GolfClubAtlas.com > Golf Course Architecture

Speed slots

(1/5) > >>

Tommy Williamsen:
A bunch of years ago a friend, Don, and I spent the day playing all the courses at Firestone. When we got to the 16th tee of the South course we both hit good solid drives. Don normally hits his tee shot longer than I do. Yet, when we got to our balls mine was about twenty yards ahead of his. I hit mine down the left side of the fairway while Don’s tee shot was to the right. We went back and hit about four drives each trying to hit the little “speed slot.” It was fun.
Last year I played Philly Cricket for the second time. On 18 my first time around I hit my drive a bit to the right and had a long second shot in. This time I hit a pretty good hook and it tumbled way down the hill. I’m not sure it qualifies as a speed shot since all I did was catch a hill.
What qualifies as a speed slot?
Do you as architects make them on purpose or do most of them happen accidentally during the shaping?
How do you plan for one? At what distance do you put a kick plate?They’re fun but my guess is that creating one is no easy feat.

Tom_Doak:
Tommy:

It's not hard at all to create a speed slot, but there are two inherent problems:

1.  Because one side falls away from the tee and the other, not so much, they are blind from the tee and therefore not easily recognized.

2.  They exaggerate the advantage of long hitters which is already too much.

My favorite type of speed slot is the one that helps the senior guy catch up to the younger guys -- one that is, say 220 yards from the tee.  But, on those the landing area for the long hitter is going to be blind, and he's going to complain about that.

Kyle Harris:

--- Quote from: Tom_Doak on March 30, 2020, 11:00:30 AM ---Tommy:

It's not hard at all to create a speed slot, but there are two inherent problems:

1.  Because one side falls away from the tee and the other, not so much, they are blind from the tee and therefore not easily recognized.

2.  They exaggerate the advantage of long hitters which is already too much.

My favorite type of speed slot is the one that helps the senior guy catch up to the younger guys -- one that is, say 220 yards from the tee.  But, on those the landing area for the long hitter is going to be blind, and he's going to complain about that.

--- End quote ---

People are often shocked when I hit 2-iron from Streamsong Red #10 tee and my ball is right next to theirs in the fairway... if they found the fairway. 

A carry of about 210-220 will bound down to 260 or so from the tee, but just beyond is an upslope that kills the rollout on long carries.

Tommy Williamsen:
If I remember correctly 17 at Ballyneal has a great speed slot and although I have not been to ANGC number ten seems to have one of the best in the business.

Bernie Bell:
There's one at my home course that some of the women call the G spot.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version