News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

ward peyronnin

Custodians of the game DQ?
« on: January 27, 2020, 09:30:03 AM »
What merits a DQ from those hallowed ranks?
Yeamans is perhaps my favorite place in golf and their longtime restoration is impressive, However now there is rye everywhere, even underplanting the woods on the road in, and it is highly intentional. I missed the recent dormant fast fairways and greens as these are a bit sticky but still enjoyable, but the pro explained members wanted green during the brief "season" down here.
He explained that is the way it was maintained originally and they had even introduced grasses to promote the overseeding; I reckon on the greens so this is no experiment but policy going forward.
Does this overseeding turn compromise Yeaman's standing in the celestial 147?
"Golf is happiness. It's intoxication w/o the hangover; stimulation w/o the pills. It's price is high yet its rewards are richer. Some say its a boys pastime but it builds men. It cleanses the mind/rejuvenates the body. It is these things and many more for those of us who truly love it." M.Norman

Tom_Doak

Re: Custodians of the game DQ?
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2020, 10:08:36 AM »
It's a Raynor course, and Ran is a member, so I'd guess it stays.

Paul Carey

« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2020, 10:16:02 AM »
The overseeding news is disappointing especially in light of many of the courses in that region are moving away from doing so. 
« Last Edit: January 27, 2020, 06:41:12 PM by Paul Carey »

jeffwarne

« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2020, 02:38:07 PM »
Winter membership.Makes perfect sense to shine when the members are there.Bermuda can get downright dicey in March and April  after a busy season on dormant turf,and this is when an overseeded course really shines
What's next? disqualifying Palmetto?

Palatka was overseeded as well-so if one visits in June during transition they may not share my rosy view.Theyve had a ton of rain in the last week/month and semi soft and brown wouldn't have been better than semi soft and green.Still wouldve been semi soft.
Always tradeoffs and as I've stated before policies very often change and as Tom Doak has pointed out clubs often rotate year to year to keep the bermuda stronger.
« Last Edit: January 27, 2020, 10:14:09 PM by jeffwarne »
"Let's slow the damned greens down a bit, not take the character out of them." Tom Doak
"Take their focus off the grass and put it squarely on interesting golf." Don Mahaffey

Michael Wolf

« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2020, 04:49:15 PM »
Does Yeamans Hall still have the summer membership for locals?

When would the rye burnoff be?

Thank you

jeffwarne

« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2020, 06:24:27 PM »
Does Yeamans Hall still have the summer membership for locals?

When would the rye burnoff be?

Thank you

Yes they do.
Burn off is a function of weather and membership usage patterns.
At a place like Yeamans with a traditional seasonal northern membership I'd guess they try to hang on into mid May a la Augusta.

It could be tougher at a Palatka where they overseeded greens as well and I'd guess the rye was covering quite a few dirt fairway and green spots.At Ocala, where they do not overseed there were quite a few bare dirt spots on greens-easily band aided in winter with rye but only compounds the problem come summer as the transitioning rye competes with the bermuda.But it might make sense on a course with heavy winter play.

I enjoy firm fast conditions as much as the next guy but the firm fast of Ohoopee has way more to do with the sand base and minimal play than the choice to not overseed.

I will say the biggest downside to overseeing is the loss of a prime month (October) and the grassy moisture in rye in November which can be a fantastic time to play dormant to semi dormant golf.
Early spring/late winter on dormancy can get dicey during a wet winter on a busy winter course-especially one with constant cart traffic.
« Last Edit: January 27, 2020, 10:14:44 PM by jeffwarne »
"Let's slow the damned greens down a bit, not take the character out of them." Tom Doak
"Take their focus off the grass and put it squarely on interesting golf." Don Mahaffey

Sean_A

« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2020, 07:08:16 PM »
From this Yankee's PoV, it seems like dormant bermuda is the only really good time to play on bermuda!

Ciao
New plays planned for 2024: Fraserburgh, Turnberry, Isle of Harris, Benbecula, Askernish, Traigh, St Medan, Hankley Common, Ashridge, Gog Magog Old & Cruden Bay St Olaf

Scott Warren

« Reply #7 on: January 28, 2020, 03:55:45 AM »
From this Yankee's PoV, it seems like dormant bermuda is the only really good time to play on bermuda!

Ciao

You need to come visit us in Australia one of these years.

Agree the first couple of months of dormancy are the peak for couch (as we call it), but maintained well on firm ground, it’s a pretty agreeable turf to play off in the summer as well.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back