News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Garland Bayley

Re: UK GCA Knock-Out 2020 - Draw at Reply 28
« Reply #100 on: July 21, 2020, 02:43:57 PM »
After a couple of false starts and a late venue change, Adam Uttley v Sam Krume and Tony Muldoon v myself shall take place on Friday 24th July over the Duchess Course at Woburn. If we were more organised we could immediately play the second round too, but we have a pm tee time to keep the green fee down.

Crikey Robin!

You have picked one of the tightest golf courses that you can play in the UK!! Sounds like the straightest hitter will prevail

Cheers
Ben

Note to self...

... the next time I’m drawn against Ben insist on playing the match at Woburn on the Duchess!

🤣

Happy to take you on the Duchess anytime and one of my favourites member courses to play is Kings Lynn which is really tight. Both courses need to shape the tee shots well and the ball can be found in the trees no problem. ;D [size=78%] [/size]

My experience with Ben suggests playing him on a links without livestock when the rough is up. He can't find his ball easily in the rough as he claims he can in the trees.
"I enjoy a course where the challenges are contained WITHIN it, and recovery is part of the game  not a course where the challenge is to stay ON it." Jeff Warne

Ben Stephens

« Reply #101 on: July 21, 2020, 04:31:02 PM »
After a couple of false starts and a late venue change, Adam Uttley v Sam Krume and Tony Muldoon v myself shall take place on Friday 24th July over the Duchess Course at Woburn. If we were more organised we could immediately play the second round too, but we have a pm tee time to keep the green fee down.

Crikey Robin!

You have picked one of the tightest golf courses that you can play in the UK!! Sounds like the straightest hitter will prevail

Cheers
Ben

Note to self...

... the next time I’m drawn against Ben insist on playing the match at Woburn on the Duchess!

🤣

Happy to take you on the Duchess anytime and one of my favourites member courses to play is Kings Lynn which is really tight. Both courses need to shape the tee shots well and the ball can be found in the trees no problem. ;D

My experience with Ben suggests playing him on a links without livestock when the rough is up. He can't find his ball easily in the rough as he claims he can in the trees.

Garland,

Well I can still find the ball some of the times and can play out of the thick rough which is a skill that most can't play out of. Ironically my driver and 4 wood is quite straight at the moment its the irons that have gone a bit awry. Trouble is I need to play a lot more golf.

I guess I prefer bad lies than good ones which doesn't put me off.  ;D

Cheers
Ben

Ben Stephens

« Reply #102 on: July 21, 2020, 04:32:10 PM »
Ross designed it all - the rest was politics and promotion.

Like a few other EGD courses in the past. Not now which is good to see the actual designers getting more credit for the work.

Robin_Hiseman

« Reply #103 on: July 25, 2020, 06:47:44 AM »
And so the double-headed feast of golf featuring the long delayed Muldoon v Hiseman and Uttley v Krume matches descended upon the lush meadows of Woburn Golf Club. The car park was full to capacity, leading us to expect a healthy gallery for our eagerly awaited games. Strangely, there was nobody there as we arrived at the 1st tee of the Duchess Course. I guess they were expecting us to be playing the Marquess.

No matter, we teed off and immediately familiarised ourselves with the sonerous tone of golf ball meeting distant tree trunk. I think it was an F flat. Tree huggers love the Duchess Course, as you're rarely more than a bangled arms length from one (or several thousand). Over the course of 4 hours there were more ricochets than in the Dublin phone book.

The Hiseman/ Muldoon match was a closely fought contest, with never more than 2 holes in it. Four of Tony's five shots came in a tight six hole sequence between the 9th and 14th and he used these to good effect to peg back my 2-hole lead. It was a pretty scrappy affair to be honest, with more holes won through opponent errors than sparkling play. But, credit where it is due, Tony played the demanding 18th hole like a pro to tie the match and when I missed a short putt for a 3 on the first extra hole, the axe fell, sadly not on the ridiculous tree that blights the 17th hole.

The Uttley / Krume encounter was somewhat less of a contest, with Adam making full use of home advantage to hand Sam what I believe was a dog licence, which is poetic irony given that Sam is a professional dog groomer. Let's hope he doesn't take it out on the next pooch to face his shears.

I don't think any of us took photos, but all you need to know is that the course is heavily tree-lined...everywhere. It is undoubtedly very pretty and was in fantastic condition. There are several very interesting, multi-level green surfaces, which lead to some testing putts from above the hole. I liked the 1st immediately, which on reflection is probably the most attractive hole. I struggle to pick out individual holes thereafter, but apart from a couple of bland par 3's it was an engaging course, if not wholly memorable. The par 5's were strong, with well-placed bunkers challenging the green approaches from afar.

Adam and Tony head off to round 2, Sam to take out his frustration on innocent dogs and myself to deal with nightmares of Craig Stadler on the 18th green at The Belfry.

2024: Royal St. David's; Mill Ride; Milford; Jameson Links, Druids Glen, Royal Dublin, Portmarnock, Old Head, Addington, Parkstone

Michael Whitaker

« Reply #104 on: July 25, 2020, 06:21:25 PM »
"Solving the paradox of proportionality is the heart of golf architecture."  - Tom Doak (11/20/05)

David McIntosh

« Reply #105 on: August 02, 2020, 06:19:57 PM »
Ian and I had a nice day for our match at Newbattle on the outskirts of Edinburgh yesterday afternoon.

In a match of few halved holes, Ian played very solidly, including an exceptional birdie on the long par 4 6th, and raced into a commanding lead after nine holes. We traded holes throughout the back nine until Ian closed out the tie with a fine par on the 16th hole for a deserved victory.

A Harry Colt design from 1934, Newbattle is one of his few Scottish courses. The opening and last two holes are laid out on the west side of the River Esk. Across the river, holes 3-16 have a parkland estate feel and contain a bit of elevation change but little by way of undulating terrain. Holes 3-9 and 16 hug the perimeter of the site with the rest playing in the middle section. Almost all of the greens have front flanking bunkers on both sides (felt a bit repetitive) which were nicely shaped but could do with a little TLC. No massive contours on the greens but they contained enough subtle features to keep them interesting. Overall, a solid enough course without scaling any real heights but we had a pleasant day out and I was glad to see the place.

Good luck to Ian in the next round against either Ari or Niall.
« Last Edit: August 02, 2020, 06:29:50 PM by David McIntosh »

Ian Galbraith

« Reply #106 on: August 03, 2020, 05:31:59 AM »
Ian and I had a nice day for our match at Newbattle on the outskirts of Edinburgh yesterday afternoon.

Yes - any day playing golf in shorts in Scotland is a good one and it was good to catch up with David. As he mentioned the routing is probably the most interesting thing about Newbattle. The piece of land is a funny shape on two sides of a river and Colt has done a good job of finding a varied sequence that works.

Michael Whitaker

« Reply #107 on: August 03, 2020, 12:41:32 PM »
"Solving the paradox of proportionality is the heart of golf architecture."  - Tom Doak (11/20/05)

Duncan Cheslett

« Reply #108 on: August 08, 2020, 03:17:25 AM »
James Reader and I have arranged to play our quarter-final match on Tuesday evening at Bury GC.

Here is a course review I posted last year.

https://www.golfclubatlas.com/forum/index.php/topic,67698

« Last Edit: August 08, 2020, 03:20:50 AM by Duncan Cheslett »

Duncan Cheslett

« Reply #109 on: August 16, 2020, 01:39:42 AM »
I was treated to a James Reader masterclass at Bury this week when he bagged 3 or 4 birdies (I lost count!) on the tougher front nine.

I managed to hang on though, and just missed a 4’ birdie putt of my own on the 18th to win the hole and half the match in front of a boisterous audience!

Well done James, and good luck in the semi final!
« Last Edit: August 16, 2020, 01:42:59 AM by Duncan Cheslett »

James Reader

« Reply #110 on: August 16, 2020, 06:19:12 AM »
Thanks for a great game Duncan. It was only 3 birdies (missed that 2 footer on the 9th for a 4th), but my game returned to normal for the back nine and a tie would have been a fair result in the end.  Although If you’d holed that final putt we might have had an argument with the spectators about whether or not you should have been penalised for touching the flag!

Really enjoyed Bury - and I can recommend both the course and your photo tour to anyone that hasn’t seen them.  It was good to hear that the club is starting to look at options to recover some of the Mackenzie features that have been lost (or, in many cases, simply masked by trees) over the years, but there’s already a lot there to like.

Michael Whitaker

« Reply #111 on: August 16, 2020, 12:51:06 PM »

James Boon

« Reply #112 on: August 21, 2020, 07:43:53 AM »
I was treated to a James Reader masterclass at Bury this week when he bagged 3 or 4 birdies (I lost count!) on the tougher front nine.

I managed to hang on though, and just missed a 4’ birdie putt of my own on the 18th to win the hole and half the match in front of a boisterous audience!

Well done James, and good luck in the semi final!

Indeed, well played James, as I know how tough it is to get past Duncan! Though I cant believe he is decrying your 3 birdies when he himself managed 3 or 4 birdies to get past me in the previous round!  ;)

Cheers, James
2023 Highlights: Hollinwell (Notts), Brora, Aberdovey, Royal St Davids, Woodhall Spa, Broadstone, Parkstone, Cleeve, Painswick, Minchinhampton, Hoylake

"It celebrates the unadulterated pleasure of being in a dialogue with nature while knocking a ball round on foot." Richard Pennell

Duncan Cheslett

« Reply #113 on: August 21, 2020, 03:07:46 PM »

Indeed, well played James, as I know how tough it is to get past Duncan! Though I cant believe he is decrying your 3 birdies when he himself managed 3 or 4 birdies to get past me in the previous round!  ;)

Annoying, isn't it?   ;D

Tony_Muldoon

« Reply #114 on: September 09, 2020, 05:57:10 PM »
Adam and I faced off at Stanmore Golf Club.  Adam suggested it as a neutral venue and we were both most impressed with the lively club and the Course which dates just after WWW1 laid out by Dr MacKenzie.  The holes in front of the Clubhouse look flat but after a revised shortened first (great green)  the good Doctor heads for the hill ‘Belmont’ and in repeated visits to the the south west corner of the property, there are 6 greens. Familiar economical routing making the most of the limited feature .  On paper the course stretches to 6025 yards Par 69, SSS 70. But with only 2 par 5’s and many raised greens there’s plenty of hitting to be done.  And what greens.  Slopes, rises, false fronts, fall offs  are all beautifully realised. Even if a couple of them definitely play from a new direction (1&4), they seem to be original. The Par 3’s are an excellent group with the pick perhaps the  8th -  From the tee it looks like its half false front but this part feeds towards the right hand bunker. Perhaps flying it to the rear is the way to play it. The 17th is longer and looks similar but this time the play is to run it up without running through the green, which slopes down after the middle. Oddly the most extreme greens were all in the first half but they were a great set.

The Course is a little choked by trees and some of the mowing lines have shrunk leaving bunkers stranded. But fine turf grown on a sandy soil means this is worth a repeat visit.

Adam put played beautifully and I could but smile at his 3 birdies in the first 6 holes (two from off the green). The match finished at the 15th when he was 5 up!!!! Good luck to anyone playing him in such form.
Let's make GCA grate again!

Adam Uttley

« Reply #115 on: September 09, 2020, 06:52:12 PM »
It was one of those extremely rare days when I managed to play well AND got lucky, with good bounces and great lies aplenty.  Despite all my fortune, and me suggesting the white tees, Tony played himself and kept me to 2up at the turn - it would have been a very close match on any other day.

As Tony says, Stanmore was a joy to play, with the green complexes the star of the show, due to both their contour and their firmness.  I particularly enjoyed the run of holes from 7-9.  The seventh was a short par 4 with a severely elevated tee.  It seemed simple enough and tempts the golfer to drive as close to the green as possible, but angle is much more important.  To the front pin of the day, you really needed to run it in between the bunkers, not chip over them, onto a green that runs away.  Next up was the superb par 3 that Tony described, which I shall not repeat, safe to say I attempted flying it to the rear and 3 shots later was still not on the green.  The fact that neither of us yet know how to play the whole is great testament.  Finally, the 9th was an excellent dog-leg left that required a drive over a bunker on the left side of the fairway to get and angle into a very well-guarded green.  We both spent quite some time figuring out how to play our approaches, which made for great golf.

All in all Stanmore is a wonderful, strategic test of golf.  It certainly could do with a few trees felled, particularly in the area 30-50yds from the tee, which may punish high handicappers and slow down play, but otherwise just spoiled good views.  Yet this is quickly forgiven due to such a great set of greens.  Stanmore is well worth the trip and appears to be a thriving club, which is great to see.

Michael Whitaker

« Reply #116 on: September 10, 2020, 05:03:53 PM »

Adam Uttley

« Reply #117 on: September 28, 2020, 11:39:13 AM »
James and I have agreed to play our match at Blackwell on Sunday 25th October.  We have a tee time booked for 12 noon and hopefully we both remember on the day that the clocks have gone back.

If anyone would like to join us, you’d be more than welcome.

Adam Uttley

« Reply #118 on: October 25, 2020, 03:05:49 PM »
James and I played our match today at Blackwell.  Unfortunately after spending 45 minutes on a good write up of the match and course, my iPad crashed  :'(   Hopefully I’ll get time to redo it some other time, but please excuse the brevity for now.

James got off to a fast start holing a long putt on the 1st for birdie and never looked back, continuing a superb putting display all the way to the end; the killer blow came on the 16th.  Each time I clawed one back, James regained the momentum on the next hole.  A very worthy winner, congratulations James.

The course itself was superb.  It was very quiet and almost like stepping back in time. The highlights were the ribbon bunker on the 12th and the green complexes throughout, but particularly on the 18th.

All in all a superb day and great company.  The GCA knockouts have been the highlight of my golfing year in many ways, with the ability to geek out over great golf courses that I simply can’t with my regular fourball.  Thank you for letting me enter and for the joy this little corner of the internet brings.

Good luck in the final, James, whenever that may be!

Michael Whitaker

« Reply #119 on: October 25, 2020, 06:36:25 PM »

David Jones

« Reply #120 on: October 25, 2020, 06:41:10 PM »

I received a message from Jon saying he was going to have to forfeit his match with me so I assume he was victorious in the first round?

I appear to be in the form of my life...!!

Marty Bonnar

« Reply #121 on: October 25, 2020, 06:45:54 PM »
He’s currently, ehm, otherwise engaged.
The White River runs dark through the heart of the Town,
Washed the people coal-black from the hole in the ground.

Duncan Cheslett

« Reply #122 on: October 26, 2020, 02:33:40 PM »
He’s currently, ehm, otherwise engaged.

Isn't the expression "out of town" ?

Michael Whitaker

« Reply #123 on: October 26, 2020, 03:55:45 PM »
I never saw anything mentioned about the Graham/Wiggett match. Did they indeed play or was this another concession?

Garland Bayley

« Reply #124 on: October 26, 2020, 09:27:04 PM »
My recollection was that it was a concession.
"I enjoy a course where the challenges are contained WITHIN it, and recovery is part of the game  not a course where the challenge is to stay ON it." Jeff Warne

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back