GolfClubAtlas.com > Golf Course Architecture

Fortification greens

<< < (2/7) > >>

Tom_Doak:
I'm sure I have played a few courses around the world where *actual* battlements from old wars are in play on golf courses.  The only one I can think of right now is Cape Fear in NC . . . and Royal Portrush with its "War Hollow" but I don't remember any terrain features that had to do with the battle.

I would say that Mike Strantz's and Jim Engh's work come the closest to "fortification" greens because of their fondness for exaggerated features.  A green like the 18th at Old Macdonald might qualify, too.

Kalen Braley:
Tom,

Interestingly enough, the first green that came to mind was the little short par 3 you did at Barnbougle Dunes with deep bunkers and a small surface.

Thomas Dai:
Maybe it’s because of the rudamentary nature of the equipment of the time, the clothing, the rustic nature of courses and the more basic rules of the game but somehow golf in time’s long gone by seems to be more a challenge than today.

The plotting like a military campaign of the best way through the countryside taking the fairest way, avoiding awkward, rough and hazardous terrain and outpost forts until the rampart like fortifications of the citadel is reached, scaled and ultimately conquered hopefully with sufficient strength remaining and enough ammunition still available for use to conquer numerous further citadels.

Seems like there used to be an element of the above in golf, an element that’s declined over the decades and doesn’t really exist much anymore.

Why has this military campaign type golf disappeared? Would it be nice if it were more prevalent?

And it doesn’t need to be over long distances either. Short cunning par-3’s. Par-4’s and par-5’s with deadly, fortified greens.

Even death or glory greens where even a mid-length hole might be best played in certain circumstances with a thoughtful lay-up and an accurate approach shot.

The various points made above and the examples of the short reverse Redan at The Country Club of Charleston, where I’ve read a lay-up is often the best tee shot, and Toms Little Devil at Barnbougle both mentioned above get near the heart of what I’m aiming at, although they’re par-3’s. I only know from a distance a little of the work of Mike Strantz and not much about Jim Engh, so I’ll do some research. What are other examples, especially others that have been built in the last few decades?

Has golf got scared?

Atb

PS - no points if you nominate holes from the somewhat different course at Bluegreen Dunkerque - https://www.bluegreen.fr/dunkerque/

MCirba:
Does this one qualify?   We affectionately refer to it as "The Tie-Fighter".   

Sadly a neutered shell of its former self these days, we still hope someday to restore it to it's odd and distinctive glory.

Jon Wiggett:

--- Quote from: Tom_Doak on March 31, 2020, 11:23:34 AM ---I'm sure I have played a few courses around the world where *actual* battlements from old wars are in play on golf courses.  The only one I can think of right now is Cape Fear in NC . . . and Royal Portrush with its "War Hollow" but I don't remember any terrain features that had to do with the battle.

--- End quote ---

I believe Painswick would also fit the bill Tom.

Close to me there is Muir of Ord which is a Braid course set mainly on heathland which has a hole with the green set on a mound built for a castle. Its a real all or nothing shot.

Jon

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version