one has canceled yet after June 1, but anyone out there have any ideas when golf would resume?   If anything is open besides the usual, one would think golf would be one of the first things to come back.   

Simon Holt

Re: Golf in UK Post COVID-19
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2020, 06:57:31 AM »
I wouldn't look at anything before August.
2011 highlights- Royal Aberdeen, Loch Lomond, Moray Old, NGLA (always a pleasure), Muirfield Village, Saucon Valley, watching the new holes coming along at The Renaissance Club.

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2020, 07:13:21 AM »
If you take an 8 hour flight and one passenger shows the slightest symptom you will not be allowed off the plane.

Adrian_Stiff

« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2020, 07:18:41 AM »
We are planning a trip in late June / early July to Northern Ireland and Scotland.   I just got off the phone with one of the biggest clubs in Northern Ireland and he said all golf in the UK is shut down at least until May 1 or so.   He said they can only leave the house once a day.   

He did say that no one has canceled yet after June 1, but anyone out there have any ideas when golf would resume?   If anything is open besides the usual, one would think golf would be one of the first things to come back.   
Forget your plans to come to the UK then. We will probably be allowed to be playing golf then but not for international tourists. I think international travel will be some time in the future.
A combination of whats good for golf and good for turf.
The Players Club, Cumberwell Park, The Kendleshire, Oake Manor, Dainton Park, Forest Hills, Erlestoke, St Cleres.
www.theplayersgolfclub.com

JWinick

« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2020, 07:20:04 AM »

Complete speculation.    Everything is changing on a daily basis.   

If you take an 8 hour flight and one passenger shows the slightest symptom you will not be allowed off the plane.

JWinick

« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2020, 07:21:25 AM »

The clubs need the international revenue.   There's a big difference between holding an Open Championship and letting people play golf.   The US will open up travel to Europe and Europe will do the same.   I choose to be cautiously optimistic.   

Forget your plans to come to the UK then. We will probably be allowed to be playing golf then but not for international tourists. I think international travel will be some time in the future.

Adrian_Stiff

« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2020, 07:37:02 AM »

The clubs need the international revenue.   There's a big difference between holding an Open Championship and letting people play golf.   The US will open up travel to Europe and Europe will do the same.   I choose to be cautiously optimistic.   

It is not about INTERNATIONAL REVENUE stay indoors protect the NHS save lives is what we are all being preached. USA will likely have the most deaths from this terrible virus, I am no expert but I do not think any country will be wanting to accept a plane full of Americans as early as June. We certainly will only just be out of isolation. BTW optimists are very dangerous.
The Players Club, Cumberwell Park, The Kendleshire, Oake Manor, Dainton Park, Forest Hills, Erlestoke, St Cleres.

MKrohn

« Reply #7 on: April 02, 2020, 07:44:42 AM »

We (12 Australians) were due to go to Ireland/NI in late June but won't be going.

I think the lack of cancellations is more due to the money back arrangements. Whilst we have got back 95% of our hotel bookings, most of the golf clubs seem to be offering 50% back now or a 12 month rebook. We are presuming that changes as we get closer to the actual date and probably the external environment remains the same.

Adrian_Stiff

« Reply #8 on: April 02, 2020, 07:47:05 AM »

We (12 Australians) were due to go to Ireland/NI in late June but won't be going.

I think the lack of cancellations is more due to the money back arrangements. Whilst we have got back 95% of our hotel bookings, most of the golf clubs seem to be offering 50% back now or a 12 month rebook. We are presuming that changes as we get closer to the actual date and probably the external environment remains the same.
Yes that is the exact reason. It is what we are doing also.

archie_struthers

« Reply #9 on: April 02, 2020, 08:32:34 AM »
 :'( :-\

God bless to all who are suffering thru this plague. For some reason I'm strangely hopeful this morning that something is stirring and the great Doctors and scientists who are working are closing in on a cure. Just a crazy hunch but to all be careful and stay hopeful. We will golf again.....with our friends!

Tony_Muldoon

« Reply #10 on: April 02, 2020, 08:47:34 AM »
Good to see things are getting back to normal.

"J" posts about an upcoming UK&I trip and asks the groups opinions. 

He then argues with everyone who replies!

I find this oddly reassuring that all will soon be well.
Let's make GCA grate again!

Mark Pearce

« Reply #11 on: April 02, 2020, 08:49:24 AM »

It amazes me that you ever ask questions on here, seeing as how you already know all the answers!

I can't see a gnat in Hell's chance that you'll be playing golf in the UK in June.  Pretty clear that we're getting three months of lock down and then a gradual relaxation.  Travel may be allowed by early July but clubs will be rammed with members wanting to get out and will, I expect, still have restrictions on visitor play.
In June I will be riding the first three stages of this year's Tour de France route for charity.  630km (394 miles) in three days, with 7800m (25,600 feet) of climbing for the William Wates Memorial Trust (https://rideleloop.org/the-charity/) which supports underprivileged young people.

Mark Pearce

« Reply #12 on: April 02, 2020, 08:49:51 AM »

You beat me to it, Tony!
In June I will be riding the first three stages of this year's Tour de France route for charity.  630km (394 miles) in three days, with 7800m (25,600 feet) of climbing for the William Wates Memorial Trust (https://rideleloop.org/the-charity/) which supports underprivileged young people.

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #13 on: April 02, 2020, 09:05:58 AM »

You beat me to it, Tony!

Yesterday Winick was looking for cheap memberships off the backs of unemployed Arizonians. Today he wants to be made whole in the possibility his international travel is curtailed by the economic demise of a continent. I can’t wait for him to complete the triple crown tomorrow.

Predictions anyone?

Scott Warren

« Reply #14 on: April 02, 2020, 09:08:51 AM »
In what must be said is a very competitive field, “countries will open their borders prematurely so that a handful of golf clubs can feast on international green fee revenue” is probably the most remarkable thought-bubble JWinick has offered this forum.

A 36-hole day comprising of Birkdale and Rye is eminently sensible by comparison. 

Mark Saltzman

« Reply #15 on: April 02, 2020, 09:17:11 AM »
In what must be said is a very competitive field, “countries will open their borders prematurely so that a handful of golf clubs can feast on international green fee revenue” is probably the most remarkable thought-bubble JWinick has offered this forum.

A 36-hole day comprising of Birkdale and Rye is eminently sensible by comparison.

Scott, given the their distance apart and notoriously long rounds at Birkdale thanks to an abundance of visitor play, I think the Rye-Birkdale duo is only sensible on the longest of days.  Sadly, you'll need to wait until 2021  ::)

Jason Thurman

« Reply #16 on: April 02, 2020, 09:22:40 AM »

Complete speculation.    Everything is changing on a daily basis.   

Bro, you literally asked for complete speculation.

That said, golf will resume on 27 May throughout the UK, except in Wales, where it will resume on 6 June. All courses will lift restrictions on international play by 13 June, other than requiring visitors to wear masks when playing, preferably in a golf-traditional pattern such as argyle, houndstooth, etc.

"There will always be haters. That’s just the way it is. Hating dudes marry hating women and have hating ass kids." - Evan Turner

Some of y'all have never been called out in bold green font and it really shows.

Ian Mackenzie

« Reply #17 on: April 02, 2020, 09:34:43 AM »
JW...please pay attention to ALL the lyrics in this song...PLEASE:

https://youtu.be/e0-2XxgHIXk

https://apple.news/A0kej1vTiSZOMKexYt99j0A

We get it; you want to tee it up. We all do. Did you see the thread about how CV19 impacts golf trips? Add your name to the list and stay close to your family.

- help small businesses navigate CARES with your SBA expertise. (I am happy to help you here with private equity referrals!)
- spend your hard-earned money at places that REALLY need it: local restaurants, businesses in your own city.
- move the guest revenue to Beverly and OFCC as, after all the millions spent on work at both places, I imagine it would be helpful.

And, FWIW, you’re coming across as VERY, VERY tone deaf.

Our GBI friends have NO interest in seeing a group of middle aged men from a global Corona hot spot for months!
Seriously, you are a poster child example of how the virus can spread. You are acting like you are somehow immune to it all.

And to all: Our GCA pal, John Connolly, is on the FRONT LINES of this fight. He and his team of radiologists are seeing a MASSIVE uptick in infections in Chicago.He's watching families sign documents as their 47 year old healthy husband/father/son goes on a ventilator with a 50/50 chance of MAKING IT out alive.

He's having team meetings with x-ray techs in tears as they are 1) frightened and 2) shocked at the "carnage" before them. He wants to hug them, but he cant.

JW, some perspective, please.
« Last Edit: April 02, 2020, 09:39:30 AM by Ian Mackenzie »

Ian Andrew

« Reply #18 on: April 02, 2020, 09:56:22 AM »
The last post was excellent - thank you Ian

I don't believe any country will open themselves up to international flights this year.
World travel will not resume till we can vaccinate.

-

JWinick

« Reply #19 on: April 02, 2020, 09:56:35 AM »

Hilarious, Mr. Kavanaugh, and I appreciate your wit.

You beat me to it, Tony!

Yesterday Winick was looking for cheap memberships off the backs of unemployed Arizonians. Today he wants to be made whole in the possibility his international travel is curtailed by the economic demise of a continent. I can’t wait for him to complete the triple crown tomorrow.

Predictions anyone?

JWinick

« Reply #20 on: April 02, 2020, 10:00:04 AM »

I am very much involved in the CARES Act.   Ultimately, this is a golf course discussion site, so while you say I am tone deaf, that is perhaps inaccurate as I am not going to go into something that far off topic.

I am literally working on the finishing touches of an interview regarding the Payment Protection Program from perhaps the leading expert on it.    I don't think its is unreasonable to wonder if a golf trip (that I spent 50 hours organizing) is on or off in Late June.   

I know you guys love to give me a hard time - I can take it.   

We get it; you want to tee it up. We all do. Did you see the thread about how CV19 impacts golf trips? Add your name to the list and stay close to your family.

- help small businesses navigate CARES with your SBA expertise. (I am happy to help you here with private equity referrals!)
- spend your hard-earned money at places that REALLY need it: local restaurants, businesses in your own city.
- move the guest revenue to Beverly and OFCC as, after all the millions spent on work at both places, I imagine it would be helpful.

Our GBI friends have NO interest in seeing a group of middle aged men from a global Corona hot spot for months!
Seriously, you are a poster child example of how the virus can spread. You are acting like you are somehow immune to it all.

And to all: Our GCA pal, John Connolly, is on the FRONT LINES of this fight. He and his team of radiologists are seeing a MASSIVE uptick in infections in Chicago.He's watching families sign documents as their 47 year old healthy husband/father/son goes on a ventilator with a 50/50 chance of MAKING IT out alive.

He's having team meetings with x-ray techs in tears as they are 1) frightened and 2) shocked at the "carnage" before them. He wants to hug them, but he cant.

JWinick

« Reply #21 on: April 02, 2020, 10:01:19 AM »

Tony,

I appreciate your humor, but if I were to solicit an opinion from the group, am I then required to accept it universally?    Be safe and be well.

Best,
Jon

Jim Sherma

« Reply #22 on: April 02, 2020, 10:06:53 AM »
Just went through and started cancelling my trip to the Northern Highlands in June. Even if the official travel ban is lifted I can't see a way that it would be a good idea to follow through with the trip. I hate walking away from some of the cancellation fees but there is little that can be done about it.

Ian Mackenzie

« Reply #23 on: April 02, 2020, 10:10:42 AM »

I am very much involved in the CARES Act.   Ultimately, this is a golf course discussion site, so while you say I am tone deaf, that is perhaps inaccurate as I am not going to go into something that far off topic.

I am literally working on the finishing touches of an interview regarding the Payment Protection Program from perhaps the leading expert on it.    I don't think its is unreasonable to wonder if a golf trip (that I spent 50 hours organizing) is on or off in Late June.   

I know you guys love to give me a hard time - I can take it.   

"Ultimately" this is a site with other human beings who want to see the virus die.
These humans, who also are GCA hobbyists, would like YOU to do YOUR part.

Instead, you seem set on exporting the possibility of spreading the virus to another US city and two other countries.

My spring trip to Dornoch with my 3 core golfing pals was scrapped. Bummer.
Gives me more time to spend with my family and my dying 14 year old yellow lab.

JW, let's tee it up together when the smoke clears....locally!

JWinick

« Reply #24 on: April 02, 2020, 10:16:44 AM »
Ian, fair point - but, I have followed the guidelines even before they were issued.   I don't think its fair to judge someone harshly without knowing the facts.   There is no rule that says you can't go on an airplane under any circumstances.   My work is deemed essential as well, and I could go to the office every day, but would prefer not to.   The fact that I am eager to restart my life and the economy as soon as possible is not a bad thing.   
« Last Edit: April 02, 2020, 10:25:42 AM by JWinick »

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back