News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Kalen Braley

Re: The new world-wide handicap system begins January 1, 2020
« Reply #100 on: November 28, 2019, 02:34:38 PM »
AG,

I think what he means is what I observed in the 10 or so years I played golf with a handicap, I never once put in my score in front of anyone else, nor did I ever watch anyone put in thier scores, nor did I ever observe anyone else watching in either scenario.  Its 99% honor system (organized tournaments being the exceptions)

While I agree there are likely more Vanity caps out there than bagger caps, i would guess the % of those who regularly enter local tournaments is flipped. I played in them cause I did so with a few buddies and it was fun to be competitive at a real level, so winning was secondary.  But it didn't matter because almost every one I entered, at least one sometimes two people, from the 14-20 flight which I played in, would drop two sub 80 rounds and crush everyone.
« Last Edit: November 28, 2019, 02:39:04 PM by Kalen Braley »

Scott Warren

« Reply #101 on: November 28, 2019, 03:01:34 PM »
What I meant is its just an input to:

Index X slope / 113 = handicap.

Whereas the CONGU number is the number you play off. 

A.G._Crockett

« Reply #102 on: November 29, 2019, 08:08:01 AM »
What I meant is its just an input to:

Index X slope / 113 = handicap.

Whereas the CONGU number is the number you play off.
Scott,

I'm not (intentionally) being obtuse, and I'll admit that my math skills are very poor, but I still don't understand your point.  Boiled down, and putting aside any difference in course rating vs. standard scratch score, isn't the current difference in the two systems just primarily which rounds are counted toward a player's handicap? 

In either case, your handicap is the number that you play off, isn't it?
"Golf...is usually played with the outward appearance of great dignity.  It is, nevertheless, a game of considerable passion, either of the explosive type, or that which burns inwardly and sears the soul."      Bobby Jones

Sean_A

« Reply #103 on: November 29, 2019, 08:55:53 AM »
AG

I think Scott is referencing handicap VS index. The new system will require folks figuring out their handicap on any given course by using the index. It's a bit of a fiddle compared to just having a handicap number which remains the same no matter the course.

Happy Hockey
New plays planned for 2024: Fraserburgh, Hankley Common, Ashridge, Gog Magog Old & Cruden Bay St Olaf

Rob Marshall

« Reply #104 on: November 29, 2019, 09:56:31 AM »
AG

I think Scott is referencing handicap VS index. The new system will require folks figuring out their handicap on any given course by using the index. It's a bit of a fiddle compared to just having a handicap number which remains the same no matter the course.

Happy Hockey

That’s been the case in the US all ready.
If life gives you limes, make margaritas.” Jimmy Buffett

Sean_A

« Reply #105 on: November 29, 2019, 12:14:50 PM »
AG

Happy Hockey

That’s been the case in the US all ready.

Yes, for what I think is at least 30 years...I used to use it in the 90s...I can't remember how it was done in the late 70s and 80s.  The sloping of courses is why GB&I is well behind the curve of being ready for the new global system in January.  My club has yet to even explain the new system!  I don't think many (myself included) actually care about the math/formulas behind the system. They are more interested in the daily use of the system.

Happy Hockey
« Last Edit: November 29, 2019, 12:24:08 PM by Sean_A »
New plays planned for 2024: Fraserburgh, Hankley Common, Ashridge, Gog Magog Old & Cruden Bay St Olaf

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back