News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Jon Sweet

Re:Cheating (yes, I know the rules don't mention it)
« Reply #100 on: February 28, 2024, 05:03:45 PM »
Yup, on the 15th hole while my partner and I were 2 up on the back and 3 up on the 18. One oppponent, who's ball was on the green walked up to his ball while the other three of us searched for a ball. I saw him move his coin closer to the hole while he picked the ball up. Using a beCu Ping putter he appeared to tap down a ball mark up near the hole, but in actuallity he slid a penny off the back of the copper colored putter. I called him on it immediately. I told him what he had done, that he was a cheater, all bets were off and I would never play golf with him again.
My partner was a little peeved that I had given up the money we were sure of winning. Oh well.
You are welcome to win all the money I wager, but don't dare try and cheat me out of it.
Liars, cheats and thieves-slime.
I've been called a rules cop many times, however I never took offense considering who was calling me it.
Nobody I know would play poker without the rules, why do some feel golf is exempt?
Big difference between a guy moving a ball closer to the hole intentionally and simply being ignorant of an obscure rule.  If you are nitpicking it to death I think I would see someone's frustrations.  However, if you set expecatations prior such as ball in hand in your own fairway or play them down, then it is reasonable.  JMO

cary lichtenstein

Re: Cheating (yes, I know the rules don't mention it)
« Reply #101 on: February 28, 2024, 09:31:33 PM »
in the 80's, i used to play with a group for alot of money, everyone except me loaded their handicaps, not me, we played a scotch game which favored the low handicap, I was the low handicap, I won 7 out of 10 times because the way the scotch game was constructed, it favored the low handicap.

I'll never forget on the 8th hole at Doral CC, I was standing behind my opponet and he was in a sandtrap and he threw the ball out with his right hand. that was 40 years ago and I still see it.

Live Jupiter, Fl, was  4 handicap, played top 100 US, top 75 World. Great memories, no longer play, 4 back surgeries. I don't miss a lot of things about golf, life is simpler with out it. I miss my 60 degree wedge shots, don't miss nasty weather, icing, back spasms. Last course I played was Augusta

Daryl David

« Reply #102 on: February 28, 2024, 11:01:40 PM »
in the 80's, i used to play with a group for alot of money, everyone except me loaded their handicaps, not me, we played a scotch game which favored the low handicap, I was the low handicap, I won 7 out of 10 times because the way the scotch game was constructed, it favored the low handicap.

I'll never forget on the 8th hole at Doral CC, I was standing behind my opponet and he was in a sandtrap and he threw the ball out with his right hand. that was 40 years ago and I still see it.

Ah, the old hand wedge out of a bunker. Only works when the bunkers are very deep and you can’t see the player. Bonus points for the guy that throws sand with the shot.  ;D

David Cronan

« Reply #103 on: February 29, 2024, 08:54:35 AM »
At the 91 Ryder Cup there was a dust-up in the foursomes match of Ballesteros/Olazabel and Beck/Azinger match. On the front 9, the American team switched out balls with different compressions, on 3(?) tees. The Spaniards called them out and initially, Azinger completely denied this ever happened, out of fear that they would lose the hole. He was adamant that it never happened......until the rules officiating that match informed the players that a penalty would not be issued because it has to occur at the time said infraction takes place. After hearing this, Azinger then miraculously recovered his memory, and admitted the infraction.

During the arguments, Azinger was indignant and asked Ballesteros if he was accusing him of being a cheater. Ballesteros responded, "No...no....there is a difference between cheating and breaking the rules."

That's was the perfect response.

Of course, later in an interview, he stated that he believed Azinger was lying about Azinger's "memory lapse."

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back