News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Tom_Doak

Cramming All the Majors Into the Fall
« on: March 30, 2020, 12:03:11 PM »
I looked at GOLF DIGEST's web site today and it was full of speculation about playing the U.S. Open in October, The Masters in November, etc.

Does anyone else feel that this sort of speculation is misplaced right now?  Plus, that maybe it's wrong to say that "the majors must go on," if it means stepping over all the other events on Tour?  Is The Masters going to give a million dollars to the charity of the tournament they bump off the schedule?

We managed to survive several years of wartime without a major, and to see that gap in the record books is a sober reminder that things were serious back then.  To me, the idea that we have to play the majors is (a) a form of denial of how serious things are now, and (b) a good indicator of how each of the game's governing bodies think they are bigger and more important than everyone else.

Kalen Braley

Re: Cramming All the Majors Into the Fall
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2020, 12:08:21 PM »
Tom,

The point is well taken and a valid one.

But i think in this scenario, its a case of bored writers sitting around with nothing to do, and firing off some gossipy articles to see what sticks.  i'm guessing that's what happened with Brandel as well.

Adrian_Stiff

« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2020, 12:11:44 PM »
I think there will be no majors in 2020, probably no sporting events at all in the UK but I hope I am wrong. The events they substitute if they happen would just get relegated to the next best players. The Dunhill Links would be the likely casualty for the Open Championship. Don't know the US schedule but they do play majors alongside tour events as it is.

A combination of whats good for golf and good for turf.
The Players Club, Cumberwell Park, The Kendleshire, Oake Manor, Dainton Park, Forest Hills, Erlestoke, St Cleres.
www.theplayersgolfclub.com

Carl Rogers

« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2020, 12:13:26 PM »
Nothing will change unless millions die.

There is just too much $$$ in all this stuff.
I decline to accept the end of man. ... William Faulkner

jeffwarne

« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2020, 12:15:57 PM »
Point taken Tom.
But Im still pulling for a fall Masters!-Hope springs eternal and I'm not downplaying the seriousness fo what we're in.
I thnk that's just bored writer speculation as well.

OT a bit-I've often thought that playing an cool weather October/November US Open would be very interesting, counteracting effects of a supercharged ball in high heat and humidity,.Plenty of golf played in the UK in those months. and even through the winter.
Of course field size would be a problem.
"Let's slow the damned greens down a bit, not take the character out of them." Tom Doak
"Take their focus off the grass and put it squarely on interesting golf." Don Mahaffey

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2020, 12:16:24 PM »

Millions where?

Bernie Bell

« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2020, 12:18:11 PM »
The counter-argument would be the delayed 2001 World Series.  The President in a bullet-proof vest throwing a first pitch strike.  Ronan singing.  Golf is not baseball, I understand.  Not sure about all majors, but I can see a case to be made for a US Open at WF, pretty close to "Ground Zero" this time around, if conditions permit.  Maybe Rickie, who was honored to represent us in Rio (remember zika?), breaks through for a storybook moment.

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #7 on: March 30, 2020, 12:20:58 PM »
As millions are dying in third world countries this fall I can only hope that golf gives a shit.

Carl Rogers

« Reply #8 on: March 30, 2020, 12:26:06 PM »

Millions where?
I should have said millions of Americans die of something (war, plague, asteroid hits& etc.)
I decline to accept the end of man. ... William Faulkner

Tom_Doak

« Reply #9 on: March 30, 2020, 12:28:16 PM »
Point taken Tom.
But Im still pulling for a fall Masters!-Hope springs eternal and I'm not downplaying the seriousness fo what we're in.

I'd like to dismiss it as "bored writer speculation," but GOLF DIGEST is likely getting its info from the USGA and from Winged Foot.

Likewise, Augusta National is not working on contingencies for cornering the hotel market in Augusta this fall out of boredom.

Kalen Braley

« Reply #10 on: March 30, 2020, 12:39:14 PM »
Point taken Tom.

I'd like to dismiss it as "bored writer speculation," but GOLF DIGEST is likely getting its info from the USGA and from Winged Foot.

Likewise, Augusta National is not working on contingencies for cornering the hotel market in Augusta this fall out of boredom.

Tom,

I'm confused, you called it speculation in your OP, but now saying its not actually speculation based on the above.  Not sure what you're driving at here.

Peter Pallotta

« Reply #11 on: March 30, 2020, 12:42:01 PM »
I'm glad that golf's governing bodies are still planning for various possibilities, just as I'm grateful that grocery stores are still open. The importance of the former pales in comparison, of course, to that of the latter. But in times such as these what other responsibility do we have -- besides first and foremost taking good care of ourselves and others -- than to try to fulfill our appointed tasks and discharge our professional duties as best we can, regardless of how 'meaningless' they appear to be? Hope is a good thing; to just chuck in the towel and stop doing what we're being paid to do isn't a very hopeful approach. And, to answer Tom's question in this context: I think it's for the other tour stops (i.e. those who are employed to organize & run them) to do their jobs too, and to make the business case for why the majors shouldn't all be crammed into the Fall.       

Thomas Dai

« Reply #12 on: March 30, 2020, 12:49:20 PM »
Many a very point above and it's never good to be on the wrong side of history.

Here's a slightly different take ......

...... unless this horrible virus situation is well and truly 100% confirmed over would you be prepared to spectate or participate or assist or travel to/from such events?

atb

Kalen Braley

« Reply #13 on: March 30, 2020, 12:52:33 PM »
Many a very point above and it's never good to be on the wrong side of history.

Here's a slightly different take ......

...... unless this horrible virus situation is well and truly 100% confirmed over would you be prepared to spectate or participate or assist or travel to/from such events?

atb

Thomas,

Even thou I wouldn't personally..for someone who has a once in a lifetime chance to see the Masters at ANGC, that they wouldn't have otherwise?  I can see that being very tempting, risk and all...

A.G._Crockett

« Reply #14 on: March 30, 2020, 12:53:10 PM »
Since we're doing bored speculation about bored speculation, here's mine:

1. There will be no Masters this year.  Those guys do things their way and don't need the money, and I just don't see them competing against football (if there's football...) AND the possibility that the course won't look the way they want it to.

2. There won't be a PGA this year, though I am less certain about this one.

3. There won't be a British Open this year because I don't think that bringing lots of folks on airplanes to hotels located on islands while we are (hopefully) winding down from a pandemic AND hoping to avoid a fall second wave, as in 1918) will be viewed as sensible.

4. Of the 4, the US Open seems to me to be the most likely to happen, because I have the least confidence in the USGA to make good decisions about this stuff AND because I think those guys are the opposite of the guys that run ANGC in terms of pursuing money and being willing to put people at risk to do it.

I think lots of sporting events will go the way of March Madness this year, if only because of the uncertainty of the current situation and the possibility of a second wave in the fall.  It's possible that there will be some things played in empty arenas, but even that doesn't address the liability issues for the the people that would be putting athletes at risk thru travel and lodging and contact.

I think a lot of folks in the sports industry are going to have to do the same thing that several million servers have had to do in the restaurant/bar industry, among many others; bite the bullet.  Their advantage, of course, is that they actually can afford a bullet to bite.
"Golf...is usually played with the outward appearance of great dignity.  It is, nevertheless, a game of considerable passion, either of the explosive type, or that which burns inwardly and sears the soul."      Bobby Jones

Jeff_Brauer

« Reply #15 on: March 30, 2020, 01:02:23 PM »

Whether golf, hockey or basketball I think the only logical conclusions is to wrap it up this year and have no majors.  Certainly not the end of the world, as TD noted.  End of revenues for a year, yes, which might be driving the speculation.

And, revenue related, but regarding my season hockey tickets.....There is talk about how much fans are missing the season, the Stanley Cup, etc. and much wringing of hands.  Gotta say, I have adapted quite well and am not missing a thing - Especially the overpriced food and drink at the stadiums.  (Granted watching the news breathlessly for the latest death toll is wearing a bit thin on me.

So, I have to believe they powers that be are more interested in fans NOT losing interest and fans finding out they really don't need to pay big bucks to see a golf tournament.  So, not only do they miss the revenues from this year's tournament X, it may suffer for years.

Of course, I believe the recessions of 2000 and 2008 both reduced golf rounds, and once people got out of the habit of playing, they found out they didn't love it as much as they thought they did.
Jeff Brauer, ASGCA Director of Outreach

jeffwarne

« Reply #16 on: March 30, 2020, 01:07:50 PM »
Since we're doing bored speculation about bored speculation, here's mine:

1. There will be no Masters this year.  Those guys do things their way and don't need the money, and I just don't see them competing against football (if there's football...) AND the possibility that the course won't look the way they want it to.

2. There won't be a PGA this year, though I am less certain about this one.

3. There won't be a British Open this year because I don't think that bringing lots of folks on airplanes to hotels located on islands while we are (hopefully) winding down from a pandemic AND hoping to avoid a fall second wave, as in 1918) will be viewed as sensible.

4. Of the 4, the US Open seems to me to be the most likely to happen, because I have the least confidence in the USGA to make good decisions about this stuff AND because I think those guys are the opposite of the guys that run ANGC in terms of pursuing money and being willing to put people at risk to do it.

I think lots of sporting events will go the way of March Madness this year, if only because of the uncertainty of the current situation and the possibility of a second wave in the fall.  It's possible that there will be some things played in empty arenas, but even that doesn't address the liability issues for the the people that would be putting athletes at risk thru travel and lodging and contact.

I think a lot of folks in the sports industry are going to have to do the same thing that several million servers have had to do in the restaurant/bar industry, among many others; bite the bullet.  Their advantage, of course, is that they actually can afford a bullet to bite.

IF there is only one major played, it will be The Masters.
It wa splayed in 1942 on the heels of the December attack in Dec 1942.
their infrastructure is mostly permanant, and they don't have a knucklehead committee like the USGA, who clearly are afraid of lawyers.
And while they don't need the money, they are acutely aware of their financial impact on a small city like Augusta(compared to SF or NYC)

As you said, IF there is a football season...The competition against football is laughable as the week's big college games can be easily moved to evening (as they often are) and anyone that would choose a meaningless(in te fight to go .500 and make the playoff tournament) NFL game that time of year for The Masters, shouldn't be considered.
They don't have any commercials and CBS doesn't pay them much for the rights so it's not like they're killing CBS revenue.(other than football)
"Let's slow the damned greens down a bit, not take the character out of them." Tom Doak
"Take their focus off the grass and put it squarely on interesting golf." Don Mahaffey

Jeff Schley

« Reply #17 on: March 30, 2020, 01:13:59 PM »
We have peoples lives vs. golf majors, ask your parent/grandparent who lived through or served in WWII what they think.  I think we will find we will all do just fine without golf's majors as there is the concept of priorities. Living outside the US for quite a few years now, has given me perspective that the US is just a far bit too fanatical about their sports.  Strip back all the things that have been cancelled/affected; sports, entertainment, movies, partying, etc. and we are left with God and family. Two pretty good ones in a long list. There is no convenient time to change priorities, you do it when it's needed. We will live through it and a year or so from now, I hope a better world we will find.
"To give anything less than your best, is to sacrifice your gifts."
- Steve Prefontaine

Jeff Schley

« Reply #18 on: March 30, 2020, 01:16:44 PM »

IF there is only one major played, it will be The Masters.
It wa splayed in 1942 on the heels of the December attack in Dec 1942.

December 7th, 1941, a day which shall live in infamy........... FDR
Or maybe not....... ;)
"To give anything less than your best, is to sacrifice your gifts."
- Steve Prefontaine

Chris Mavros

« Reply #19 on: March 30, 2020, 01:26:28 PM »
Golf Digest is hardly the only medium out there addressing rescheduling the majors.  In fact, most golf media outlets are.  Odd to single out GD but it's all speculation at this point anyways. 

Mark Pearce

« Reply #20 on: March 30, 2020, 01:42:28 PM »
Some (apparently informed) speculation over here that the Premier League football season, which has 92 games left to play between the 20 clubs, may be completed in June and July, behind closed doors and in a small geographical area (so all games played in a small number of stadiums, likely in or around Birmingham).  Some suggestion that this is being discussed with government involvement as a way of entertaining us as the country approaches the first loosening of the lock down and because the government sees sport as something important for the population.  I'd have no problem with one or two of the Majors being played as a welcome acknowledgement that the worst is over, so long as the timing is right and it is consistent with whatever the medical advice is at the time.
In June I will be riding the first three stages of this year's Tour de France route for charity.  630km (394 miles) in three days, with 7800m (25,600 feet) of climbing for the William Wates Memorial Trust (https://rideleloop.org/the-charity/) which supports underprivileged young people.

David_Tepper

JESII

« Reply #22 on: March 30, 2020, 01:51:59 PM »
And Mark, that point matters. Sport can be a potential diversion for many.

Not endorsing a decision one way or another, but if we asked those grandparents that were alive during WWII if they thought some sports events would be helpful during a time as challenging as that was...I'd bet the answer would be play on from a fair number of them.

This is certainly different for many reasons, but shutting down the world seems a short term solution to come up with a go forward strategy. Sport will certainly be some part of that.

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #23 on: March 30, 2020, 02:01:23 PM »
"And although Africa’s handling of the pandemic has received scant global attention so far, experts worry the virus may ravage countries with weak health systems and a population disproportionately affected by HIV, tuberculosis (TB), and other infectious diseases. “Social distancing” will be hard to do in the continent’s overcrowded cities and slums."

https://www.sciencemag.org/news/2020/03/ticking-time-bomb-scientists-worry-about-coronavirus-spread-africa

It might be difficult ignoring an entire continent dying, one that has blessed us with some of our finest golfers, in the middle of election season.
« Last Edit: March 30, 2020, 02:04:29 PM by John Kavanaugh »

Cliff Hamm

« Reply #24 on: March 30, 2020, 02:11:33 PM »
Why has the Senior Open at Newport not been canceled?

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back