News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Tom_Doak

Re: 10 Courses That Could Ruin a Friendship
« Reply #25 on: November 26, 2019, 12:30:06 PM »
Hoylake could easily be in this category.

Garden City Golf Club is, not only on the "too flat and subtle" side like Hoylake, but because the membership policy creates issues for many people.

Kalen Braley

« Reply #26 on: November 26, 2019, 12:55:22 PM »
Bill and Jeff,

Is the Rose Bowl a no go because of the venue, either getting in or out or poor seating or sight lines?  Or is it because UCLA has been so awful for years now!  ;D   I only ask because Utah may play in the Rose Bowl for the first time ever this year and I'm thinking I may go.

Kalen

Jeff Schley

« Reply #27 on: November 26, 2019, 01:03:45 PM »
Bill and Jeff,

Is the Rose Bowl a no go because of the venue, either getting in or out or poor seating or sight lines?  Or is it because UCLA has been so awful for years now!  ;D   I only ask because Utah may play in the Rose Bowl for the first time ever this year and I'm thinking I may go.

Kalen
Well congrats to Utah certainly for Coach Whittingham and his squad, well deserved and hope they can finish strong.  The Rose Bowl is a great venue for both tailgating on Brookside GC before/after games, as well as the stadium itself where it is a symmetrical bowl. Admittedly I have only seen one game from the stands, the rest were either on the sidelines or press box (great view).  Getting in and out is a problem for sure.  Typically if you hang for about an hour or two after the game you can get out fairly quickly. I would get there very early if possible and tailgate, unless you are going to the Rose Bowl parade which is really a great experience and tickets to the stands at the parade are many times more expensive than getting a seat at the game itself.
"To give anything less than your best, is to sacrifice your gifts."
- Steve Prefontaine

Kalen Braley

« Reply #28 on: November 26, 2019, 01:12:17 PM »
Thanks for the advice Jeff,

And screw the parade, I don't even watch it on TV!  :D

Ronald Montesano

« Reply #29 on: November 26, 2019, 01:32:59 PM »
Black Jack Kavanaugh,

Your best thread title in a minute. I have no courses to contribute, but wish to demonstrate my appreciation for the work you put into the title and your top ten list.
Coming in August 2023
~Manakiki
~OSU Scarlet
~OSU Grey
~NCR South
~Springfield
~Columbus
~Lake Forest (OH)
~Sleepy Hollow (OH)

Dave McCollum

« Reply #30 on: November 26, 2019, 01:39:02 PM »
The old "Ocean Trails" which is now Trump National LA in Palos Verdes, CA.  I played it maybe 10x's when it was OT as I had a friend there who was a UCLA football fan and I could give him tickets for golf. :) The barter system was alive and well then.

Two things you'd likely have to pay me to do: 1) Play Trump National LA, and; 2) attend a UCLA football game in person.  And I say that as a lifelong die hard Bruins fan that grew up 15 minutes from the Rose Bowl (grandparents used to live about a mile or two away on Arroyo Blvd).  I can't figure out which prospect is less appealing.

I have to agree with Jeff.  For 15 years I lived within walking/jogging distance of the Rose Bowl--most of it in your grandparents neighborhood (Arbor St. one lot from Arroyo).  Just about every day I wasn't traveling or working, I jogged through the Arroyo and around the RB and the golf courses.  I really liked going to games there.  Not so much jogging on game day.  But then again, I could walk and not have to deal with the traffic and parking on the golf courses.  I didn't play much golf in those days, but have always wondered what it was like after a game. You have to pay me to attend another Rose Parade, though.     

Kalen Braley

« Reply #31 on: November 26, 2019, 01:44:16 PM »
I was thinking, perhaps you could bring your wedge and putter and get some practice in after the game while you wait for the traffic to clear!

P.S.  I love going to SoCal this time of the year when weather is crap most other places and its 60s-70s and sunshine...(usually)

Jeff Schley

« Reply #32 on: November 26, 2019, 01:52:52 PM »
I was thinking, perhaps you could bring your wedge and putter and get some practice in after the game while you wait for the traffic to clear!

P.S.  I love going to SoCal this time of the year when weather is crap most other places and its 60s-70s and sunshine...(usually)
Just hope you don't play Wisconsin as their fans take over Pasadena and the Rose Bowl. Played them in the 99 game. ugh.
- Steve Prefontaine

Kalen Braley

« Reply #33 on: November 26, 2019, 02:13:45 PM »
Its looking like its Minnesota at the moment, with Ohio State winning out and going to the CFP...

Even Utah has a outside chance of same if they beat Oregon, and Alabama loses...but I have a sneaking suspicion when Georgia loses in SEC champ game that a 1 loss Alabama team will get the nod over Utah despite not having thier star QB, but they have to get by Auburn first.

Dave McCollum

« Reply #34 on: November 26, 2019, 02:23:31 PM »
Thanks for the advice Jeff,

And screw the parade, I don't even watch it on TV!  :D

Kalen,

Again I agree with Jeff.  Hardly a bad seat in the Rose Bowl.  No track around the field so ringside seats very close to the action.  Haven't been there in decades, of course.  My era spanned when UCLA first started using it for home games.  Attended many Rose Bowls as well.  I've also attended many parades because we lived one block from the Tournament of Roses HQ, the old Wrigley Mansion, where the floats line up before the parade starts.  Back in the day, there were many opportunities to see the floats when they were being "flowered," lined up before the parade, and parked after.  All for free.  The are truly amazing up close.  Do it if you get the chance.

Our house was always filled with friends and families on New Year's Eve and Day.  My favorites were the times we played poker all night and went up to look at the floats before dawn--nearly always the coldest day of the year--keep that in mind.  The wives took the kids to the parade and we all took naps before the the huge pot-luck buffet we had every year after the parade.  Then off to the game less than a mile away.  It was quite a party for many years.  For both the adults and the kids.   

Tal Oz

« Reply #35 on: November 26, 2019, 04:42:33 PM »
I've seen Rustic Canyon offer split results with my friends. Especially for friends who grew up on parkland LA city courses. On a windy day there's a good chance they won't come back. I try my best to guide them through the canyon pull, the ground game options, and the green breaks, but many are so puzzled they won't return. The ones who come back tend to get hooked!

Matt MacIver

« Reply #36 on: November 26, 2019, 09:02:55 PM »

I’m thinking specifically of trips I’ve made and comments heard:

#2 (see TOC below)
Troon (Old) - great name, great middle six, meh
Old Course (seriously this is it?)
Bandon Dunes - it’s the best on property

Ira Fishman

« Reply #37 on: November 26, 2019, 09:52:49 PM »
Woking.

Ira

Bill Seitz

« Reply #38 on: November 27, 2019, 02:01:45 AM »
Bill and Jeff,

Kalen

It's the most beautiful setting for college football in the country, especially late afternoon when the stadium is getting dark, but the sun is still lighting up the San Gabriels.  But ugh, the Bruins have been terrible recently (though there are some signs of life if you know where to look this year). 

It's a great event, and you should definitely go if your team is playing.  I went year after year as a kid, but it was on a free ticket from working the VIP parking concession.  In this case "free" meant "terrible".  Like first row, 25 yard line, which sounds great, until you realize you're sitting field level behind 80 guys who are all 6'5".  Still fun to be in the building.  I did get to see Rodney Peete fumble right in front of me in 1988 sealing a win for George Perles and Michigan State, my dad's alma mater.  The Rose Bowl will always be special to me.  I grew up about 15 minutes away.  My grandparents lived maybe a mile or two down Arroyo Boulevard, just south of California Boulevard. 

Watching Illinois get trounced against hated SC in 2008 was the first time I actually watched the game from good seats.  I went back a couple years later to watc Wisconsin lose to TCU when may main rooting interest was for "no overtime".  50 degrees isn't cold per se, but it is when you're dressed for 65 degrees.  Still, it's a venue everyone should visit at least once. 

Bill Seitz

« Reply #39 on: November 27, 2019, 02:06:53 AM »

Just hope you don't play Wisconsin as their fans take over Pasadena and the Rose Bowl. Played them in the 99 game. ugh.

You wouldn't have been there if we'd had replay back then.  Or if the original date for the Miami game hadn't been postponed for a hurricane and UCLA still had half their starters on defense.  That Melsby "fumble" still haunts me.  And that defense was good, but just lacked depth.  When you play a 3-4 and two of the three lineman are getting their first ever college start in the Rose Bowl against Ron Dayne, that's a tough row to hoe. 

Jeff Schley

« Reply #40 on: November 27, 2019, 02:23:24 AM »

You wouldn't have been there if we'd had replay back then.  Or if the original date for the Miami game hadn't been postponed for a hurricane and UCLA still had half their starters on defense.  That Melsby "fumble" still haunts me.  And that defense was good, but just lacked depth.  When you play a 3-4 and two of the three lineman are getting their first ever college start in the Rose Bowl against Ron Dayne, that's a tough row to hoe.
Bill we have to connect.  I was coaching at UCLA then and Dec 5 1998 is a nightmare for many reasons and you are EXACTLY right that Melsby didn't fumble!!!!!  Total BS.  Although the defense was like a sieve that day against Edgerrin James who went for 300 yards I think that day it was humid and hot and 11 am kickoff west coast time.  We should have left 2 days before but Toledo didn't want to do it and we had a protest the night before from some african american players who wanted to wear black bands we had to deal with. Minds weren't focused on what was at hand. Great team and it goes to show that one play can make the difference, just a single play.
- Steve Prefontaine

Jeff Schley

« Reply #41 on: November 27, 2019, 02:25:55 AM »
Bill and Jeff,

Kalen

It's the most beautiful setting for college football in the country, especially late afternoon when the stadium is getting dark, but the sun is still lighting up the San Gabriels.  But ugh, the Bruins have been terrible recently (though there are some signs of life if you know where to look this year). 

It's a great event, and you should definitely go if your team is playing.  I went year after year as a kid, but it was on a free ticket from working the VIP parking concession.  In this case "free" meant "terrible".  Like first row, 25 yard line, which sounds great, until you realize you're sitting field level behind 80 guys who are all 6'5".  Still fun to be in the building.  I did get to see Rodney Peete fumble right in front of me in 1988 sealing a win for George Perles and Michigan State, my dad's alma mater.  The Rose Bowl will always be special to me.  I grew up about 15 minutes away.  My grandparents lived maybe a mile or two down Arroyo Boulevard, just south of California Boulevard. 

Watching Illinois get trounced against hated SC in 2008 was the first time I actually watched the game from good seats.  I went back a couple years later to watc Wisconsin lose to TCU when may main rooting interest was for "no overtime".  50 degrees isn't cold per se, but it is when you're dressed for 65 degrees.  Still, it's a venue everyone should visit at least once.
The Illinois Rose Bowl was my first and only time watching a game in the Rose Bowl as a fan in the stadium as well. Juice Williams, Mendenhall, I was hopeful the Illini would kick SC's ass.  However that obviously wasn't the case.
- Steve Prefontaine

Kalen Braley

« Reply #42 on: December 08, 2019, 12:07:20 PM »
Well...so much for that.  Sadly Utah's medicore results in November and early December games lives on...

Jeff Schley

« Reply #43 on: December 08, 2019, 01:01:42 PM »
Well...so much for that.  Sadly Utah's medicore results in November and early December games lives on...
I could put it into perspective and say, "Come on, it's Utah!"  ;)
They overachieved and Coach Whittingham is the right man for them, it is not easy to win any conference from the traditional fringes of the members. Oregon, USC, Stanford have been the stalwarts with Washington, UCLA chiming in on occasion. They will go to nice bowl game with good weather at least.
- Steve Prefontaine

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #44 on: December 08, 2019, 02:43:47 PM »
They will get nothing and like it!!!

There is a lesson above. My OT comment at least relates to golf. I’m so happy Utah lost after the derailing of this thread.

Kalen Braley

« Reply #45 on: December 10, 2019, 11:30:00 AM »
John,

My apologies for derailing your OT thread with OT discussion.

P.S.  Deep down I knew the Utes weren't all that. They lost to their only two quality opponents this year, and neither of them were elite teams anyways...  :'(

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #46 on: December 10, 2019, 11:38:11 AM »
No problem. I’m trying to lose weight and if I don’t lose my lunch when you, Peter and Jeff post on every thread my BMI gets thrown out of whack.

Kalen Braley

« Reply #47 on: December 10, 2019, 11:39:49 AM »
No problem. I’m trying to lose weight and if I don’t lose my lunch when you, Peter and Jeff post on every thread my BMI gets thrown out of whack.

Hilarious John, glad I can help!  ;D

P.S.  I think this is a terrific OT thread topic, with real merit.

Tim Martin

« Reply #48 on: December 11, 2019, 10:47:11 AM »
Atlanta Athletic Club Highlands
Gillette Ridge Golf Club
Cape May National

cary lichtenstein

« Reply #49 on: December 11, 2019, 11:30:44 AM »
These are courses that you can take a close friend but acquaintances and business associates beware. My top 10.

Tobacco Rd
Mystic Dunes
Lawsonia Links
Purgatory
Pasatiempo
Wolf Run RIPPGMIS
Sweetens Cove
Santa Anita
Hulman Links
Glenn Echo

Funny story, my wife and I played Tobacco Run. On one fo the par 3's, she wiffed her tee shot and put the next one in the cup for a 2. I had never seen or even heard of that before, and I was an eye witness
Cary Lichtenstein
Live Jupiter, Fl, was  4 handicap, played top 100 US, top 75 World. Great memories, no longer play, 4 back surgeries. I don't miss a lot of things about golf, life is simpler with out it. I miss my 60 degree wedge shots, don't miss nasty weather, icing, back spasms. Last course I played was Augusta

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back