News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Ran Morrissett

Brother John and I were talking over Thanksgiving (which seems an eternity ago in light of current events  :( ) and he mentioned he was headed to Hawaii mid-December for 10 days. A Morrissett never goes anywhere for that length without playing golf so I asked him which courses were on his radar. He mentioned this and that one, before noting, ‘I am also going back to Kahuku Golf Course.’ The key word in that sentence was ‘back’ as I believe people vote with their time. Clearly, here was a course that captured my brother’s fancy so I Googled it.

One review – not written by B. Darwin or H.W. Wind – said it was ‘reasonably priced.’ To put that in perspective, I later learned from my bother that the green fee for this nine-holer is $22 for non-residents and $9 - $14 for nine holes for Hawaiian residents (depending on weekday vs. weekend and whether they have just a HI driver's license or a HI golfer ID card). No idea if the reviewer would think that $25 was outrageous  ::) but I knew I needed to wait for my brother’s profile to learn something more substantive.

And here it is:

https://golfclubatlas.com/kahuku-golf-course/

Like my bother’s last submission on the Himalayan Golf Course, this profile is different. GolfClubAtlas has profiled many world-class courses designed by famous architects. Alas, plenty of those come with a high price tag. Kahuku doesn’t pretend to be world class, its architect is unknown and it is emphatically not expensive.

Like so many village courses in the U.K., its very lack of pretense helps make it hugely appealing. Most importantly, it looks quite fun to grab an armful of clubs and go have a stroll. Several of the greens average in the 2000 square foot range, so try hitting those – ocean breeze or not!

The Hawaiian vibe shines through in John’s prose and helps to explain why this would be a charming experience, no matter how well traveled one might be. Turf fanatics need not play here but the rest of us will clearly enjoy our time outdoors in a magical spot on the world’s most isolated chain of islands. 

Best,
« Last Edit: April 11, 2020, 01:49:45 PM by Ran Morrissett »

Lynn_Shackelford

Re: Kahuku Golf Course profile is posted under Courses by Country
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2020, 05:26:44 PM »
I have not had the pleasure of playing this course.  However once when studying all the municipal courses on Oahu, I had access to its operating numbers.  It loses money.  But with a little curiosity, I started looking at it on google maps and quickly decided that among all the municipal courses in Hawaii, this would be the one you would want to operate, and play around a little with the maintenance and architecture.  The only other one like this might be Hilo Municipal designed in 1951 by Willard Wilkinson, a disciple of Tillinghast.  However the daily rain there might get to be discouraging.  Of course both of these, Hilo and Kahuku are owned by governments in Hawaii, notoriously known as difficult with whom to deal, unless you happen to be an insider.  Thanks for bringing Kahuku to everyone's attention. I suspect it will stay as is, affordable and in rough shape, and maybe that isn't so bad.
It must be kept in mind that the elusive charm of the game suffers as soon as any successful method of standardization is allowed to creep in.  A golf course should never pretend to be, nor is intended to be, an infallible tribunal.
               Tom Simpson

Tom_Doak

« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2020, 11:16:01 PM »
I visited Kahuku a couple of years ago at the urging of the green chairman at Waialae C.C.

It is just as John describes.  There is very very little "definition" to the turf which is reminiscent of the common land courses in the U.K.

The only point I'd argue with John is whether surfing and golf coexist well.  I see no reason why they shouldn't; however, local surfers have stuck the knife in more than one potential new golf course along the Hawaiian coastline over the years.  Maybe this one is different because it's priced for the surfers to play.

Tommy Williamsen

« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2020, 10:52:39 AM »
Thanks for the profile. I’m not sure I would substitute this course for another one but it is nice to see an affordable course for locals. Wailua is probably the poster child for affordable courses in Hawaii, however. Given the size of the greens and the wind, a player who grows up here will have to be a good iron player and possess brilliant chipping skills.
« Last Edit: March 22, 2020, 12:03:25 AM by Tommy Williamsen »
Where there is no love, put love; there you will find love.
St. John of the Cross

"Deep within your soul-space is a magnificent cathedral where you are sweet beyond telling." Rumi

Michael Wolf

« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2020, 12:44:47 PM »
I've played Wailua several times and always enjoyed it's local feel - would be curious how Kahuku compares for those who have played both?

Michael

Jerry Kluger

« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2020, 10:06:02 AM »
I remember when I first went to Ireland my introduction to true local golf was Mulranny where you put your green fee in the honor box and you played the course watching not to step in cow or sheep droppings and teeing off with a cow lying next to your your ball.  It is these nine hole courses that have so much character and bring you back to what is the nature ;D  of the game.

Joe_Tucholski

« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2020, 12:43:47 PM »

Being on a small island it sounds strange to say but the course is remote.  From where I lived it took over an hour to drive to the course, without traffic.  There really isn't a large population base that this course can draw from.  The only other course in the general area is Turtle Bay.  Turtle Bay clearly targets tourists but also has a pretty good deal for locals where the golf comes out to $50ish/round (and a $15 dollar super twilight rate).

I figure the course serves the small local population around Kahuku and Laie and is good for what it is.  Like most golf on Oahu, keep your expectations low, enjoy the setting and hopefully you'll be pleasantly surprised.

John Morrissett

« Reply #7 on: March 22, 2020, 12:47:33 PM »
One of the real pleasures to be found in golf is playing a good course about which you know next to nothing.  The first round at Fishers Island in 1986 will always win the prize for this award with the Morrissett family.  Imagine playing that gem without ever having seen a picture of it and knowing nothing other than the fact that Seth Raynor designed it; by the time Ran, Dad and I reached the 5th tee, we were positively hyperventilating and wondering if we were on the greatest course on the planet!

While not on the same scale as that experience as Fishers Island, my first time at Kahuku Golf Course was similar.  I had seen two or three pictures of the course and read a few comments about it but otherwise knew no details.  I wound up loving it: A beautiful setting and very good piece of property, a fun variety of holes, some unique  architectural elements, and a casual Hawaiian atmosphere.  That first visit led to a second visit on a subsequent trip to Oahu, and it’s safe to say that any future trip to the island will include one or more rounds at Kahuku.

Sometimes critics overlook the fact that golf courses are purpose built – they are there to achieve a particular objective of the owner (host a significant tournament, be a “Top 100” course, allow resort guests a pretty but undemanding round, help sell real estate, present a fun challenge for members, allow beginners to play in a non-intimidating environment, etc.).  Kahuku was never intended to host a big tournament or enter into any rankings.  Rather, it was built to provide a recreational venue for employees and local residents.  Given the loyal following the course enjoys locally among players of all skill levels, it has certainly achieved its goal of serving as a place for fun, and it is has me wishing that I lived nearby so it could be my home course.  (Granted, if I lived nearby I would be happy for many other reasons as well!)

John Morrissett

« Reply #8 on: March 22, 2020, 01:07:48 PM »
I played Wailua back in 2001 and don't entirely trust my memory of it.  I remember the 2nd along the beach and the two par three on the back nine as standout holes.  It was certainly an amazing value, and it has even hosted a couple of U.S. Amateur Public Links Championships.  As Joe points out, Kahuku is off the beaten path, while Wailua is very much on the the beaten path (at least in terms of Kauai, where it borders the main road). 

While this has nothing to do with architecture, Kahuku feels more like that cliche of a "hidden gem" - you won't stumble across it accidentally, there is little to be found about it even in this age of the internet, and it has a loyal following.  It also receives much less play than Wailua does.  On the architecture side, while each hole has something to it, I love the stretch of 3-6 and to see how the dune was used unapologetically for three par threes and a drivable par 4.  Those four holes are fun as well as challenging.  The 5th is one of the most clever and original holes (and in a deceivingly simple way) that I have come across. 

MCirba

« Reply #9 on: March 23, 2020, 04:28:01 PM »
Nothing definitive yet, but I'd be surprised if the course wasn't planned or designed by one Thomas G.S. Walker, a transplanted Scot who became manager of the Kahuku Plantation in 1928 at age 32.   He came to Hawaii in 1920 after being wounded twice in WWI as a Lieutenant in the Royal Scots.   

Walker was a much beloved manager, and when his house burned down in 1932 the locals took a collection and presented Walker and his wife with $2,200 in the midst of the Depression.   Walker was a huge advocate for sports, a local politician, a golfer, and seemingly a man of great generosity who built the golf course where his workers played for free.   Joe Katsuuma was his Athletic Director and may have been similarly involved.
https://www.localciting.com/mapping-the-territory/survey-of-kahuku-as-a-plantation-town-kahuku-ahupuaa-oahu/
"Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent" - Calvin Coolidge

https://cobbscreek.org/

John Morrissett

« Reply #10 on: March 24, 2020, 05:15:19 PM »
Great research!  It sounds like he certainly had the course built, and, as you suggest, there is a fair chance that he designed it as well. 

MCirba

« Reply #11 on: March 24, 2020, 11:07:31 PM »
Great research!  It sounds like he certainly had the course built, and, as you suggest, there is a fair chance that he designed it as well.

Thanks, John...loved the review and the course looks like great fun!
"Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent" - Calvin Coolidge

https://cobbscreek.org/

Marty Bonnar

« Reply #12 on: March 27, 2020, 09:58:05 AM »
Wonderful stuff. The Scottish connection(s) with Hawaii continue to intrigue and excite me.
Cheers,
F.
The White River runs dark through the heart of the Town,
Washed the people coal-black from the hole in the ground.

Ronald Montesano

« Reply #13 on: April 06, 2020, 08:22:47 AM »
I'm mid-enjoyment of the piece, but found a word, that was the impetus for a conversation 'twixt wife and my own self last night:

when did "tiredness" replace "fatigue" in our lexicon?
Coming in August 2023
~Manakiki
~OSU Scarlet
~OSU Grey
~NCR South
~Springfield
~Columbus
~Lake Forest (OH)
~Sleepy Hollow (OH)

Andy Shulman

« Reply #14 on: March 18, 2023, 04:47:14 PM »
Just bumping this thread as I played Kahuku this morning. Super fun course. Many have sung its praises, but a few have panned lts conditioning or fantasized what a big name architect could turn it into. It's pretty darn good just the way it is - see the profile for the details - and I thought to myself that if we plopped the course down in Scotland or Ireland, we'd collectively be singing its praises as a top nine-holer.
« Last Edit: March 18, 2023, 05:22:18 PM by Andy Shulman »

Rob Nydick

« Reply #15 on: March 19, 2023, 11:17:42 AM »
I make an effort to play Kahuku whenever I'm on Oahu, and couldn't agree more.  It's fun to think about the potential, but part of the experience is it's simplicity and our willingness to enjoy and accept it for what it is.  I put Hay Harbor club in the same category.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back