News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Michael Whitaker

Re: UK GCA Knock-Out 2020 - Draw at Reply 28
« Reply #125 on: October 29, 2020, 04:49:04 PM »
"Solving the paradox of proportionality is the heart of golf architecture."  - Tom Doak (11/20/05)

Niall C

« Reply #126 on: October 31, 2020, 07:58:43 AM »
It looks like Ari and I will need to get our finger out  :-[

Niall

James Reader

« Reply #127 on: October 31, 2020, 08:37:49 AM »
James and I played our match today at Blackwell.  Unfortunately after spending 45 minutes on a good write up of the match and course, my iPad crashed  :'(   Hopefully I’ll get time to redo it some other time, but please excuse the brevity for now.

James got off to a fast start holing a long putt on the 1st for birdie and never looked back, continuing a superb putting display all the way to the end; the killer blow came on the 16th.  Each time I clawed one back, James regained the momentum on the next hole.  A very worthy winner, congratulations James.

The course itself was superb.  It was very quiet and almost like stepping back in time. The highlights were the ribbon bunker on the 12th and the green complexes throughout, but particularly on the 18th.

All in all a superb day and great company.  The GCA knockouts have been the highlight of my golfing year in many ways, with the ability to geek out over great golf courses that I simply can’t with my regular fourball.  Thank you for letting me enter and for the joy this little corner of the internet brings.

Good luck in the final, James, whenever that may be!

Thanks for a thoroughly enjoyable day Adam - I fear it may be the last for a while the way things are going in England! 

As you say, Blackwell was great. Another course i might not have seen if it weren’t for GCA.  There’s some really good work being done on the bunker renovation (I’m still thinking about the fairway bunkering on the 10th - never seen anything quite like it) and I will definitely aim to go back there in a few years’ time to see the finished result; perhaps for a rematch in the GCA Knock-Out 2024!

Adam Uttley

« Reply #128 on: February 15, 2022, 04:11:24 PM »
I’m not sure that the final of this ever got played.  Now that we are getting into hopefully more stable times, I wondered whether now was a good time to resurrect and commence a 2022 version (or conclude the 2020 iteration?)

James Reader

« Reply #129 on: February 16, 2022, 02:27:26 AM »
I’m pretty sure Michael’s last post is where things finished for 2020, Adam.  Things never really got going in the Northern section amidst all the lock downs.

I’m definitely up for a 2022 version.

Mark Pearce

« Reply #130 on: February 16, 2022, 08:51:01 AM »
A 2022 version sounds great.  Can those wanting to enter post here before, say, 14 March and we can get the ball rolling.
In June I will be riding the first three stages of this year's Tour de France route for charity.  630km (394 miles) in three days, with 7800m (25,600 feet) of climbing for the William Wates Memorial Trust (https://rideleloop.org/the-charity/) which supports underprivileged young people.

Tony_Muldoon

« Reply #131 on: February 16, 2022, 10:00:22 AM »
Yes please, good excuse to catch up with a few folk.   (Cue: Exit, round 1, stage left)
Let's make GCA grate again!

Niall C

« Reply #132 on: February 16, 2022, 11:19:37 AM »
Re 2020 Comp - if you notice the only game actually played in the northern section of the 2020 comp was between Ian G and David Mc which Ian won. Ari and I never managed to organise our game and David J progressed via a couple of forfeits. Given Ari and I didn't manage to get out of the blocks I suspect he would agree with me that we should basically stand aside to let Ian play David for the right to play James in the final.

Ian and David live almost in the same postcode so should be able to organise a game fairly readily if they are minded and then the winner could play James who I suspect is currently spending more time up north than down south so hopefully organising the final should be readily doable. With a couple of games we could finally reach a conclusion. Does that sound like a plan ?

With regards the 2022 comp I'm up for it and suspect a few others will as well, but given that there might yet be mileage left in the 2020 comp perhaps we should start another thread now so as not to clog up this one ?

Niall

Ian Galbraith

« Reply #133 on: February 16, 2022, 01:11:17 PM »
I'm happy with Niall's suggestion if David and James want to tidy up the 2020 incarnation.

Equally, we could just forget 2020 happened altogether, and move straight on to the 2022  version.

Niall C

« Reply #134 on: February 16, 2022, 02:48:06 PM »
Ian

We could run both in tandem.

Niall

Michael Whitaker

« Reply #135 on: February 16, 2022, 03:35:32 PM »
Mark - I'd like to participate as I'm going be in country late May until late Sept. If those dates work for me to be a participant, then please include me. If it would be cutting things too fine, then leave me out. No worries.
"Solving the paradox of proportionality is the heart of golf architecture."  - Tom Doak (11/20/05)

David Jones

« Reply #136 on: February 16, 2022, 03:49:28 PM »
Ian

Niall

My 2020 run to the Northern Final was a source of some embarrassment having not played a match, but let's try and have a game Ian as the Southern Champion is available next month I believe! Will be in touch

James Reader

« Reply #137 on: February 16, 2022, 04:17:33 PM »
Ian

Niall

My 2020 run to the Northern Final was a source of some embarrassment having not played a match, but let's try and have a game Ian as the Southern Champion is available next month I believe! Will be in touch

What about trying to find a date for the three of us to play together?  We could play three matches concurrently with my result against the winner of you two deciding the overall winner. 

David Jones

« Reply #138 on: February 16, 2022, 04:34:59 PM »
Ian

Niall

What about trying to find a date for the three of us to play together?  We could play three matches concurrently with my result against the winner of you two deciding the overall winner.

Ian and I have already sorted ourselves out for early March at Archerfield so one of us will be ready and waiting for your trip up later in the month. If it's me though I'm not taking you on at TOC after your recent performance....

James Reader

« Reply #139 on: February 16, 2022, 05:31:04 PM »
Ian

Niall

Ian and I have already sorted ourselves out for early March at Archerfield so one of us will be ready and waiting for your trip up later in the month. If it's me though I'm not taking you on at TOC after your recent performance....

I can assure you, that was a one-off!

Ian Galbraith

« Reply #140 on: March 03, 2022, 11:08:18 AM »
So after a very lengthy hiatus, competitive golf resumed in the cosseted environs of Archerfield earlier today. We began play on the Dirleton course in an un-forecast and frankly very damp shower. However the golf obsessive chat and the underlying joy of not being behind a desk on a Thursday morning soon saw us through the first few holes after which the rain frittered away.

I won't subject anyone to a blow by blow account, suffice to say that (i) there were very, very few halved holes (ii) you should always check the ball you are about to hit is really yours! (iii) there are some subtle breaks for the unwary on the Dirleton greens that can make you (me) look very foolish (iv) Even when you lose, if the company is good you can still have a very nice time.  :)

You'll ascertain from the above that David won 3 and 2 despite my best efforts - well done and thanks again for your hospitality David.   

Tim Gallant

« Reply #141 on: March 03, 2022, 12:36:33 PM »
So after a very lengthy hiatus, competitive golf resumed in the cosseted environs of Archerfield earlier today. We began play on the Dirleton course in an un-forecast and frankly very damp shower. However the golf obsessive chat and the underlying joy of not being behind a desk on a Thursday morning soon saw us through the first few holes after which the rain frittered away.

I won't subject anyone to a blow by blow account, suffice to say that (i) there were very, very few halved holes (ii) you should always check the ball you are about to hit is really yours! (iii) there are some subtle breaks for the unwary on the Dirleton greens that can make you (me) look very foolish (iv) Even when you lose, if the company is good you can still have a very nice time.  :)

You'll ascertain from the above that David won 3 and 2 despite my best efforts - well done and thanks again for your hospitality David.

Ian,

I very much appreciate you saving your best golf for the Regwin. I have no doubt that we will have a successful run into the second round this year :)

James Reader

« Reply #142 on: March 03, 2022, 02:25:06 PM »
Looks like it’s David and me in the final then.

David, I’m going to be up for the best part of three weeks from the 20th so hopefully we can get the 2020 version completed not much more than 15 months late!  Do you have any thoughts on a venue?

David Jones

« Reply #143 on: March 03, 2022, 03:17:01 PM »
Thanks for the game Ian. Great company and my home advantage definitely helped. Really good to catch up.

James, will be in touch for this North versus South final on a suitable neutral venue. Will be nice to put 2020 firmly behind us in style!!

Niall C

« Reply #144 on: March 04, 2022, 05:14:22 AM »
Well done David and hard luck Ian. Let us know the date and venue for the final as some of us might want to gatecrash the event !

Niall

James Reader

« Reply #145 on: March 04, 2022, 12:58:59 PM »
David and I are planning to play the final at Dunbar on either Monday 4th or Tuesday 5th April.  If anyone would like to join us, it would be great to have you there, but please let me know by Monday so that we can get a tee time booked.

Niall C

« Reply #146 on: March 06, 2022, 02:52:38 PM »
Unfortunately I can't join you but good luck to both of you.

Niall

Duncan Cheslett

« Reply #147 on: March 10, 2022, 01:30:58 PM »
Niall,

What’s the deadline for playing the first round matches? Sean and I are hoping to play our game at Whittington Heath but the new holes don’t open until Easter weekend. Realistically we wouldn’t be able to play it until end of April/early May. Does that work?

Incidentally, I’ve wangled a half price fourball at Whittington Heath if anyone fancies joining us and seeing the reworked course forced by the routing of HS2.

PM me…
« Last Edit: March 10, 2022, 01:35:44 PM by Duncan Cheslett »

Garland Bayley

« Reply #148 on: March 10, 2022, 10:16:02 PM »
Duncan,

Look up the thread on the 2022 match play. Seems that is what you are referring to.
"I enjoy a course where the challenges are contained WITHIN it, and recovery is part of the game  not a course where the challenge is to stay ON it." Jeff Warne

David Jones

« Reply #149 on: April 04, 2022, 05:18:12 PM »
With the ink recording James Reader's name as 2019 champion still drying in the record books, who's in for 2020?

A mere 794 days after entries opened the 2020 UK GCA Knockout was concluded at Dunbar, on the East Lothian coast.

East Lothian has been pretty dry for some weeks now and there was at least a couple of clubs in the wind which meant it was very much a game of two halves. With the wind behind on the way out, James and I were knocking it close to par 4s from the tee and feeling like the ball was on a piece of string.

As we turned back into the wind, and with an incoming tide on the right hand side of the course, the test became far sterner. That ensured that class and quality prevailed and my small lead quickly evaporated!

James played some wonderful long approaches into the heart of the green as the wind strengthened and he closed out the match 2 and 1 with a wonderful birdie at the 17th.

James' defence of his title was impressive and if he wins the 2022 competition to complete the hat-trick he presumably gets to keep the (virtual?) trophy.

Dunbar was a pleasure to play. I think it often gets overlooked when discussing East Lothian venues given it's a little to the east of the Gullane/North Berwick courses. The course is pretty tightly packed into the land between the old deer park wall and the Firth of Forth but there is plenty to keep you entertained all the way round. It's a nice time of year to play it as well as the rough isn't too high and the only ball lost between us was one of mine that sailed onto the rocks!

Thanks to Michael for keeping the draw live over the last 2+ years, congratulations to James on his victory and good luck to those giving it a go in 2022.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back