News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Tommy Williamsen

Re: Half par holes
« Reply #25 on: November 23, 2020, 06:03:37 PM »
It has been a long time, maybe 25 years, since I played Point O Woods. I seem to remember two consecutive holes of very similar length that ran parallel to each other. One was a par four and one was a par five. I thought it was two and three but looking at a new scorecard they are both par fives. 12 and 13 could be the ones but the length doesn't match. Anyone can set me straight?
Where there is no love, put love; there you will find love.
St. John of the Cross

"Deep within your soul-space is a magnificent cathedral where you are sweet beyond telling." Rumi

Mike Nuzzo

« Reply #26 on: November 23, 2020, 08:17:23 PM »
We built a bunch of these at Memorial Park . . .
13 is a very short 4
14 a very long 4
16 a reachable 5
17 a drivable par-4, if they'd moved the tee up  >:(
18 a very hard 4.

Houston Open scoring average on Sunday for the following:
#3 = 4.5 (5 on scorecard)
#13 = 3.5 (4 on scorecard)
#18 = 4.0

Highest 4 round scoring averages:
#1 = 4.3 (4 for pros, 5 for mortals)
#14 = 4.3 (4 for pros, 5 for mortals)

A half par hole is one that has a scoring average 1/2 a stroke above or below par. Large opportunity to gain on the field.
« Last Edit: November 23, 2020, 08:20:01 PM by Mike Nuzzo »
Thinking of Bob, Rihc, Bill, George, Neil & Tiger.

Tom_Doak

« Reply #27 on: November 23, 2020, 09:31:25 PM »

A half par hole is one that has a scoring average 1/2 a stroke above or below par. Large opportunity to gain on the field.

When we were doing the planning for PGA West, after Mr. Dye had described his ideal finish for me, I asked, are you looking for holes where you could have a two- or three-shot swing on the leaderboard in one hole?  And he said, yes, that's exactly what I want.  On half-par holes, ideally, you could make birdie (or eagle), and bogey (or double).

On the 13th at Memorial, nobody made two as far as I know, but there were also some big big numbers.  I happened to catch Brooks Koepka there both days, and he played the hole perfectly.  On Saturday, with the pin back right, he hit driver pin high and made sure to miss it right, and then hit the most beautiful little wedge shot high up the bank to two feet.  On Sunday, with the pin down toward the front, after some hestiation he pulled 3-wood, hit it fifteen yards short of the green right in front, and two-putted from there.
« Last Edit: November 23, 2020, 09:33:31 PM by Tom_Doak »

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back