News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Tom_Doak

A Theory of Bunkering
« on: November 27, 2019, 01:21:12 PM »
As most of you know, I don't often start theoretical topics here, because I don't like to be tied down to anything when I am out building a golf course.

But I promised last week I might post this, and I have officially tired from discussing rankings, so, here it is:  my theory of bunkering.

Years ago, when the Slope System for course rating was just being introduced, Pete Dye had me spend a day with the main statistician behind it, Dean Knuth, to see if he had learned something from the data that should alter how we design golf holes.

Mostly, it’s a gross oversimplification.  In fact, strategic design seemed to be mostly omitted from the numbers, as if people’s misses were entirely at random, instead of in predictable patterns.  The difficulty rating for green side bunkering, for example, references what percentage of the green is surrounded by bunkers — but it doesn’t matter what side they are on!  And the difficulty rating for fairway bunkers is all based on how many bunkers are in play 250 yards or 200 yards off the given tee — other distances are ignored.

Last year, when we started working on the design for Memorial Park, at the suggestion of a couple of other GCA posters, I dug into Mark Broadie’s book, which outlines how the pros attack a course.  Those concepts were mostly reinforced by my conversations with Brooks Koepka, and with Butch and Claude Harmon.  Tour pros decide their aim points based on water hazards, boundaries, or obstacles [trees] that would cost them a shot if they get tangled up.  Today's perfectly groomed bunkers [unless of the revetted variety] just don’t rise to that level of hazard.  If Brooks is in the sand 150 yards from the green, it’s better than being in the rough; if he’s in a bunker by the green, he’s “trying to hole it.”  That was the rationale for not building many bunkers at Memorial Park.

However, if you extend Mark Broadie’s logic to the average golfer, bunkers for them are a real menace, and strategic bunker positioning should have a huge impact on the lines of play — more and more so for the bad bunker player.  Women golfers seem to understand this — they aim away from bunkers like the plague.  But most men do not give bunkers near enough leeway, and pay the price.

Of course, if you surround the green with bunkers - or just put one to either side - then for the “C” player who struggles with bunker play, you are only offering two options:  either aim to the center of the green, or lay up short of the bunkers.  A course which kept presenting those two choices would get boring pretty quickly.

All of this dovetails nicely with my own lifelong preference in bunkering, which is to *almost* always try to make the bunkers next to a green look imbalanced and asymmetrical.

There are three reasons for this approach:

1.  Asymmetrical positioning looks more natural.  [Nature is not formal:  that’s why I hate the Biarritz hole.]

2.  As Mr. Dye taught me, even the professionals tend to hedge toward safety when they see it, and the only thing you can really do to make the approach shot harder for them is to try and get them to aim away from the hole.  So the question is whether they really do not think about the bunkers at all.  If they think about them even a tiny bit, then a bunker hard up against one side of the green will get them aiming to the other side.

3.  For the average player, I am always giving them a safer side to bail out to, if they are not up to the challenge.  Occasionally, that bailout might be “long”, but I would guess that I’ve only built one or two holes per course [if not less] that really gave you no miss but to lay up.  This also tends to deliver a very low Slope Rating to my courses, not that I really care.  Opting out of taking on the trouble is not going to produce a very low score, but I'm okay if it's easier for the average guy to break 100.

As to fairway bunkering, following the same logic, it’s pretty rare for me to bunker both sides of a fairway.  I will do it occasionally, just for variety, or where the landforms are compelling, or because I’m trying to make you hit away from something.

When we did pinch the landing area on the 9th hole at Sebonack, left and right, I was startled to find out that Jack Nicklaus objected quite strongly to that.  He said he NEVER pinches a fairway like that; instead, he will stagger bunkers up the fairway - left at 220 yards, right at 265, left at 300 - to make the player choose a side.  [I did not ask him, but there was a quote from Jack a long time ago how he used to play exhibitions on new RTJ courses back in the 1960’s and how much he hated the un-strategic bunkering in the landing areas - I’m guessing he vowed never to do that.]

I admire Jack’s idea, in theory, but any theory does start to become repetitive after a while, and more importantly, the landforms do not often set up at the perfect distances for you to follow his approach.  I tend to place fairway bunkers where the landforms suggest them, and design the rest of the hole around that.  [Of course, I have set myself up for that by routing a hole seeing where the potential bunkers might be.]

I do love seeing cross bunkers and interrupted fairways, on older courses, but it is very hard to incorporate them into modern designs because they inevitably don’t work well for one tee or another.  I know that Gil Hanse likes to build a “great hazard” into his courses, so apparently I did not do a good enough job of drilling into him what Alice Dye drilled into me about how debilitating such features can be for women golfers.  [If you have never had to chip up to the edge of a hazard so you could try to carry it with your next shot, you’re in no position to @ me.]  I get a lot of compliments from women golfers about our work, and most of the credit for that should go to Pete and Alice [and to my mom, who was one of those players Alice was concerned about].

So, those are my tendencies in bunkering.  If I had an intern handy, I’d have him sketch out a few of my holes as illustrations, but if you look at Google Earth you will see how rarely Pacific Dunes has fairway bunkers on both sides of holes, or bunkers even 1/4 of the way around the greens.  As George Thomas observed, even if the bunker is shallow and not much penalty for those in it, it poses a significant challenge to all the players who miss wide of it and have to pitch over it to the green, so I tend to be sparing with my greenside bunkers.

I have realized over the years this is why a lot of people think my par-3 holes are not up to snuff — because a lot of famous par-3 holes are virtually surrounded by trouble, and mine nearly always give you an out.  [Even the 7th at Barnbougle.]  And I have started bunkering my par-3’s more tightly, since it’s easier to rationalize that you have more control over where various golfers are approaching from.  But there are still lots of golfers who can’t fly the ball 140 yards to a target and make it stop, and they tend to be the same people who really struggle out of bunkers, so, I’ll take the heat for giving them a way to play the hole.

Please note that these are my strong tendencies, not absolute rules of design.  I make exceptions wherever I see fit, and my associates sometimes get a bit carried away when I’m gone [especially the younger ones].  But the rationale behind my approach is pretty strong, and I feel that it’s one of the things that sets my work apart, that no one has ever pointed out in print.

Just for fun, I looked at the three courses at Streamsong, to see if we were all different in our approach to green side bunkering.  I was surprised to find that the Red course was pretty similar to the Blue - Bill does tend to put bunkers front-and-center more than I do, but most of his greens have an open side, as I described.  The Black course, also, has a lot of short grass around the greens, which are already ginormous because some of what was planned as chipping area is mowed at green height.  So I guess, in that sense at least, we are all minimalists at heart, and don’t feel like it is always necessary to introduce a bunker to make the hole interesting.

Peter Pallotta

Re: A Theory of Bunkering
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2019, 02:06:48 PM »
"3.  For the average player, I am always giving them a safer side to bail out to, if they are not up to the challenge.  Occasionally, that bailout might be “long”, but I would guess that I’ve only built one or two holes per course [if not less] that really gave you no miss but to lay up.  This also tends to deliver a very low Slope Rating to my courses, not that I really care.  Opting out of taking on the trouble is not going to produce a very low score, but I'm okay if it's easier for the average guy to break 100."

Tom - this was most interesting to me. For the card-and-pencil types, the truth [or at least the 'truth' as I experience it in myself and the majority of average-to-decent golfers with whom I've played] is that our 'scores' are usually the kindest and most generous way to analyze our rounds. We always know, in our heart of hearts, how we actually 'played' on a given day -- and that metric, more often then not, paints a less rosy picture of where we're at with our games than do our scores. And it often tells us [though we don't share it with others, or sometimes even with ourselves] that the bogey we walked off the green with on a hole like the one you describe was not in fact caused by a 'slightly yanked putt' or a 'less than our best chip' or by a 'very tough green to read' or an 'almost unfair pin placement', but instead by the choice -- or accident -- of bailing out long, a choice we made because we don't have the confidence and/or may not have the skill to take on and challenge the 'less safe' side. But as I say, we don't often admit that to ourselves, opting to blame a momentary lapse in talent and then to (almost happily) 'mark down a 5' or 'take a 6' rather than to recognize that the architecture itself, the design, presented us with a 'problem' we were unable and/or unwilling to successfully 'solve'. And why is that? Because that recognition, coupled with the course's low Slope Rating, would show us much too clearly for our tastes how good -- i.e. not so good -- we are at the game of golf.

All of which is to say: I think the complaints by some decent golfers about courses having a low Slope Rating are usually & merely the last refuge of the delusional, and of the intentionally self-deluded! Present company excluded  :)    
« Last Edit: November 27, 2019, 02:14:47 PM by Peter Pallotta »

Peter Flory

« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2019, 02:36:02 PM »
The pros really are ridiculous out of the sand.  In that area, the gulf between them and even a scratch amateur tournament player is massive.  I attribute it to the modern perfect sand.  It is so good that a pro can nearly master it through practice because the lies are always the same. 

I've seen many courses switch sand from the old fluffy brown stuff to the best sand and the courses have become easier due to it. 

The one course where I still fear the bunkers and actively avoid them is Lawsonia.  Part of it is that the lies are unpredictable due to their conditioning, but the flat lies with the big grass walls are just a difficult combination.  On most courses, in a tournament setting, I do game plan around fairway bunkers, but not really greenside.  The reason is that you can select difference distances to hit it off the tee with a certain degree of reliability.  On approach shots, it is more whether you hit it well or have a random miss.

Kalen Braley

« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2019, 02:38:25 PM »
Tom:

Excellent post, so much to unpack and chew on.  A few thoughts from a high capper who fits the description of your average player, especially with how poorly i recover from fairway bunkers:

1)  While I agree that bunkers are certainly something that we avoid,(speaking for myself only), I don't avoid them in the same ways.  For example a straight forward green-side bunker with a relatively easy recovery to a flattish green is barely something I even factor on the approach shot, especially if it won't leave me short sided.  But a big nasty steep bunker where the top of the flagstick is barely visible is an entirely different animal all together.  Sometimes I avoid these even more than a water hazard, (which i knows sounds illogical).

2)  It seems you build "more difficult than average" bunkers for the weekend joe and they certainly get my attention.  And I don't have a problem with this, if you're gonna put a hazard in place, may as well be such. The most difficult of these as I recall were at Pac Dunes, especially the green side bunkers above the green where you're left with a downhill shot to a green running away from you. For a high capper these are just brutal like the one at 16 PD where it ended as a ESC pickup.   :)   In general thou, your bunkers certainly seem to defend par better than most, but perhaps that's just due to most of my rounds being played on DS 2-4 public courses.

3) I think where a lot of high cappers get in trouble with green side bunkers is wanting to make that perfect recovery to save par, which is often a fools errand.  I almost always just try to make sure i'm out, somewhere on the green within 20 feet or so, and taking double out of the equation.

P.S.  Not trying to throw shade, but you have built at least two Biarritz greens that I know of, which seems odd give your disdain of them.  ;)
« Last Edit: November 27, 2019, 02:40:08 PM by Kalen Braley »

Thomas Dai

« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2019, 02:42:32 PM »
Fascinating subject. One of the great puzzles within golf, the interface between options, temptation, course management, visuals and upkeep.
What's shown in the photo below might make a few tour pros (and others) approach the game in a different way although I believe something similar was tried at the Memorial Tournament some time ago and it didn't go down well with the pampered ones.
And of course there's always the situation where the bunker isn't the worst hazard ... the worst hazard being on the opposite side of the fairway/green, the side where the players thinks it's safer to go.
atb

« Last Edit: November 27, 2019, 02:47:19 PM by Thomas Dai »

Lou_Duran

« Reply #5 on: November 27, 2019, 02:59:13 PM »
Questions:

1. What landforms are sufficiently compelling to site a bunker?

2. Do you believe that it is possible to design a course that challenges the Tour pro while still being fun for the 15 handicapper? (i.e. that the winning score for the former will be south of -20 (-10 to -19) and that the latter can shoot <100 from the daily tees under similar conditions.)

3. Will Memorial be an example of this?  Can you cite others?

4. Are bunkers in heavy soil sites even necessary?  Because of tradition, expectations, or as genuine design features that add challenge, variety and interest?
« Last Edit: November 27, 2019, 03:06:37 PM by Lou_Duran »

Michael Felton

« Reply #6 on: November 27, 2019, 03:00:53 PM »
Wonderful post Tom.

One of the holes on the course I grew up on is much like this at the greensite. Left of the green is a bunker. Right of it is open. From the fairway it looks like the obvious place to miss it is to the right. But to the right are mounds and the green slopes from right to left, so the ball is running away from you from a potentially awkward lie. I have a suspicion that the average score on the hole is higher than it would be if the bunker were on both sides of the green. Ever since then I've thought it particularly clever of the architect to entice someone away from the green, but putting them in a bad spot when they do.

An extreme version of this is 13 at Pine Valley. You stand in that fairway with a longish iron and you're got all of New Jersey to the right and the end of the world to the left. I played that hole three times and I couldn't get myself to hit it anywhere other than 10 yards right of the green. Then you've got just an awful shot from up there with the green sharply sloping away from you. Such a difficult hole, but again I think it would be easier if the green was surrounded by the bunkers (like say 7 is).

Tom_Doak

« Reply #7 on: November 27, 2019, 03:21:32 PM »

2)  It seems you build "more difficult than average" bunkers for the weekend joe and they certainly get my attention.  And I don't have a problem with this, if you're gonna put a hazard in place, may as well be such. The most difficult of these as I recall were at Pac Dunes, especially the green side bunkers above the green where you're left with a downhill shot to a green running away from you. For a high capper these are just brutal like the one at 16 PD where it ended as a ESC pickup.

I agree that the downhill shot out of a bunker is particularly difficult for poorer golfers -- and for me, personally.  For that reason I have usually minimized building them.  Pacific Dunes probably has the most of any of my courses, because I was going for the full MacKenzie look, and he loved those bunkers behind the green.

Tom_Doak

« Reply #8 on: November 27, 2019, 03:42:14 PM »
Lou:

Answers in red.

Questions:

1. What landforms are sufficiently compelling to site a bunker?
     It depends on the hole, but for the most part I prefer to build bunkers into an abrupt natural rise or shoulder.

2. Do you believe that it is possible to design a course that challenges the Tour pro while still being fun for the 15 handicapper? (i.e. that the winning score for the former will be south of -20 (-10 to -19) and that the latter can shoot <100 from the daily tees under similar conditions.)
     Scoring is SO dependent on weather [ie wind and firm surfaces] that it's difficult to answer this question.  Most GCA posters who have played The Renaissance Club would attest that it is a pretty hard course by my standards, yet when they had soft conditions and little wind, there were several guys at -20 or better.  I don't really care if they shoot those scores, as long as the players have to grind on some holes, but there wasn't much of that at the Scottish Open this summer.

3. Will Memorial be an example of this?  Can you cite others?
     Our focus for Memorial Park was to have an exciting finish.  The 13th and 17th are both potentially drivable par-4 holes; the 14th a short par-5, and the 16th a dangerous but reachable 5; and the 15th is a 140-yard par-3 with lots of trouble around it.  All of those holes could see three-shot lead swings, but they aren't going to "defend par" that well, and that does not bother us.
     Memorial Park DID have some trees for us to work with, but the corridors were wide enough that the pros can play away from them.  The main courses that deliver what you have asked are parkland courses like Riviera or those in the northeast, where a wayward drive will cost the Tour pro.  But most sites for new courses don't have big trees like that to work with.  Achieving what you asked for on an open site is getting almost impossible any more:  you've got to dry the place out and get lucky with some wind, or somebody's going to shoot -20. 

4. Are bunkers in heavy soil sites even necessary?  Because of tradition, expectations, or as genuine design features that add challenge, variety and interest?
     They are not necessary, but at Memorial we started with 56 bunkers, and we thought people would have a fit if we took it to zero.  So we wound up at nineteen. 
     I do think you can have plenty of GOLFING challenge, variety and interest using other features besides bunkers.  But I question whether most sites would provide enough VISUAL variety and interest without some amount of bunkering:  I think the feedback would be, "all the holes look the same".  This is particularly true of golf holes that are lined both sides by trees [or homes!] . . . indeed I got started on my bunker-happy days at Black Forest, because we thought that the course would just feel dark without some beautiful white sand for contrast.
     I can't help but think how many people have told me that the 16th at Crystal Downs is their least favorite hole because there is "no strategy" to it, when they really just mean it's a par-5 with no fairway bunkers.
     I am working on a project in California now that has all sorts of other features to provide interest:  rock outcroppings, cliffs, streams, big oaks, little oaks, tawny native roughs, vineyards, etc.  If ever there was a site that didn't really need bunkers, it's the one.  But I'm not sure if the client will be comfortable with that, and there are a few places where a bunker would make a better transition from the green to the stream than a "buffer zone" of long grass they won't let us mow.  So I doubt we will wind up at zero bunkers there.  I bet we have less than nineteen.

Ira Fishman

« Reply #9 on: November 27, 2019, 03:51:58 PM »
Tom,

Streamsong Blue 17 and 18 have a version of a great hazard. On 17 it provides a difficult but reasonable dilemma for all but perhaps the longest hitters regardless of tee selection. On 18 though, unless a man or strong woman player is playing from the incorrect tees, the bunkers seem to affect primarily the average woman player. I believe my wife navigated to the left. It is a fitting finish to the course precisely because it is different from much of the rest (same reason I liked number 9), but I do wonder about the bunkers as they relate to women in light of your OP.

Ira

« Last Edit: November 27, 2019, 03:57:16 PM by Ira Fishman »

BCrosby

« Reply #10 on: November 27, 2019, 03:54:17 PM »

Wonderful stuff Tom. Theories of bunker placement aren't written about much these days. Most talk today is about the 'look' of bunkers: the shape of their brows, the artistry of their caps and bays, their filigree edges, the whiteness of the sand and so forth. So it's good to hear someone spend time on his thinking about why he puts bunkers where he does. It is, after all, the only attribute of a bunker that affects how you play a hole.

Your post is reminder that theories of how bunkers should be located were central to early debates about strategic golf architecture. Starting about 1901 (Low, Colt) and over the next couple of decades clashes over different theories of how bunkers should be placed was one of the key fights in golf architecture. There were relatively few references in those fights to the 'look' of bunkers. I have always assumed that was because bunker aesthetics was not seen as an important issue. There were bigger fish to fry. I note with pleasure that you also have relatively little to say about bunker aesthetics.     

Peter - The below is wonderful. It reminds me of a Bernard Darwin essay (forget the title) in which he confesses that he should be negotiating bunkers like a "timid rabbit", but also confesses that he is doesn't do so because of how embarrassing it would be to be seen laying up or playing safe. My read of his essay is that for all the talk about strategic choices, it is often concerns over getting razed by your buddies that wins out.     

"3.  For the average player, I am always giving them a safer side to bail out to, if they are not up to the challenge.  Occasionally, that bailout might be “long”, but I would guess that I’ve only built one or two holes per course [if not less] that really gave you no miss but to lay up.  This also tends to deliver a very low Slope Rating to my courses, not that I really care.  Opting out of taking on the trouble is not going to produce a very low score, but I'm okay if it's easier for the average guy to break 100."

... We always know, in our heart of hearts, how we actually 'played' on a given day -- and that metric, more often then not, paints a less rosy picture of where we're at with our games than do our scores. And it often tells us [though we don't share it with others, or sometimes even with ourselves] that the bogey we walked off the green with on a hole like the one you describe was not in fact caused by a 'slightly yanked putt' or a 'less than our best chip' or by a 'very tough green to read' or an 'almost unfair pin placement', but instead by the choice -- or accident -- of bailing out long, a choice we made because we don't have the confidence and/or may not have the skill to take on and challenge the 'less safe' side. But as I say, we don't often admit that to ourselves, opting to blame a momentary lapse in talent and then to (almost happily) 'mark down a 5' or 'take a 6' rather than to recognize that the architecture itself, the design, presented us with a 'problem' we were unable and/or unwilling to successfully 'solve'. And why is that? Because that recognition, coupled with the course's low Slope Rating, would show us much too clearly for our tastes how good -- i.e. not so good -- we are at the game of golf.
All of which is to say: I think the complaints by some decent golfers about courses having a low Slope Rating are usually & merely the last refuge of the delusional, and of the intentionally self-deluded! Present company excluded  :)    

Mark_Fine

« Reply #11 on: November 27, 2019, 03:57:38 PM »
Great stuff Tom!!  Thanks for sharing your insights.  I am just off a job site myself.  I might even share your post/thoughts when I go back with some of the course's management.  When all finished, we will end up with around 30 bunkers vs the 40 the course had before the renovation.  Every bunker that remains will have been either added/rebuilt/reshaped/repositioned,..., impacted in some way.  It was an old Gordon course and very formulaic (greenside bunkers right and left on almost every hole) which I really don't care for.  Frankly your thought process with bunkers is similar to what I have employed.   

Tom_Doak

« Reply #12 on: November 27, 2019, 04:25:10 PM »
Tom,

Streamsong Blue 16 and 18 have a version of a great hazard. On 16, it provides a difficult but reasonable dilemma for all but perhaps the longest hitters regardless of tee selection. On 18 though, unless a man or strong woman player is playing from the incorrect tees, the bunkers seem to affect primarily the average woman player. I believe my wife navigated to the left. It is a fitting finish to the course precisely because it is different from much of the rest (same reason I liked number 9), but I do wonder about the bunkers as they relate to women in light of your OP.

Ira

Ira:

I think you mean 17 and 18.  Yes, they are exceptions to my rule of thumb.  The 18th is probably excessive, but if you can't carry the bunker you are not going to get home in two, anyway, and it's only 100 yards if you lay up and take your medicine.  In that sense, it's kind of a scaled-down version of the 17th, where you and I have to lay up pretty close to the fairway bunkers with our second if we want to get home in three.

Thomas Dai

« Reply #13 on: November 27, 2019, 04:29:57 PM »
I'd be interested in folks thoughts on this - the bunker on the 2nd hole at Cleeve Cloud in relation to the hole, which is circa 360 yds uphill and usually into the wind, the green surrounds, the contours of the putting surface, the general slope and the overall terrain.
Bunker above green. No bunker below.
Options, temptation, course management, up-n-down potential/challenge, rainwater runoff, visuals, construction, upkeep etc.

The hole plays-in diagonally up the hill from the left in the first photo.

atb

Carl Rogers

« Reply #14 on: November 27, 2019, 05:00:36 PM »
Much of this discussion should occur within the context of bunker maintenance.  If Tour Pros had to play out non-maintained bunkers, like many us, they would be aim away.from them.
I decline to accept the end of man. ... William Faulkner

Sean_A

« Reply #15 on: November 28, 2019, 04:38:14 AM »
I'd be interested in folks thoughts on this - the bunker on the 2nd hole at Cleeve Cloud in relation to the hole, which is circa 360 yds uphill and usually into the wind, the green surrounds, the contours of the putting surface, the general slope and the overall terrain.
Bunker above green. No bunker below.
Options, temptation, course management, up-n-down potential/challenge, rainwater runoff, visuals, construction, upkeep etc.

The hole plays-in diagonally up the hill from the left in the first photo.

atb

ATB

Lets put it this way. In its current form I would rather the bunker was removed. I don't know how the bunker could be visually improved while being meaningful and easy to maintain, but I am confident good archies can pull it off. That said, I am not sure that is the place for sand. I could see a Kington like earthwork serving the green better.

Generally, Cleeve Cloud should remove greenside bunkers and add fairway bunkers. I have said it before, but a new bunker scheme at Cleeve Cloud would work wonders.

Happy Thanksgiving
New plays planned for 2024: Dunfanaghy, Fraserburgh, Hankley Common, Ashridge, Gog Magog Old & Cruden Bay St Olaf

Ira Fishman

« Reply #16 on: November 28, 2019, 09:11:59 AM »
As most of you know, I don't often start theoretical topics here, because I don't like to be tied down to anything when I am out building a golf course.

But I promised last week I might post this, and I have officially tired from discussing rankings, so, here it is:  my theory of bunkering.

Years ago, when the Slope System for course rating was just being introduced, Pete Dye had me spend a day with the main statistician behind it, Dean Knuth, to see if he had learned something from the data that should alter how we design golf holes.

Mostly, it’s a gross oversimplification.  In fact, strategic design seemed to be mostly omitted from the numbers, as if people’s misses were entirely at random, instead of in predictable patterns.  The difficulty rating for green side bunkering, for example, references what percentage of the green is surrounded by bunkers — but it doesn’t matter what side they are on!  And the difficulty rating for fairway bunkers is all based on how many bunkers are in play 250 yards or 200 yards off the given tee — other distances are ignored.

Last year, when we started working on the design for Memorial Park, at the suggestion of a couple of other GCA posters, I dug into Mark Broadie’s book, which outlines how the pros attack a course.  Those concepts were mostly reinforced by my conversations with Brooks Koepka, and with Butch and Claude Harmon.  Tour pros decide their aim points based on water hazards, boundaries, or obstacles [trees] that would cost them a shot if they get tangled up.  Today's perfectly groomed bunkers [unless of the revetted variety] just don’t rise to that level of hazard.  If Brooks is in the sand 150 yards from the green, it’s better than being in the rough; if he’s in a bunker by the green, he’s “trying to hole it.”  That was the rationale for not building many bunkers at Memorial Park.

However, if you extend Mark Broadie’s logic to the average golfer, bunkers for them are a real menace, and strategic bunker positioning should have a huge impact on the lines of play — more and more so for the bad bunker player.  Women golfers seem to understand this — they aim away from bunkers like the plague.  But most men do not give bunkers near enough leeway, and pay the price.

Of course, if you surround the green with bunkers - or just put one to either side - then for the “C” player who struggles with bunker play, you are only offering two options:  either aim to the center of the green, or lay up short of the bunkers.  A course which kept presenting those two choices would get boring pretty quickly.

All of this dovetails nicely with my own lifelong preference in bunkering, which is to *almost* always try to make the bunkers next to a green look imbalanced and asymmetrical.

There are three reasons for this approach:

1.  Asymmetrical positioning looks more natural.  [Nature is not formal:  that’s why I hate the Biarritz hole.]

2.  As Mr. Dye taught me, even the professionals tend to hedge toward safety when they see it, and the only thing you can really do to make the approach shot harder for them is to try and get them to aim away from the hole.  So the question is whether they really do not think about the bunkers at all.  If they think about them even a tiny bit, then a bunker hard up against one side of the green will get them aiming to the other side.

3.  For the average player, I am always giving them a safer side to bail out to, if they are not up to the challenge.  Occasionally, that bailout might be “long”, but I would guess that I’ve only built one or two holes per course [if not less] that really gave you no miss but to lay up.  This also tends to deliver a very low Slope Rating to my courses, not that I really care.  Opting out of taking on the trouble is not going to produce a very low score, but I'm okay if it's easier for the average guy to break 100.

As to fairway bunkering, following the same logic, it’s pretty rare for me to bunker both sides of a fairway.  I will do it occasionally, just for variety, or where the landforms are compelling, or because I’m trying to make you hit away from something.

When we did pinch the landing area on the 9th hole at Sebonack, left and right, I was startled to find out that Jack Nicklaus objected quite strongly to that.  He said he NEVER pinches a fairway like that; instead, he will stagger bunkers up the fairway - left at 220 yards, right at 265, left at 300 - to make the player choose a side.  [I did not ask him, but there was a quote from Jack a long time ago how he used to play exhibitions on new RTJ courses back in the 1960’s and how much he hated the un-strategic bunkering in the landing areas - I’m guessing he vowed never to do that.]

I admire Jack’s idea, in theory, but any theory does start to become repetitive after a while, and more importantly, the landforms do not often set up at the perfect distances for you to follow his approach.  I tend to place fairway bunkers where the landforms suggest them, and design the rest of the hole around that.  [Of course, I have set myself up for that by routing a hole seeing where the potential bunkers might be.]

I do love seeing cross bunkers and interrupted fairways, on older courses, but it is very hard to incorporate them into modern designs because they inevitably don’t work well for one tee or another.  I know that Gil Hanse likes to build a “great hazard” into his courses, so apparently I did not do a good enough job of drilling into him what Alice Dye drilled into me about how debilitating such features can be for women golfers.  [If you have never had to chip up to the edge of a hazard so you could try to carry it with your next shot, you’re in no position to @ me.]  I get a lot of compliments from women golfers about our work, and most of the credit for that should go to Pete and Alice [and to my mom, who was one of those players Alice was concerned about].

So, those are my tendencies in bunkering.  If I had an intern handy, I’d have him sketch out a few of my holes as illustrations, but if you look at Google Earth you will see how rarely Pacific Dunes has fairway bunkers on both sides of holes, or bunkers even 1/4 of the way around the greens.  As George Thomas observed, even if the bunker is shallow and not much penalty for those in it, it poses a significant challenge to all the players who miss wide of it and have to pitch over it to the green, so I tend to be sparing with my greenside bunkers.

I have realized over the years this is why a lot of people think my par-3 holes are not up to snuff — because a lot of famous par-3 holes are virtually surrounded by trouble, and mine nearly always give you an out.  [Even the 7th at Barnbougle.]  And I have started bunkering my par-3’s more tightly, since it’s easier to rationalize that you have more control over where various golfers are approaching from.  But there are still lots of golfers who can’t fly the ball 140 yards to a target and make it stop, and they tend to be the same people who really struggle out of bunkers, so, I’ll take the heat for giving them a way to play the hole.

Please note that these are my strong tendencies, not absolute rules of design.  I make exceptions wherever I see fit, and my associates sometimes get a bit carried away when I’m gone [especially the younger ones].  But the rationale behind my approach is pretty strong, and I feel that it’s one of the things that sets my work apart, that no one has ever pointed out in print.

Just for fun, I looked at the three courses at Streamsong, to see if we were all different in our approach to green side bunkering.  I was surprised to find that the Red course was pretty similar to the Blue - Bill does tend to put bunkers front-and-center more than I do, but most of his greens have an open side, as I described.  The Black course, also, has a lot of short grass around the greens, which are already ginormous because some of what was planned as chipping area is mowed at green height.  So I guess, in that sense at least, we are all minimalists at heart, and don’t feel like it is always necessary to introduce a bunker to make the hole interesting.

Tom,

You do not directly cover centerline bunkers. There are several at Streamsong Blue (particularly appreciated the one on number 8 and a few at Pacific Dunes. Do you have a philosophy or tendency about them? Are Par 4s and Par 5s different?

Thanks,

Ira
« Last Edit: November 28, 2019, 09:59:09 AM by Ira Fishman »

Tom_Doak

« Reply #17 on: November 28, 2019, 09:50:55 AM »

Tom,

You do not directly cover centerline bunkers. There are several at Streamsong Blue (particularly appreciated the one on number 8) and a few at Pacific Dunes. Do you have a philosophy or tendency about them? Are Par 4s and Par 5s different?

Centerline bunkers seem appropriate to me in settings where you have plenty of width, but much less so when the golf corridors are narrowed by trees or dunes, where they effectively become cross bunkers.

I prefer to use them on shorter par-4's [where laying up does not put you out of range of the green], or on the second shots of par-5's [same reason, plus on the second shot you are not as obviously punishing a player of a certain length]. 

I have occasionally used them in the drive zone for longer holes, but when you do that you have to choose who you are messing with and who you are giving a pass:  the guy who hits it 240, or 270, or 300?  I'd rather not be that proscriptive.

Thomas Dai

« Reply #18 on: November 28, 2019, 10:31:53 AM »
Tom,
You do not directly cover centerline bunkers. There are several at Streamsong Blue (particularly appreciated the one on number 8) and a few at Pacific Dunes. Do you have a philosophy or tendency about them? Are Par 4s and Par 5s different?
Centerline bunkers seem appropriate to me in settings where you have plenty of width, but much less so when the golf corridors are narrowed by trees or dunes, where they effectively become cross bunkers.
I prefer to use them on shorter par-4's [where laying up does not put you out of range of the green], or on the second shots of par-5's [same reason, plus on the second shot you are not as obviously punishing a player of a certain length]. 
I have occasionally used them in the drive zone for longer holes, but when you do that you have to choose who you are messing with and who you are giving a pass:  the guy who hits it 240, or 270, or 300?  I'd rather not be that proscriptive.
I like centre line bunkers as distinct from 90* crossing bunkers which I pretty much detest. However, it's interesting how the classic centre line bunkers at the Principal's Nose on the 16th at TOC get (rightly imo) a lot a praise and seem to have been regularly copied but the centre line bunkers on the par-5 6th at Carnoustie don't seem to particularly attract praise (or be copied).
Both nastily penal if you get in them and both have a narrow alley between them and the OB and lots of space on the other more open side.
Is it because the 16th at TOC is a par-4, and it's a kind of a golfing convention, one I happen to disagree with, that it's okay to lay-up or carefully position a tee shot on a par-4 whereas on a par-5 it's more conventional that players should 'wack it' rather play more positionally?
atb

Tom_Doak

« Reply #19 on: November 29, 2019, 10:03:23 AM »
it's interesting how the classic centre line bunkers at the Principal's Nose on the 16th at TOC get (rightly imo) a lot a praise and seem to have been regularly copied but the centre line bunkers on the par-5 6th at Carnoustie don't seem to particularly attract praise (or be copied).
Both nastily penal if you get in them and both have a narrow alley between them and the OB and lots of space on the other more open side.
Is it because the 16th at TOC is a par-4, and it's a kind of a golfing convention, one I happen to disagree with, that it's okay to lay-up or carefully position a tee shot on a par-4 whereas on a par-5 it's more conventional that players should 'wack it' rather play more positionally?

I did build a couple of par-5 holes early in my career with a Principal's Nose-type feature -- if you laid up short of it, you had no chance to get home in two.  I thought it was a great idea, because if you did go in the bunker, being able to hit the bunker shot a little farther was massively important to getting home in three.  No one I know ever told me they liked those holes, though.  :(

Thomas Dai

« Reply #20 on: November 29, 2019, 10:14:37 AM »
it's interesting how the classic centre line bunkers at the Principal's Nose on the 16th at TOC get (rightly imo) a lot a praise and seem to have been regularly copied but the centre line bunkers on the par-5 6th at Carnoustie don't seem to particularly attract praise (or be copied).
I did build a couple of par-5 holes early in my career with a Principal's Nose-type feature -- if you laid up short of it, you had no chance to get home in two.  I thought it was a great idea, because if you did go in the bunker, being able to hit the bunker shot a little farther was massively important to getting home in three.  No one I know ever told me they liked those holes, though.  :(
Rather sad. And somewhat of an indicement of players expectations and thought processes. :(
Atb

Erik J. Barzeski

« Reply #21 on: November 29, 2019, 08:44:34 PM »
Today's perfectly groomed bunkers [unless of the revetted variety] just don’t rise to that level of hazard.  If Brooks is in the sand 150 yards from the green, it’s better than being in the rough; if he’s in a bunker by the green, he’s “trying to hole it.”  That was the rationale for not building many bunkers at Memorial Park.

150 yards out and:
FWY: 76.1% GIR, 25'3" average proximity.
RGH: 46.6%, 52'10"
BNK: 45.2%, 67'9"

From greenside, he might be thinking of holing it, but odds are he's going to make as many threes from there as pars, and will almost never hole it.
Erik J. Barzeski @iacas
Author, Lowest Score Wins, Instructor/Coach, and Lifetime Student of the Game.

I generally ignore Rob, Tim, and Garland.

Tom_Doak

« Reply #22 on: November 29, 2019, 09:14:08 PM »
Today's perfectly groomed bunkers [unless of the revetted variety] just don’t rise to that level of hazard.  If Brooks is in the sand 150 yards from the green, it’s better than pretty much the same as being in the rough; if he’s in a bunker by the green, he’s “trying to hole it.”  That was the rationale for not building many bunkers at Memorial Park.

150 yards out and:
FWY: 76.1% GIR, 25'3" average proximity.
RGH: 46.6%, 52'10"
BNK: 45.2%, 67'9"

From greenside, he might be thinking of holing it, but odds are he's going to make as many threes from there as pars, and will almost never hole it.

My statement is amended above.  Also, those stats are for the "average bunker", if they average in a few revetted bunkers, then the numbers might actually favor a "regular bunker" over rough.

Erik J. Barzeski

« Reply #23 on: November 29, 2019, 10:50:43 PM »
My statement is amended above.  Also, those stats are for the "average bunker", if they average in a few revetted bunkers, then the numbers might actually favor a "regular bunker" over rough.
How many revetted bunkers are there on the PGA Tour?

I get your point, Tom… of course, mine is just that, at the end of the day, the rough and bunkers are still fairly penal to PGA Tour players. They're equivalent to a drive in the fairway that's about 60-70 yards further back. Often, for the long hitters, they're only missing two more fairways per round, but still… there are others who miss 4 more per round, and have to rely on weeks (Cameron Champ?) when the driver is hot or the course is VERY wide or a bunch of things going right that week.
« Last Edit: November 29, 2019, 11:02:13 PM by Erik J. Barzeski »
Erik J. Barzeski @iacas
Author, Lowest Score Wins, Instructor/Coach, and Lifetime Student of the Game.

I generally ignore Rob, Tim, and Garland.

Tom_Doak

« Reply #24 on: November 30, 2019, 05:10:17 AM »

How many revetted bunkers are there on the PGA Tour?

I get your point, Tom… of course, mine is just that, at the end of the day, the rough and bunkers are still fairly penal to PGA Tour players. They're equivalent to a drive in the fairway that's about 60-70 yards further back. Often, for the long hitters, they're only missing two more fairways per round, but still… there are others who miss 4 more per round, and have to rely on weeks (Cameron Champ?) when the driver is hot or the course is VERY wide or a bunch of things going right that week.

Sorry, the source of the statistics was not identified, just that it was Tour players.

If the stat you gave is correct, then geez, it seems like it would matter quite a bit to strategy if the ball were rolled back just far enough that players were left with 150 yard approach shots on long par-4's, instead of 100-125.  If you add 60 to 150, it would make their scoring average go up enough that they would think more about the fairway.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back