News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

MCirba

Re: My 2019 in Review - An attempt at "Frank Commentary and Discussion"
« Reply #225 on: February 01, 2020, 09:37:53 AM »
Just to summarize, I thought it might be handy to go through them one more time as a self reality check.   The only one I might raise in stature is my beloved Cobb's Creek, but that's a course in transition so hopefully that may take care of itself before too long.

10. - Oakmont, Pine Valley
8.0 - Lancaster, Moraine, Manasquan River
7.5 - Sweetens Cove
7.0 - Applebrook, Scioto, Ekwanok, Cape Fear
6.5 - Atlantic City, Berkshire, Muirfield Village, Sunningdale, Black Creek
6.0 - French Creek, Double Eagle, Sewanee, Lookout Mountain, Galen Hall, Landfall (Dye)
5.5 - Seaview (Bay), US Naval Academy, Rock Spring, Cape Fear National, Wilmington Muni
5.0 - Greate Bay, St. Davids, Columbia, Brigantine
4.5 - Cobb's Creek
4.0 - Rich Maiden, Olde Stonewall, Community (Hills), Dorset Field Club, Paramus, Myrtlewood
3.5 - Ed "Porky" Oliver, Honesdale, Rip Van Winkle
3.0 - Mountain Laurel, Scranton Muni, Orchard Hills
2.5 - Indian Mountain, Edgewood, Blue Shamrock
2.0 - Mountain Valley, Twin Willows
1.5 - Palmer House
1.0 - Skyline

Thanks to everyone for your comments and input to date.
« Last Edit: February 01, 2020, 09:39:40 AM by MCirba »
"Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent" - Calvin Coolidge

https://cobbscreek.org/

David Harshbarger

« Reply #226 on: February 01, 2020, 05:47:26 PM »
Just to summarize, I thought it might be handy to go through them one more time as a self reality check.   The only one I might raise in stature is my beloved Cobb's Creek, but that's a course in transition so hopefully that may take care of itself before too long.

7.5 - Sweetens Cove
6.0 - French Creek, Double Eagle, Sewanee, Lookout Mountain, Galen Hall, Landfall (Dye)
5.5 - Seaview (Bay), US Naval Academy, Rock Spring, Cape Fear National, Wilmington Muni
4.5 - Cobb's Creek
4.0 - Rich Maiden, Olde Stonewall, Community (Hills), Dorset Field Club, Paramus, Myrtlewood
1.5 - Palmer House
1.0 - Skyline

Mike, that's a great distribution of Doak ratings for a year, almost normal.  Not sure if everyone would call that a success but I do.

Thanks for sharing all of these experiences with us.  I have enjoyed it quite a bit and sure there are many who don't or can't post who have enjoyed it to.
The trouble with modern equipment and distance—and I don't see anyone pointing this out—is that it robs from the player's experience. - Mickey Wright

Stewart Abramson

« Reply #227 on: February 01, 2020, 09:29:18 PM »
Mike,
Thanks for sharing all of these experiences with us.  I have enjoyed it quite a bit and sure there are many who don't or can't post who have enjoyed it to.

+1. This has helped get me through the winter so far. Thanks Mike

Dave Maberry

« Reply #228 on: February 02, 2020, 08:35:10 AM »
Wilmington Municipal Golf Course - Wilmington, NC

Donald Ross 1926, Ron Prichard/Clyde Johnston 1998

Doak Scale Score - 5.5

The tawny colors of the dormant Bermuda make a lovely contrast on the par three 4th "Volcano Hole". (Did I mention it makes me absolutely crazy when I see young people taking carts, especially on such a wonderfully lovely walking course?)

I first want to link to Ran's typically wonderful review of Wilmington from 2002.   I'm not sure what more I can say except that everything he wrote at that time still generally holds true today, particularly the firm playing conditions.   

http://golfclubatlas.com/courses-by-country/usa/wilmington-golf-course-nc-usa/

My wife and I first played there about 10 years ago and this year she insisted we go back.   The fact the ball runs forever is a constant delight to her and she did say I should mention that whoever built the thoughtful, well-positioned "red tees" at 4,723 yards should be knighted.   Most courses are way too long & laborious for the average woman golfer.

It's her favorite course of the 50 or so she's played to date.

Mike,

I had the pleasure to play Wilmington Muni 3 times in 2019 and again last week. In 2014 John Fought revised the course. The story is that DJR designed the course in 1925 and sand greens were installed due to lack of irrigation. In the early 1950's after irrigation was installed (Ross passed in 1948) the sand greens were grassed. Ross's course layout and individual hole diagrams show both the sand greens and what was going to be the grass greens. John Fought finished this design and now the greens are 2 to 2.5 times larger than when I first played it 10 years ago.

MCirba

« Reply #229 on: February 02, 2020, 09:39:12 AM »
David & Stewart,

Thank you so much...that means a lot to me.  So glad you enjoyed.

Dave M.,

I was unaware of Fought's involvement.  Thanks for enlightening me.  I've updated my post.

jeffwarne

« Reply #230 on: February 02, 2020, 10:22:36 AM »

7.5 - Sweetens Cove
4.5 - Cobb's Creek
1.5 - Palmer House
1.0 - Skyline

Mike, that's a great distribution of Doak ratings for a year, almost normal.  Not sure if everyone would call that a success but I do.

As David notes, a balanced distribution and an opportunity to sample a wide variety of quality and styles. Great stuff Mike.

I had an interesting discussion with a GOLF Top 100 panelist recently that commented he didn't think I would make a good panelist because of my desire to seek out gems less on the beaten path. His theory was that I wasn't playing enough of the "best" places and therefore wouldn't be qualified.......I took a huge gulp of my beverage before responding....then a second gulp...
I asked if the list of the 450ish courses that raters were supposed to play was public as I'd be curious to see it. He replied it was "confidential" then proceeded to share it...I won't share the results of our johnson measuring as it's not relevant to the post...but...

How do you really rate quality if all you play is a preordained "quality" list, and how are are you "more" qualified by playing a far narrower range of courses?
« Last Edit: February 02, 2020, 05:40:38 PM by jeffwarne »
"Let's slow the damned greens down a bit, not take the character out of them." Tom Doak
"Take their focus off the grass and put it squarely on interesting golf." Don Mahaffey

Ira Fishman

« Reply #231 on: February 02, 2020, 10:37:59 AM »
Mike,

+1. This has helped get me through the winter so far. Thanks Mike

+2. And I renew my suggestion from earlier in the thread that a guide to courses within 15 minutes or so of Interstate Highways would be most useful.

MCirba

« Reply #232 on: February 04, 2020, 11:59:12 AM »
Thanks, Jeff & Ira,

I just went through the list and did the math and my average course played last year was a 5.63, at least in my rating.   

I do understand those who have the ability to travel extensively not wanting to play anything less than a Doak 5 but my travel ability is more limited to a few adventures per year.   I also wonder how folks who don't see the pantheon of golf courses know exactly how good one course is relative to others but I enjoy seeing them all.   I think most folks don't see enough bad golf courses to understand exactly how good a "3" really is.   :)
« Last Edit: February 04, 2020, 12:01:43 PM by MCirba »

David Harshbarger

« Reply #233 on: February 04, 2020, 12:53:16 PM »

I just went through the list and did the math and my average course played last year was a 5.63, at least in my rating.   

If the Doak scale puts "Average" at 3, and your play averaged 5.63, then you've had a good pretty year architecture-wise, definitely in Lake Wobegon territory.
The trouble with modern equipment and distance—and I don't see anyone pointing this out—is that it robs from the player's experience. - Mickey Wright

Sven Nilsen

« Reply #234 on: February 04, 2020, 12:56:23 PM »

If the Doak scale puts "Average" at 3, and your play averaged 5.63, then you've had a good pretty year architecture-wise, definitely in Lake Wobegon territory.

I've never met Mike, is he that good-looking?  ;)
"As much as we have learned about the history of golf architecture in the last ten plus years, I'm convinced we have only scratched the surface."  A GCA Poster

"There's the golf hole; play it any way you please." Donald Ross

David Harshbarger

« Reply #235 on: February 04, 2020, 01:01:25 PM »
I've never met Mike, is he that good-looking?  ;)

I've never met him, either, but I'll grant him "above average" site unseen :-)

Kyle Harris

« Reply #236 on: February 05, 2020, 10:18:03 AM »
At some point the messages transitioned from "I'm going to post about Galen Hall and Brigantine" to questioning my moral integrity as though I were missing some form of golf architecture epistemological imperative.

Mike Cirba is correct, as is normal, but this is an historic Penn State Mens' Basketball Team, among other earthly and spiritual distractions.

Galen Hall Golf Club is required study for anyone seeking to understand the history of Golf Architecture in American from 1910-1994. I try not to go all R****** with linking to my own blog here, but alas, it's germane and prescient and perhaps represents a voice from my past not so jaded by the disappointment of the stock golf architecture "connoisseur." I'm no Bradley Klein or Tim Gavrich, but perhaps I can become a better Kyle Harris from the past.

What now follows is a love letter in multimedia form.

A sense of place:

Is there a better introduction to any golf course than a first tee mere steps out the shop door?

The first hole:
https://kylewharris.com/2011/02/09/an-opening-hole-galen-hall-golf-club/

Click the link. But there is no better statement about anything at Galen Hall than what is the first approximately 330 yards of golf. You're never quite comfortable but everything is apparent. There are a slew of options to mitigate your discomfort and the green, while perched, isn't completely inaccessible. Bogey isn't a *great* feeling but it is also understandable. Play away, please.

Galen Hall is a rare case of a golf course that has undergone consistent improvement with each subsequent renovation. Seven of the original nine Alex Findlay holes remain untouched and the bones of the other two either lie under trees and cart path, or an irrigation/mitigation dam. Perhaps we can call this the Jeri Ryan loop.

But we digressed here, while making the seemingly strange walk to the second tee.

It's not strange in situ, because you are walking up the original Par-3 second as you do so. Look closely in the photo on my blog link (click the link, said the click whore) and you'll notice a slight "shelf" in the woods to the right of the house. Dead level. Also apparent just right of the two spruce trees is another plateau. Welp. Tee and green for a tricky little pitch shot Par-3. It's all right there.

I don't want to talk about the current 2nd hole because I don't want to tell Ryan Farrow why he is wrong, again.

The third is a candidate for best hole on the golf course and I disagree with the idea that the 4th may be over the top. The fifth, though, is an interesting study. It was enough of a golf hole in the original iteration that Tillinghast wrote about it (this is the hole labelled "Wernersville" in which Tillinghast Society compilation you see that) and the golfer original played to the plateau that is currently the pond and then over to the current green site. Tillinghast called it an elbow and if one takes the time study Alex Findlay you realize this style of hole is a close to a template as Findlay ever had. The original tenth at nearby Reading CC was a downhill version and the fifth at Pitman Golf Course in New Jersey is a mirror image in this style. There is a SEVERE version at the very-nearby and needs-to-be-seen Manor Golf Club which involves a public road.

The current version of the fifth (then sixth) plays straight through the terrain Findlay wisely avoided in an era where drainage was done via exposed gravity. It's awkward, but fun, like so many of my dates.

I liked the bunkerless sixth before they added bunkers. I haven't seen it since they've added bunkers but the hole didn't *need* bunkers. That's fine though because they left the greensite alone. Bunkers can go away easily. We now traverse to the Galen Hall mystery spot. A gander to the right shows the severe uphill seventeenth - the eighth for Mr. Findlay - and a path to the left takes us to the first of the Tillinghast holes.

Somewhere in the gorge created by the creek coming off the mountain, our beloved and misunderstood Albert Warren had a short hole; which means an interation of Galen Hall had three Par-3s fanning like a peacock's feathers using the same feature. It also means that two of these had to play consecutively.

But it also means that Galen Hall has a body count of short holes. More on this later.

The seventh is a spectacular Par-3, so we're going to skip it. Just go play it already.

The vista from the eighth tee is nothing short of stunning and one finally sees the majority of the golf course in the valley beneath. Even the Moat Hole is visible, yet still shrouded in mystery. There's also a green right next to a barn.

It's as good of a time as any to say this because the eighthgreen is NOT Tillinghast. Enter William and David Gordon, the overly maligned and underrated heirs presumptive to the William Flynn legacy. Our first introduction to their contribution is the attractively saddled eighth green benched into the hillside beguiling the third shots on this gigantic Par-5. You sense the stylistic change but the combination works because Tillinghast used a rather gentle (read: non-existent) hand on the first 550 yards of the hole. [size=78%]

So let's just get it out of the way. The Albert Warren Tillinghast holes at Galen Hall are in the bottom tier of golfing quality on the property. While the barn and the moat represent the high points of quirk, neither are the quirkiest holes, and the other holes are well...

Meh.

I will hear arguments about the 14th, however, but this is a love letter and an opinion piece. I need to start somewhere.

Moving on. The Gordon loop of the eighth green to the eleventh green takes advantage of property not available to Tillinghast because of subsequent land purchase. Additionally this stretch places into and out of Lancaster County (we're in Amish country, baby!) and due to the quirks of Pennsylvania's Byzantine Blue Laws the half-way house after the lovely Par-3 tenth operates under different rules than the clubhouse in terms of your libation and mid-round frankfurter.

The holes are a solid representation of an era that valued engineering frugality and practical golf. Each shot is interesting and the greens are both sited and contoured well. What the poorly named dark-ages lacked in quirk and originality the made up for with solid golfing interest. You're still going to misread the dastardly little 11th green.

Onward to the Par-5 twelfth and it's barn. As you pass the forward tee out of the chute of trees and look left to the eighth green you look across the last of the Par-3s in Galen Hall's body count of holes. A high-to-high affair that Tillinghast used to get across the valley along the original property line. I'm not sure much was lost.

I happen to like the thirteenth and it's severe little green-site. Fourteen, as I alluded to above, is a great study in restraint, difficulty, and using the ground to challenge the golfer, but golly when it rains the hole is a just a quagmire and the green is almost the very definition of "uninspired, throw-away, quirk" though I suppose if Donald Ross had mailed in the plan someone like Andy Johnson might have something to say about it.

We've talked the Moat Hole to death and I'm eager to get back to the Findlay finish, though the 16th may be the only golf hole I've played where the most apt description is "cute." The little greensite with it's bunker makes me giggle in a good way.

And now... the seventeenth

[/size]Who in the name of Mucci-Red builds this kind of hole in 19-whatever!?I am a staunch defender of the loooooooong Par-3 (there's two OG GCA Poster references in two lines, pardner) and the 17th at Galen Hall is on my short list of "See? those guys did it too, hit your driver and shut up, please." The front of this putting surface was raised to accommodate modern green speeds and a few new hole locations, but the Findlay version must have been invitingly fun to see the ball chase up the hill. It wasn't until recently that I had faced a final tee shot that inspired me to absolutely crush a driver on a specific line like the ultimate shot at Galen Hall has.

That golf course was Cherry Hills and I succeeded in my one attempt at Cherry Hills. I've yet to do so at Galen Hall. But somewhere out there my ability, mental focus, and the rough-and-tumble landing area will conspire to create a tee shot that is, as they say, stupid long.
I hope they don't mess with this green for the sake of creating more hole locations. I hope they don't mess with this course. I actually do hope you all go play it. Which is rare for a course I like. Y'all tend to ruin things by... discussing... them. Just go play.
« Last Edit: February 05, 2020, 10:29:12 AM by Kyle Harris »
http://kylewharris.com

Constantly blamed by 8-handicaps for their 7 missed 12-footers each round.

Thank you for changing the font of your posts. It makes them easier to scroll past.

MCirba

« Reply #237 on: February 05, 2020, 10:35:37 AM »
Bravo.

Kalen Braley

« Reply #238 on: February 05, 2020, 10:49:36 AM »
Mike,

You know me, I had to chart it out to see the distribution curve.  I guess in this case not sure if its a normal distribution or not but its "good enough for government work"  ;D

MCirba

« Reply #239 on: February 05, 2020, 11:45:23 AM »
Love it, Kalen.

Thanks for adding the Eagles logo...I know that wasn't easy.  ;)

Kalen Braley

« Reply #240 on: February 05, 2020, 12:29:34 PM »
Love it, Kalen.

Thanks for adding the Eagles logo...I know that wasn't easy.  ;)

Its all good Mike.  The Eagles are one of the few teams in the league i'll root for in a big game, like this last year when they played Seattle in the playoffs!  Going to Eagles games looks like damn fun, as opposed to 9er games where people barely get out of thier seats...

Kyle Harris

« Reply #241 on: February 12, 2020, 09:18:45 AM »
Brigantine Golf Links.

This presented an interesting exercise in memory, for me, since Brigantine elicits the same viscerally emotional response as Galen Hall.

But it's not the same same. It's just the same. Galen Hall is a golf course of shots and situations where Brigantine lies back and allows the stories to unfold depending on the match that day, your mood, your breakfast (or drinks from the night before), etc. In fact, it took a little bit of aerial reconnaissance via Google to jog the memory of some of the earlier holes.

But isn't that a GREAT thing?

Brigantine is almost an ideal golf course in the sense that it only enters into your consciousness as situations dictate, not forcing itself upon you but forcing you upon itself.

Consider a stimulus-induced joyfest like Tobacco Road - an absolute blast to play - but one where each shot is the memory and perhaps not the match or the overall round.

Then consider the 6th tee at Brigantine. A bit awkward, maybe 5 yards too narrow on either side, but EXTREMELY important if you're already 2-down in the match and trying to stop the bleeding. Somewhere, at some point, your context matters and then suddenly the golf course is there to challenge. Until that point, though, it lies waiting, perhaps even a bit dull.

Suddenly you're a few down or a few over. What happened? What will happen? What can happen?

#10-11-12 then rise to the occasion and you'd be legitimate in your post-round analysis if you walked away feeling like this was the only stretch that truly got the "fizz" going. Brigantine, however, isn't the Bugatti Veyron of golf course. It's not even the WRX. What it is... it's the car that has a tight suspension which you deftly rely upon to steer around the obstacle in the middle of the road. You don't hit the deer but your heart is racing. You got your rush.

And it always happens.
http://kylewharris.com

Constantly blamed by 8-handicaps for their 7 missed 12-footers each round.

Thank you for changing the font of your posts. It makes them easier to scroll past.

JReese

« Reply #242 on: February 12, 2020, 12:20:28 PM »

7.5 - Sweetens Cove
4.5 - Cobb's Creek
1.5 - Palmer House
1.0 - Skyline

Mike - you may have mentioned this earlier and if so my apologies.  Out of all the courses listed above not named Pine Valley or Oakmont, if you could only play 1 for the rest of your life which would it be and why? 
"Bunkers are not places of pleasure; they are for punishment and repentance." - Old Tom Morris

David Harshbarger

« Reply #243 on: February 12, 2020, 12:26:22 PM »

7.5 - Sweetens Cove
4.5 - Cobb's Creek
1.5 - Palmer House
1.0 - Skyline

Mike - you may have mentioned this earlier and if so my apologies.  Out of all the courses listed above not named Pine Valley or Oakmont, if you could only play 1 for the rest of your life which would it be and why?

Great question.  As a follow-up, if you included Pine Valley and Oakmont would either be the 1 course you played for the rest of your life?  They are both reputed ball-busters.  Is that what you would want your golf to be day in and day out?

MCirba

« Reply #244 on: February 13, 2020, 08:29:56 AM »
JReese & David H,

Those are some great questions.   Let me ponder for a day or so and come up with a cogent response.

My initial thought is that a constant diet of either/both would quickly lead to a head to toe uncontrollable St. Vitus Dance.

But that's just me being funny.   Great questions deserve thought.
« Last Edit: February 13, 2020, 08:33:03 AM by MCirba »

Peter Sayegh

« Reply #245 on: June 17, 2021, 10:21:28 AM »
Mike,As much as I think you overrate Manasquan River GC, a local friend has told me it is now better since your last visit. I'm looking forward to playing it in September to change my opinion.

MCirba

« Reply #246 on: June 17, 2021, 06:47:37 PM »
Peter,

It is spanking good.  Enjoy.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back