News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Brett_Morrissy

Re: The Eighteen Best Courses I Never Got To Build - last 3 courses posted
« Reply #100 on: January 16, 2011, 08:59:18 PM »
Tom:
When you were coming up with this list in your head, and you were imagining the questions you would get from the DG...what questions are you surprised no one has already asked?

I am still curious in your office if you have a world map with red and green pins in it for projects viewed, contracted, finished (and paid in full!)
- although it sounds as though your memory is so good you don't need a map :)
@theflatsticker

Tom_Doak

« Reply #101 on: January 17, 2011, 06:16:04 AM »
Brett:

There's no big world map on the wall at my office, nor at home.  Only in my head.  I've always understood that I only have limited control over where opportunities may arise, but the best way to generate work is to go spend time where you'd like to be.

And I don't know if there are any questions that didn't get asked.  I will only take responsibility for my answers!

Adam:

How the heck did you stumble on that Little Diamond thing?  Interesting marketing plan.

As for the rest of your post, I'm not quite sure how to answer.  I have read all the posts and responded to most, and I really didn't think anyone "dissed" me at all.  A couple of posters HAVE disrespected Mike Hurdzan, and Rees Jones, and David Kidd, by implying that if I had done those particular courses they would have been far better.  I wouldn't [and didn't] say the same, just that I wish I'd got the chance to see how my routing would have turned out instead.

I've gotten a couple of notes from other architects, which basically said, "Yeah, we all go through the same thing," and I know that's the truth.  Two or three years ago there was a post here by some young architect on a great project he never got to build -- this thread just reinforces that it happens all the time, to all of us.  It's agonizing, and it makes it tough to run a business ... but those are just a couple more obstacles you have to overcome if you want to succeed as a golf course architect.

As I said earlier, I can't complain too much, because at least I got to build on a few of the great sites I've seen.  I can't imagine how frustrating it would be for someone to never get that chance.

Duncan Cheslett

« Reply #102 on: January 17, 2011, 07:46:44 AM »
This is screaming at me...

Not sure where you'd put the next tee, though!

George Pazin

« Reply #103 on: January 17, 2011, 10:46:51 AM »
Duncan, it even looks like someone else already bunkered the hole you envision!
Big drivers and hot balls are the product of golf course design that rewards the hit one far then hit one high strategy.  Shinny showed everyone how to take care of this whole technology dilemma. - Pat Brockwell, 6/24/04

Tom_Doak

« Reply #104 on: January 17, 2011, 12:06:50 PM »
Duncan:

Sorry, but the scale of your drawing is off ... you are depicting two shots of 60-80 yards each, and YOUR green site is half again narrower than mine.

Duncan Cheslett

« Reply #105 on: January 17, 2011, 12:38:38 PM »
That's a pity - I really thought from the bare photo that the scale was much bigger!

Spectacular looking country, though...

George Freeman

« Reply #106 on: January 17, 2011, 02:00:48 PM »
This is screaming at me...

Not sure where you'd put the next tee, though!

I was picturing a par 3 playing down the little finger in the middle of the picture with the sheep on it (not used in Duncan's sketch).  

The land, in general, looks spectacular, although seems to lack the little humps and bumps we so commonly think of for "ideal" golf terrain.  
« Last Edit: January 17, 2011, 02:03:33 PM by George Freeman »
Mayhugh is my hero!!

"I love creating great golf courses.  I love shaping earth...it's a canvas." - Donald J. Trump

Peter Sayegh

« Reply #107 on: November 12, 2021, 10:30:14 AM »
Stumbled upon this bookmarked thread yesterday. Very cool read.

Tom, would you amend this list today?

Tom_Doak

« Reply #108 on: November 14, 2021, 12:35:12 AM »

Thanks, Peter.

Yes, of course, there are always good projects falling by the wayside - and other great properties still waiting for their day in the sun.

The most spectacular site I have seen in recent years is the Punta Brava site in Mexico, which was going to be Tiger Woods’ project before the crash.   Was really bummed when my friend couldn’t get the land deal done.

Peter Sayegh

« Reply #109 on: November 14, 2021, 09:30:50 AM »
Thank you Tom.
The original thread is now ten years old. Have the reasons/circumstances of the courses you haven't built the same since that time (be they financial or environmental, etc.) changed dramatically? Or are they similar shades of grey as you've gained more experience?
How quickly do you decide not to pursue a proposed project now compared to 2011?
Peter

Kalen Braley

« Reply #110 on: November 14, 2021, 10:01:01 AM »

Thanks, Peter.

Yes, of course, there are always good projects falling by the wayside - and other great properties still waiting for their day in the sun.

The most spectacular site I have seen in recent years is the Punta Brava site in Mexico, which was going to be Tiger Woods’ project before the crash.   Was really bummed when my friend couldn’t get the land deal done.

I hadn't heard of this before.  Wikipedia has a page for it, but safe to say pretty stale info.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Punta_Brava_Golf_Club

P.S.  Looking at the site on Google Earth, that peninsula looks pretty steep/severe overall, even if a spectacular location.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back