News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Ash Towe

Re: Coronavirus 2020: Golf Holiday Casualty List
« Reply #25 on: March 20, 2020, 08:31:05 PM »
6 days in Melbourne postponed for at least a year.

David_Elvins

« Reply #26 on: March 20, 2020, 08:44:36 PM »
Forget your trips being canceled, this is quite possibly the end of golf as we know it.

Explain how it's the end of golf?

Didn't say this was the end of golf. Just possibly the end of golf as we know it. 

If the median outcome here is a 2 year "great depression" that has massive implications for the game of golf that don't involve delaying until 2021 what we canceled in 2020.
Ask not what GolfClubAtlas can do for you; ask what you can do for GolfClubAtlas.

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #27 on: March 20, 2020, 08:54:55 PM »
Forget your trips being canceled, this is quite possibly the end of golf as we know it.

Explain how it's the end of golf?

Didn't say this was the end of golf. Just possibly the end of golf as we know it. 

If the median outcome here is a 2 year "great depression" that has massive implications for the game of golf that don't involve delaying until 2021 what we canceled in 2020.

If that turns out to be true all the people on this site who don't play golf anyway will get everything they always wanted.

Michael Wolf

« Reply #28 on: March 20, 2020, 09:59:06 PM »
Had plans for a May trip starting in St Enodoc and working my way up the coastline into Wales. No cancelation emails from the clubs yet, but I'm sure they'll hit the inbox any day.

Of course I'm disappointed. But I can take solace that I lucked out in fitting 3 great weeks in Australia into the exact window between the end of the bushfire smoke and the CV travel restrictions. Very lucky.

Michael

Mike_Clayton

« Reply #29 on: March 20, 2020, 11:14:58 PM »
No caddying for me at the US Open for Lukas Michel - the 'kid' from Metropolitan who won the Mid-Am last year. He arrived back from US this morning and started his 14-day quarantine. But not after spending last week playing at Augusta.
Hopefully he gets to play both either later this year or next year - assuming the exemption carries over.

Bernie Bell

« Reply #30 on: March 21, 2020, 07:53:09 AM »
Seems a little early in the game, and pessimistic, to be calling the end of anything as we know it.  Even if it does come to pass that COVID and the world's first voluntarily-induced recession spell the "end of golf as we know it," might not some changes be for the better?  Participation rates near me are sky high.  Full tee sheets at publics and the privates that remain open.  Will this carry over once the usual pastimes and family commitments return?  In tough times, will golfers believe that what makes golf is golf, as they are experiencing it now, and not the trappings?  In tough times, will operators/clubs see opportunity in offering affordable golf as golf without trappings, $$$ maintenance, etc?  Might both golfers' attention and industry opportunity return to and improve the solid, time-tested courses where people live and away from bucket list courses far removed?  More belt-notching with near-by funs and favorites, and less with far-away "greats"?  Not all change would be for the best, of course.  But I can imagine a lot that might be.  Golf is great.  Golf will be fine.

Ulrich Mayring

« Reply #31 on: March 21, 2020, 08:06:53 AM »
I agree, Golf will be fine. The economy will be fine. Society will be fine - although I suspect a different society with different values.
Golf Course Exposé (300+ courses reviewed), Golf CV (how I keep track of 'em)

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #32 on: March 21, 2020, 08:16:02 AM »
Will raters ever be able to cold call a course again?

Jay Mickle

« Reply #33 on: March 21, 2020, 09:15:04 AM »
I have a hard time understanding any travel at this time. It seems to just be a way to spread the virus and prolong the outbreak. I am happy to play locally, walking and carrying. Likely to miss a 7 day New Jersey trip and the BUDA. Still hopeful  but.....
@MickleStix on Instagram
MickleStix.com

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #34 on: March 21, 2020, 09:26:37 AM »
Jay, do you believe that Pinehurst could be putting your community at harm by staying open for play for anyone from anywhere?

David_Tepper

« Reply #35 on: March 21, 2020, 08:35:10 PM »
United has suspended almost all of their international flights thru the end of April:
https://www.sfgate.com/travel/article/Routes-Airlines-roundup-cuts-15146063.php

Richard Fisher

« Reply #36 on: March 23, 2020, 06:08:55 AM »
Woodhall Spa outing next weekend
Usual Gogs May tour, this time to Seaton Carew, Hartlepool, Cleveland, clearly endangered, as is June hosting of American friends coming to Harlech and Aberdovey prior to Curtis Cup at Conwy
Various National Trust parks and other public open spaces are being closed here in the UK, and I guess it is a real question for how long we are going to able to use courses at all (as opposed to their club facilities, already shut down)…
Stay safe everybody

Sean_A

« Reply #37 on: March 23, 2020, 06:49:07 AM »
So far its not been too bad for me.  Woodhall Spa/Seacroft & Brancaster/Hunstanton trips cancelled postponed.  I am still hoping to visit Scotland in the summer, but now I am beginning to doubt it will happen.  I feel sorry for folks like Sweet Lou who had bucket list trips cancelled.

Ciao
New plays planned for 2024: Fraserburgh, Turnberry, Isle of Harris, Benbecula, Askernish, Traigh, St Medan, Hankley Common, Ashridge, Gog Magog Old & Cruden Bay St Olaf

Tommy Williamsen

« Reply #38 on: March 23, 2020, 07:25:02 AM »
No major casualties but I cancelled a little trip to Hilton Head and Frederick for April and Hidden Creek in May. I can do them at another date. I have trips to Jerusalem in October and Ireland in November that I hope will be unaffected.
Where there is no love, put love; there you will find love.
St. John of the Cross

"Deep within your soul-space is a magnificent cathedral where you are sweet beyond telling." Rumi

Thomas Dai

« Reply #39 on: March 23, 2020, 02:18:48 PM »
My sympathies to all who have had trips cancelled or have had to defer them and to those in locations where the income generated by such visits is important.
I had three trips in place for the next few months. Indeed I am supposed to be away on a trip as I type this but am at home instead, whilst the two others scheduled for the next few months have also been cancelled (or rather hopefully just postponed until circumstances alleviate).
Stay safe.
Atb

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back