News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

David_Tepper

Westlake Golf Course
« on: February 12, 2020, 12:42:55 PM »
"Yard for yard, I don’t think another course has had a larger impact on today’s game."

https://www.pgatour.com/news/2020/02/11/westlake-golf-course-matthew-wolff-george-gankas-chris-como.html

Tim Leahy

Re: Westlake Golf Course
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2020, 05:56:12 AM »
Westlake was one of the most claustrophobic courses I have ever played. 18 holes packed next to the freeway on land for a nine hole. Trees sometimes stop wild shots. Play only with a hardhat if you value your health.
I love golf, the fightin irish, and beautiful women depending on the season and availability.

Jason Topp

« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2020, 08:46:11 AM »
I do love the atmosphere shown in some of those Youtube videos with kids wandering in and out of camera range. They clearly feel comfortable and welcome. 

Pete_Pittock

« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2020, 05:26:48 PM »
There was a thread within the last month wondering about these type of facilities and the future of golf. Don't know why this wasn't listed.   I dare you to look at the scorecards for the front and back nines, then go to google maps or something, look at the course and start scratching your head.

jeffwarne

Re: Westlake Golf Course New
« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2020, 07:11:31 PM »
I haven't played the course, but I have walked across it many times en route to my hotel.
Very nice area, and the kind've area that makes me wonder why California gets such a bad rap.(fires aside-which were rampant just before the times I was there)
A bit unusual to buy your range balls before your lesson.

I've spent a good bit of time with George Gankas there working on my game and interviewing him several times on my show.
Very fun place, friendly people and a hotbed of jr . golf talent working with George and the other pros there.
They've had to go to restricted flight balls from all his kids launching balls into the freeway 300 plus yards away.
I could've been using a ProV1...

I spent a bit of time in the area and rotated between there, Soule Park and Rustic Canyon-all very friendly and high quality golf.
I would definitely return to the area.(a large geographic area)
« Last Edit: November 23, 2020, 10:40:38 PM by jeffwarne »
"Let's slow the damned greens down a bit, not take the character out of them." Tom Doak
"Take their focus off the grass and put it squarely on interesting golf." Don Mahaffey

Forrest Richardson

« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2020, 07:40:43 PM »
I've been to Westlake and thought it was an interesting "In between" course in terms of yardage. Ted Robinson, Sr. was never afraid of "alternative" length courses, and he saw no need to reach any particular yardage. It's a fun course with a robust following. I hit balls at the range with my daughter and some friends just two weeks ago. We waited 30 minutes to get a spot on the artificial pad tee area — it was packed with no shortage of players. There was also a mobile club repair trailer there, and that speaks volumes on the interest in the course and facility.

Is it the greatest design or maintained course in the area? No. Is it popular, and does it serve a need? Yes. Could it be better? Of course. It's tired and I do not think much has been put back into it. Perhaps some infrastructure and areas of turf removal. Mr, Robinson built solid courses, and they have lasted many years.

When we did Olivas Links and Buenaventura I had eight local courses to visit and "compete" with, at least in my my client's eyes. Westlake was one and I recall my client saying, "It's simple and people like it...so, go see it even if it doesn't seem special." I appreciated that advice.
« Last Edit: September 24, 2020, 07:46:12 PM by Forrest Richardson »
— Forrest Richardson, Golf Course Architect/ASGCA
    www.golfgroupltd.com
    www.golframes.com

AChao

« Reply #6 on: November 23, 2020, 04:50:35 AM »
Hard to find a course like that on decent land in a decent neighborhood these days.

Jeff Schley

« Reply #7 on: November 23, 2020, 09:59:08 AM »
Wow almost forgot about Westlake, it was a very economical use of land for sure. The driving range is big and was packed the maybe half dozen times I played there. Pretty nice place to live Westlake Village.
"To give anything less than your best, is to sacrifice your gifts."
- Steve Prefontaine

Ronald Montesano

« Reply #8 on: November 23, 2020, 03:44:11 PM »
If I had five years guaranteed, I would teach at The Thacher School and tumble out of the hills to Soule, West, and Rustic for golf.
Coming in August 2023
~Manakiki
~OSU Scarlet
~OSU Grey
~NCR South
~Springfield
~Columbus
~Lake Forest (OH)
~Sleepy Hollow (OH)

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back