News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

John Kavanaugh

I have watched just around 3000 hrs of westerns in the last month and am amazed of the odd strategy used by the American Indian during battle. It reminds me of how stupidly most people play a game on perfectly mown grass with a stationary ball sometimes placed onto a tee. Which begs the question, if you could go back and unite the Indian Nation into one cohesive fighting force do you believe you could win the war?

What strategic steps or changes would you make based on what you have learned from the movies?

John Kavanaugh

Re: If you knew then what you know now. The value of strategy.
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2020, 04:56:53 PM »
A couple of ideas:

1. Sneak attack at night. The rebel yell didn't work out so well for the South either.

2. When the wagons are circled don't ride your horse in circles as fast as possible while randomly shooting. How many times do you miss and shoot a fellow Indian on the other side.

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2020, 05:06:26 PM »
How does this relate to golf:

1. Look back on the value of going for par fives in two. I would guess I have made 100 X's for every eagle for every time I have pulled a 3 wood looking for a miracle. 

2. Have you ever taken a peak at a trophy before the tournament is over. Sneak up on a victory.

Philip Gordillo

« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2020, 05:36:21 PM »
Not from a movie but I love this quote because it applies to all aspects of life including golf.  Just substitute "course" or "match play opponent" for enemy.

"If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle."

Sun Tzu, The Art of War

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2020, 05:56:44 PM »
In both golf and battle I see real value in wearing pants. I don’t think in the history of the world that no pants ever defeated pants.

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2020, 06:48:25 PM »
I’m reminded of the famous story of how John Wooden would teach his players how to tie their shoes. Who is the greatest most unkept golfer. Dufner? Has he won since he got behind Dude Wipes?

Pete_Pittock

« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2020, 06:55:24 PM »
I’m reminded of the famous story of how John Wooden would teach his players how to tie their shoes. Who is the greatest most unkept golfer. Dufner? Has he won since he got behind Dude Wipes?

Right know it is a tie amongst all 10,000,000 golfers in exile.

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #7 on: April 18, 2020, 06:59:38 PM »
Yea, for the first time in my life I have been going out in public when necessary with my shirt untucked. I wouldn’t want to be mistaken for someone on the way to golf.

I bet Tiger’s Sunday image was worth a victory or two.

Pete_Pittock

« Reply #8 on: April 18, 2020, 07:11:19 PM »
pick Sitting Bull, Geronimo or Black Jack, no Montgomery or McClellan. When aiming for a cavalryman, shoot the horse instead. Cut supply lines. If offered a treaty, insist upon President or VP Protect your women and children., Sand Crane is just important as Sand Hills. Don't accept whiskey or blankets. Rifles are usually better than bow and arrow. Keep a strategic reserve of buffalo in case you need a stampede. Instead of wintering in the upper Great Plains or Rockies, choose Arizona. Or Florida, the Seminoles held out.
Reservations are a bad idea.

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #9 on: April 18, 2020, 07:16:45 PM »
Do you think they could have built a coalition with the countries whose people we were exploiting? Would it have been possible to bring in Asia and Africa or was Mexico a more logical choice. A really bad version of the Alamo is on.

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #10 on: April 18, 2020, 07:23:01 PM »
I can't tell you how many calcuttas I won because I had built a strong coalition with the head pro. He always owned a piece of my team.

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #11 on: April 18, 2020, 07:28:19 PM »
Watching The Man from the Alamo. At least the third time this month...God awful.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Man_from_the_Alamo

I hate to think the number of animals that died unnecessarily during filming.

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #12 on: April 18, 2020, 07:35:11 PM »
This is interesting. On a side note: I thought Santa Anita was one of the best public courses I ever played.

https://truewestmagazine.com/how-many-horses-have-been-injured-during-filming-of-hollywood-westerns/

Kalen Braley

« Reply #13 on: April 18, 2020, 09:58:59 PM »
Fascinating topic John,

Nothing to add on the Westerns side, not my thing.

But on the golf side, as a highcapper, I was often the one getting 2, 3, even 5 strokes or more per round.  I found the easiest holes to win were often the hardest ones on the course.  Opponent tries for miracle shots, but I would play conservative, get a relatively easy bogey, net par, and won the hole far more often than I lost.

Gib_Papazian

« Reply #14 on: April 25, 2020, 08:36:09 PM »
What have I learned from movies?

Don't get cocky.

And NEVER stand on the tee and say "This hole is pretty easy."

Johnny Ringo was expecting Wyatt Earp  - and Doc Holliday showed up instead.

Every time I stand on the 13th tee at Spanish Bay, I hear the trees whispering, "I'm your huckleberry" . . . . 

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back