News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Bill Shamleffer

Golf Journal
« on: March 23, 2020, 05:39:20 PM »
I received the new issue of Golf Journal in today’s mail.  Vol 57, Issue 1.  Had no idea this was in the works.

First off, good to have something nice to read on paper for a break during these days.

Some of the contributors include Tom Doak, Bradley Klein, & Ron Sirak.

Tom Doak contribution is the old Great Golf Hole, with  fold out for a good wide photo.

But they need to also bring back the old Rules article that was always in every issue.

Hope this lasts.
“The race is not always to the swift, nor the battle to the strong, but that's the way to bet.”  Damon Runyon

Tim_Cronin

Re: Golf Journal
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2020, 05:52:37 PM »
Finally! I thought it a huge mistake by the USGA to drop it in favor of a newsletter and then nothing. It was their best PR tool even in the Internet era.

Checked the USGA website and it's available for the basic membership of $36.
The website: www.illinoisgolfer.net
On Twitter: @illinoisgolfer

Tom_Doak

« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2020, 07:35:02 PM »
They kept it very quiet. 

I was happy to contribute.

Back in its glory days, I made friends with Jim Finegan by providing the photos for many of his articles on courses in GB & I.

Keith Phillips

« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2020, 07:41:52 AM »
Finally! I thought it a huge mistake by the USGA to drop it in favor of a newsletter and then nothing. It was their best PR tool even in the Internet era.

Tim, where is that on the USGA website?  I searched for 'journal' and there were no results.

Chris Mavros

« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2020, 09:26:56 AM »

Tim, where is that on the USGA website?  I searched for 'journal' and there were no results.

You get it as part of paying for the annual membership; it doesn't look like they are offering it for individual sale. 

Ira Fishman

« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2020, 09:40:51 AM »
They kept it very quiet. 

I was happy to contribute.

Back in its glory days, I made friends with Jim Finegan by providing the photos for many of his articles on courses in GB & I.

Tom, did you get to pick the hole?

Ira

Tim_Cronin

« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2020, 03:30:00 PM »

You get it as part of paying for the annual membership; it doesn't look like they are offering it for individual sale.

Correct. It's only mentioned in the benefits (that and a bag tag, etc.) for basic membership. Way back, you could get a subscription for something like $8. Then it was folded into the USGA Associates (now Members) program. So it will be again.
The website: www.illinoisgolfer.net
On Twitter: @illinoisgolfer

Tom_Doak

« Reply #7 on: March 24, 2020, 04:31:15 PM »

Tom, did you get to pick the hole?

Yes.  As Mr. Dye had just passed away, they suggested a hole that Pete had built, and I volunteered the 5th hole at Long Cove, where I first worked for him in the summer of 1981.

Joe Bausch

« Reply #8 on: March 24, 2020, 07:54:53 PM »
I just read it cover to cover.  And really enjoyed it.  I hope the quality continues!
@jwbausch (for new photo albums)
The site for the Cobb's Creek project:  https://cobbscreek.org/
Nearly all Delaware Valley golf courses in photo albums: Bausch Collection

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back