News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Wayne_Kozun

Re: OT- Best rainsuit in the market
« Reply #25 on: May 26, 2021, 01:58:08 PM »
FYI - Kjus was bought by Acushnet two years ago which also owns Footjoy, among other brands.  It will be interesting to see if the quality changes over time.

Ira Fishman

« Reply #26 on: May 26, 2021, 04:37:14 PM »
My Costco rain suit has never failed me.

My wife just returned from Costco an hour ago. She was not pleased that I asked her to try to find rain suits.

Ira

Michael Whitaker

« Reply #27 on: May 26, 2021, 05:23:08 PM »
Lou,

The question is “do you want to stay dry or do you want to make a fashion statement?”

If you want to stay dry take a look at the offerings from Eddie Bauer. They have a stretch fabric jacket and pant that is perfect for golf. Guaranteed waterproof. Amazing warranty.

AND... they are having a Memorial Day sale and all the rainwear is 50% off!!!

I have EB pants and they are the best rain pants I’ve ever owned. Highest quality and total rain protection.
"Solving the paradox of proportionality is the heart of golf architecture."  - Tom Doak (11/20/05)

Tony Ristola

« Reply #28 on: May 26, 2021, 05:36:29 PM »
My top-of-the-line Foot-Joy Gortex rainsuit didn't last the fist 15 minutes of steady rain yesterday.  I've followed the instructions to revitalize the rain protection using an expensive solution recommended by the manufacturer.  What are the best suits available in the market today?  I would particularly appreciate opinions based on experience in areas of heavy weather, e.g. Ireland, Scotland, Bandon, etc.
Rukka, a Finnish product was popular on the Swedish Rain Tour 35-years ago, and I'm certain they've only improved.

Ronald Montesano

« Reply #29 on: May 27, 2021, 08:45:17 AM »
Fan of ProQuip, ever since the Ryder Cup in Wales, and the demise of the USA side's posh rain suits. Good story in there...look it up.
Coming in August 2023
~Manakiki
~OSU Scarlet
~OSU Grey
~NCR South
~Springfield
~Columbus
~Lake Forest (OH)
~Sleepy Hollow (OH)

Adam Uttley

« Reply #30 on: May 27, 2021, 10:54:57 AM »
+1 for Kjus, one of the best investments I've ever made.  It is worth saying that they repel a lot of water but not as much as others but where they really come in is their stretchability.  I honestly forget that I am wearing them and voluntarily put the top on as an extra layer for warmth instead of using a base layer now.

Mark Mammel

« Reply #31 on: May 27, 2021, 01:10:24 PM »
I want to add my kudos to Sunderland. I have 2 Sunderland tops- both more than 10 years old. The one I like best has zip-off long sleeves, which sadly is no longer made. Very warm as well. My Zero Restriction pants have zip-off legs at the knees, which I also like as I get too warm easily, even in Scotland! But they are cumbersome and I'll check out the Kjus. Jay, thanks for the chart- very helpful.
So much golf to play, so little time....

Mark

Lou_Duran

« Reply #32 on: May 27, 2021, 02:56:38 PM »
Lou,

The question is “do you want to stay dry or do you want to make a fashion statement?”

If you want to stay dry take a look at the offerings from Eddie Bauer. They have a stretch fabric jacket and pant that is perfect for golf. Guaranteed waterproof. Amazing warranty.

You should know me well enough not to have posed that question.  I am a value consumer; price relative to function and durability.  As noted, I own several rain suits, all which fail in the most important factor- keeping me dry.  I will check out the EB suits- I always take two when travelling to the UK.

Per Ian, Michael Felton, and others, I took a look at the Kjus Pro 3L 2.0 while visiting my son's club yesterday.  The merchandise manager said that they were flying off the rack with all the rain we've had in the Dallas area and that she had placed a large order recently in case that none of the few which were left fit properly.  I didn't see the styling when I tried the only one sized the equivalent of Large (Trump and I have that in common), but it sure felt good and unrestrained when I took a few swings in the shop.  Getting over the sticker shock was made much easier when my son reminded me that I had an important birthday coming up.  I now own the most expensive two items of clothing purchased in my life.  Perhaps they'll be able to bury me in it.

Thanks again for all the input.     

SL_Solow

« Reply #33 on: May 27, 2021, 05:43:10 PM »
Lou,

If that is the ultimate use, here's hoping it will be a very old rainsuit the last time that it is worn.

Steve Lang

« Reply #34 on: May 27, 2021, 07:12:19 PM »
 8)  Lou,

You know you could have bought a vinyl pancho for $5...  just saying, Happy BDAY!
Inverness (Toledo, OH) cathedral clock inscription: "God measures men by what they are. Not what they in wealth possess.  That vibrant message chimes afar.
The voice of Inverness"

Lou_Duran

« Reply #35 on: May 27, 2021, 08:05:18 PM »
Lou,

If that is the ultimate use, here's hoping it will be a very old rainsuit the last time that it is worn.

SL,

Thanks.  I am not nearly as much in a hurry today as I was, say, 10 years ago.  If I am still wearing my new rain suit in Scotland 10 years from now, it will have been an excellent purchase.

Lou_Duran

« Reply #36 on: May 27, 2021, 08:10:01 PM »
8)  Lou,

You know you could have bought a vinyl pancho for $5...  just saying, Happy BDAY!

Hard to swing in a pancho, or a skirt, come to think of it.  In this matter, I chose to believe that you get what you pay for.  That it didn't quite work that way when I was fitted for a full set of clubs in 2019 does not suggest madness, but newly found optimism. 

mike_beene

« Reply #37 on: May 28, 2021, 12:06:28 AM »
Happy birthday Lou! Here is the real question: will you only take one rain suit now that made the investment?I don’t see you buying two, not wanting to wear one that doesn’t work.

David_Tepper

Lou_Duran

« Reply #39 on: May 28, 2021, 01:26:27 PM »
Happy birthday Lou! Here is the real question: will you only take one rain suit now that made the investment?I don’t see you buying two, not wanting to wear one that doesn’t work.

Thanks.  But it is not for a while and I am not in a hurry anyways.

I always rotate shoes and rain suits each day when I travel to the UK.  Right now I need to digest what I have before venturing into the marketplace.  I may try to "re-GoreTex" my Titleist pants and Zero-Restriction top, but I am becoming a bit impulsive in my old age, so who knows.

David Tepper,

I don't need any help with my buyer's remorse.  I am glad to see that the Kjus was cheaper than two or three of those recommended in your link.  I remain a value consumer!

Craig Sweet

« Reply #40 on: June 01, 2021, 11:12:40 PM »
When I was a greenkeeper I wore nothing but Red Ledge rain gear. Inexpensive, well made, and NEVER leaked...Top and bottoms for under $125 

https://www.redledge.com
LOCK HIM UP!!!

David_Tepper

Tommy Williamsen

« Reply #42 on: June 17, 2021, 09:59:41 AM »
I have Foot Joy  stuff but really don't need it much anymore. I have learned to stay out of the rain.
Where there is no love, put love; there you will find love.
St. John of the Cross

"Deep within your soul-space is a magnificent cathedral where you are sweet beyond telling." Rumi

Steve_ Shaffer

« Reply #43 on: June 17, 2021, 10:30:58 AM »
"Some of us worship in churches, some in synagogues, some on golf courses ... "  Adlai Stevenson
Hyman Roth to Michael Corleone: "We're bigger than US Steel."
Ben Hogan “The most important shot in golf is the next one”

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back