News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Jon Claydon

Destin/Rosemary Beach Area
« on: October 19, 2022, 10:27:52 AM »
Good morning,

I'm taking the family down to the Destin area for winter break this year, which is a new destination for us.

Looking at some other threads here, it seems like the best options for golf are Windswept Dunes and Shark's Tooth, but most of the commentary on this area is pretty dated. 

Any updated insights/thoughts?

Thanks so much!
Jon 

JR Potts

Re: Destin/Rosemary Beach Area
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2022, 10:35:28 AM »
Camp Creek is the best I've played down there.  It's a perfectly fine course.  Nothing memorable but you won't hate it.

I heard there may be an exciting project down there in the future though.  Fingers crossed as that area is an annual visit for my family and it would be great to introduce higher end golf into the sand swept land.

Mike Hendren

« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2022, 12:59:49 PM »
The golf is fairly pedestrian.  We have a place in Seagrove and I don’t bother taking the clubs down anymore. Camp Creek (Fazio) and Sharks Tooth  (Norman) are expensive and average. I favor the more understated Santa Rosa Beach Golf Club but haven’t played there since Bill Bergen’s renovation. Not sure if it’s still open to the public.

Love Design’s 6/9/12 holes Origins course is fun and affordable.

Nothing better than a 4 in Destin proper but a decent cart ball getaway.
« Last Edit: October 19, 2022, 01:20:53 PM by Mike Hendren »
Two Corinthians walk into a bar ....

Paul Jones

« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2022, 08:59:11 AM »
Camp Creek and Shark Tooth are private and expensive, I would try Regatta Bay, Kelly Plantation or San Destin (Burnt Pine).  Burnt Pine is probably private, but accessible.
Paul Jones
pauljones@live.com

Keith Williams

« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2022, 09:23:31 AM »
Unfortunately, the panhandle probably underperforms from a golf standpoint considering the potential the area possesses.  Count me as a fan of Windswept Dunes, though.   It's not groundbreaking, but it makes for a fun and interesting round.

I haven't been there in a decade, but back then it was off the beaten path and the housing around the course hadn't taken off.

-Keith

Jim Lipstate

« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2022, 09:41:44 AM »
In the immediate Destin area I usually play Kelly Plantation. Also SanDestin resort offers three courses for vacationers. My preference is The Raven which in the past hosted a stop on the Champions tour. These are solid courses generally in great condition and worth a play. As with most Florida courses there are a number of holes with water. Housing on these two is not too intrusive. The Links course at SanDestin is old school with tight fairways and a lot of housing but has a number of holes directly on the bay. Regatta Bay is also in Destin. It is an enjoyable tract. They had some conditioning issues with slow greens the past few years but I played there in May and the greens were much improved.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back