News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Mike_Young

Privately owned public play courses are doing just fine as Corona closes all the munis.  Why would a city or county subsidize a line item in order for that line item to compete with a tax paying entity who can and does provide the same service?  My gut says this will stop some of it, especially as sales tax revenues have decreased during this time etc.
« Last Edit: March 21, 2020, 07:24:51 PM by Mike_Young »
"just standing on a corner in Winslow Arizona"

John Kavanaugh

Chain gangs steal road work. Cool Hand Luke built a road using the same process we do with free labor.

Mike_Young

Chain gangs steal road work. Cool Hand Luke built a road using the same process we do with free labor.
That's true....and it should be stopped...

John Kavanaugh

I was just thinking that with raters becoming obsolete and your tee sheets being full you and me just might be the two happiest guys on Earth. A bizarro world indeed.

Carl Rogers

Another question:
What is the transmission risk difference between a clubhouse's food service and a restaurant?
Zero.
Close it down.
I decline to accept the end of man. ... William Faulkner

Joe Zucker

I believe New York did the opposite.  With the close of all non-essential businesses, golf courses were included.  But I saw something on Instagram that Bethpage is still open and taking tee times (with some precautions).

SL_Solow

Mike my friend.  If you don't think you have a problem, you are mistaken.  Right now we all have a problem and we all need to become part of the solution.  I sincerely hope you continue to prosper and I hope that you are taking precautions

Mike_Young

Another question:
What is the transmission risk difference between a clubhouse's food service and a restaurant?
Zero.
Close it down.
The post was referring to how the rounds take care of themselves w/o govt interference.  I understand the COVAD 19 issue...please watch this video we put out for golfers...no where have I said my clubhouse was open and we go beyond..https://www.facebook.com/TheFieldsGolfClub/videos/249834982717304/

John Kavanaugh

Mike my friend.  If you don't think you have a problem, you are mistaken.  Right now we all have a problem and we all need to become part of the solution.  I sincerely hope you continue to prosper and I hope that you are taking precautions

Word for word the above could be sent to your friend that is keeping Bandon Dunes open.

You can not expect the little guy to close while industry leaders with non stop flights from San Fran remain open.

SL_Solow

Barney,  no argument here.  Sauce for the goose should be sauce for the gander.  But you may have misperceived my point.  If golf is deemed to be "safe" if played under the right conditions I am all for it as a needed distraction and healthy activity.  If the shop and restaurant follow appropriate safety rules, the same is true.  How travel by air to Bandon can be safe is a tougher question. My biggest issue was Mike's statement that the operators did not have a problem.  Awfully short sighted given the scope of the problem.  I think Mike acknowledged as such.  By the way, I know how that works.  As a bankruptcy lawyer during the financial crisis our business benefited.  While we were happy for the business, I can assure you that we did not view the economic crisis as not being a "problem".  We would have been just as happy to compete for work in better times.

Mike_Young

Barney,  no argument here.  Sauce for the goose should be sauce for the gander.  But you may have misperceived my point.  If golf is deemed to be "safe" if played under the right conditions I am all for it as a needed distraction and healthy activity.  If the shop and restaurant follow appropriate safety rules, the same is true.  How travel by air to Bandon can be safe is a tougher question. My biggest issue was Mike's statement that the operators did not have a problem.  Awfully short sighted given the scope of the problem.  I think Mike acknowledged as such.  By the way, I know how that works.  As a bankruptcy lawyer during the financial crisis our business benefited.  While we were happy for the business, I can assure you that we did not view the economic crisis as not being a "problem".  We would have been just as happy to compete for work in better times.
SL,I am assuming you watched the video we sent out and how we have set up during these times. 

My wife manages the ER here in our town and we are actually on a "shelter in place at home" except for food/fuel and exercise which can be walks with golf included.  Our county is the only county in the state with such a restriction due to our being the "Berkley of the South" image. 

At our place if you go to our FB page you will see that we spray our carts after each round, wipe our pins, allow no clubhouse access except for bathroom which is sprayed each hour and all of our water is bottled with no ice etc.  Tee times are 15 minutes apart and only one group can be under the tent checking in at a time.  We allow 2 foursomes on the putting green. 

When I stated that owners of privately held public venues had no problem , I was speaking of the golf business and how the closing of the munis eliminated the perceived "not enough golfers" problem.  I was not bringing COVAD19 into the discussion.  Sorry for not clarifying.

John Emerson

Having carts seems to me to be a major issue!!  How is this allowed or encouraged?  All course should be walking only at this point.  This is contributing to the problem.
“There’s links golf, then everything else.”

Mike_Young

Having carts seems to me to be a major issue!!  How is this allowed or encouraged?  All course should be walking only at this point.  This is contributing to the problem.
Why is cart a problem?

John Kavanaugh

John,

Starting in January I notified my club that I would only be riding single in a cart because my daughter had just returned from China. It is a worthwhile method of social distancing. Actually much better than strolling off a tee box and gathering at the green while carrying your bag. Carts are not the issue of the day.

Aren't you a big dog dude? I would be far more concerned about dog to human transmission than cart to....

John Emerson

Why is cart a problem?

You don’t see the issue with multiple people driving the same cart? 
“There’s links golf, then everything else.”

Mike_Young

Why is cart a problem?

You don’t see the issue with multiple people driving the same cart?
I think my fb page says upfront we send one to a cart unless two golfers request to ride together..

Pete_Pittock

likely spoken by a person who does not require a cart, even at a 9 hole course. 

SL_Solow

All of the clubs I have spoken to have gone to one person per cart and are wiping them down with disinfectant after each use.  I don't know about Barney's club.

John Kavanaugh

Barney’s Club is closed now. The one person cart thing was something I started personally in January to protect my buddies.

SL_Solow

Smart and considerate.

John Kavanaugh

I do truly love my golf buds and have found that absence has made the heart grow fonder. They call me the Smart and Considerate Kid.

Mike_Young

All of the clubs I have spoken to have gone to one person per cart and are wiping them down with disinfectant after each use.  I don't know about Barney's club.
we use a backsprayer with a clorox solution and then wipe...

John Kavanaugh

In place of playing another day of bastardized half cup out social distanced golf send a buddy you haven't seen in a while a note. You can not compare the faces you see every day to that one voice that asks when you can make it back.

And no, I have not tested positive, don't know anyone who has tested positive and have not knowingly been around anyone who has tested positive.  I am taking care of my father on an unrelated health issue in a world now where health is the only issue.

Mike_Young

All the best to your Dad....

John Kavanaugh

All the best to your Dad....

Dad is great thanks. He is just one of many elderly people living alone that could use a gatekeeper. I find myself living in a house on the ocean with a man who loves me unconditionally. Who could want more.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back