News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Jim Hoak

Baskets instead of flags
« on: November 23, 2019, 08:30:30 AM »
We all know that Merion uses baskets instead of flags on their flag/basket sticks. 
I understand that when San Francisco GC first began, they did too.
Do any courses still use baskets?  Are there other courses that once did, but do no longer?
What are the reasons for baskets?  What are the advantages/disadvantages?  I'm sure observing wind direction is one.
Did baskets ever serve any useful purpose?

Tim Martin

Re: Baskets instead of flags
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2019, 08:48:35 AM »
Rivermont GC in Johns Creek, Georgia has them.

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2019, 08:52:55 AM »
The only benefit I can see is negating the dreaded pin slap. I would hope that visitors to Merion respect the baskets and lay them down gently. Does a basket also allow you to hook the pin with the toe of your putter as it would be lifted an inch or so off the ground.

Oops, the above points are moot given that no sane golfer removes a pin these days unless accompanied by a caddie.

Greg Smith

« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2019, 09:08:43 AM »
The first time I lifted up one of the basket pins, I was really surprised how heavy it was.  It would have no give at all from a ball hitting the shaft.  The bottom part is much smaller in diameter though, so no unusual problem with a putt or chip rolling in.  Of course since every round there you have a caddie, carefully laying down the pin is a moot point.

The urban legend that I have heard is that the basket on a stick was a shepherd's invention -- he could put his lunch in the basket and still keep the munchies raised above sheep level when stuck in the ground.
O fools!  who drudge from morn til night
And dream your way of life is wise,
Come hither!  prove a happier plight,
The golfer lives in Paradise!                      

John Somerville, The Ballade of the Links at Rye (1898)

Michael Wolf

« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2019, 09:26:59 AM »
Kawana in Japan used baskets in its early days - with a flag on top of the baskets.

Tim Martin

« Reply #5 on: November 23, 2019, 10:06:54 AM »
The first time I lifted up one of the basket pins, I was really surprised how heavy it was.  It would have no give at all from a ball hitting the shaft.  The bottom part is much smaller in diameter though, so no unusual problem with a putt or chip rolling in.  Of course since every round there you have a caddie, carefully laying down the pin is a moot point.

The urban legend that I have heard is that the basket on a stick was a shepherd's invention -- he could put his lunch in the basket and still keep the munchies raised above sheep level when stuck in the ground.

All the accolades from the “woke” golf cognoscenti about the value of sheep to the game and now we find out that they are little more than scavengers. OH MY :o

« Last Edit: November 23, 2019, 10:08:41 AM by Tim Martin »

Padraig Dooley

« Reply #6 on: November 23, 2019, 04:49:05 PM »
A couple of members at Cork GC have been doing a course mapping project and presented on the early years up to the late 20's recently. In three photographs from the mid to late 20's one year had baskets, the following year the flags had wind socks and a couple of years later they had flags.
Anyone else seen wind socks on flags?
There are painters who transform the sun to a yellow spot, but there are others who with the help of their art and their intelligence, transform a yellow spot into the sun.
  - Pablo Picasso

Paul Dolton

« Reply #7 on: November 23, 2019, 05:16:34 PM »
I have seen at photo of a white basket being used at Stoke Poges, now Stoke Park.
Could anyone confirm this ?

Thomas Dai

« Reply #8 on: November 23, 2019, 05:37:41 PM »
Sheringham a long time ago.
atb

MCirba

« Reply #9 on: November 23, 2019, 10:07:05 PM »
Cobb's Creek had maize corn straw yellow and  cornflower blue baskets for many years and hopefully will again before long.
« Last Edit: November 23, 2019, 10:15:06 PM by MCirba »
"Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent" - Calvin Coolidge

https://cobbscreek.org/

Jeff Schley

« Reply #10 on: November 24, 2019, 02:41:48 AM »
Cobb's Creek had maize corn straw yellow and  cornflower blue baskets for many years and hopefully will again before long.
Love those colors, do you have any old photos of them?  I really love that it isn't a gimmick, it is history that will be reintroduced.
"To give anything less than your best, is to sacrifice your gifts."
- Steve Prefontaine

MCirba

« Reply #11 on: November 24, 2019, 10:43:52 AM »

Love those colors, do you have any old photos of them?  I really love that it isn't a gimmick, it is history that will be reintroduced.

Hi Jeff,

I wish I had a color photo, but this August 2, 1929 New York Daily News article shows it clearly.   

First, the picture;

Then, the inflammatory article from whence it came.   

« Last Edit: November 24, 2019, 10:45:58 AM by MCirba »
"Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent" - Calvin Coolidge

https://cobbscreek.org/

Matt_Cohn

« Reply #12 on: November 25, 2019, 06:57:03 PM »
I understand that when San Francisco GC first began, they did too.

I believe they use them twice a year. I think I heard that they are white, not red.

Howard Riefs

« Reply #13 on: November 25, 2019, 10:59:18 PM »
Red-colored baskets remain in play on the Seaside course at Sea Island.
"Golf combines two favorite American pastimes: Taking long walks and hitting things with a stick."  ~P.J. O'Rourke

Bill Seitz

« Reply #14 on: November 26, 2019, 01:06:52 AM »
Oops, the above points are moot given that no sane golfer removes a pin these days unless accompanied by a caddie.

I haven't played much in the last year, but in my limited rounds, I've determined that this is the worst rule change in the history of golf. 

Chris Cupit

« Reply #15 on: November 28, 2019, 08:28:01 PM »
We do use baskets and have since our renovation in 2006.  When we re-did our course I wanted something unique for our flag poles.  I considered poles only, no flagsticks at all (I still believe no flagsticks in a green would make little difference to the score for 95% of golfers), balls, and spheres of all shapes.

I really did not want to "copy" Merion and then I came upon an old turf magazine from the 1920's I think--Stumpf's was its name.

There was an advertisement in the magazine for "Wicker Balloon Baskets".  These were mass produced baskets ($7.50) and the advertisement touted their advantage over flags for inland courses where wind was often insufficient to blow the flags enough to be visible.  The notion was that the balloon baskets were more visible than a limp flag.

Anyway, I discovered many courses and not just Merion used baskets.  I think Stoke Poges and I am certain San Francisco Golf Club use baskets.  Anyway, since I no longer felt guilty about "stealing" the ice from Merion I decided to use them at Rivermont.

We make our own baskets.  We purchase and soak the wicker, weave the baskets and paint them ourselves.  Our baskets are yellow and slightly larger than those at Merion (theirs are red and orange--I forget which color is used on each nine).  Anyway, we have experimented for years and have developed a very sturdy and handsome looking basket.  In fact, our basket maker makes baskets for Sea Island now and we sent one of our baskets (painted navy) to SFGC for an anniversary of theirs several years ago.

Anyway, I like the look and do think for a parkland course with relatively little wind, the baskets are more visible than a flag draped against a flagstick.  I will say that I think the notion that the basket was meant to disguise wind is a bit of a myth.  As mentioned earlier, I think the purpose was to assist golfers in seeing the flagstick, not any attempt to deceive them.  And really, it's. not as if there is no other way to visibly see the effects of wind around a green.

Hope this provides a little info for some.

Happy Thanksgiving.

Ken Fry

« Reply #16 on: November 29, 2019, 07:41:54 AM »
Southerness Golf Course (NLE) in Stockbridge, GA used them for a period of time after the course opened in 1991.

To Jaka's point, Southerness stopped using the baskets because too many were being broken by people taking the flag out and dropping the baskets on the green.  They were pretty heavy.  The replacement expense got too high.

Ken
« Last Edit: November 29, 2019, 07:44:36 AM by Ken Fry »

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back