News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Steve_ Shaffer

Albanese & Lutzke article CORRECTED
« on: November 27, 2019, 11:18:35 AM »
To thrive in the golf course design and construction business, Albanese & Lutzke principals Paul Albanese and Chris Lutzke have played to their collective strengths to evolve with an ever-changing industry. In an era when more golf courses are closing than opening, the duo remains busy and considers themselves fortunate to be doing some of their more creative and impactful work around the world.
They both started as associates under Jerry Matthews, who designed more than 400 golf courses around the state of Michigan. Throughout the 1990s and 2000s, Albanese and Lutzke would spend hours together on sites and in pubs discussing golf course architecture. Albanese earned his B.S in agricultural and biological engineering from Cornell University and his Masters of landscape architecture from Harvard University, while Lutzke earned turf science and landscape architecture degrees from Michigan State University while also working as a lead associate with legendary course architect Pete Dye for 20 years.

Read more....

https://www.golfcourseindustry.com/article/albanese-lutzke-gcsaa-course-architects-michigan/
« Last Edit: November 27, 2019, 11:33:16 AM by Steve_ Shaffer »
"Some of us worship in churches, some in synagogues, some on golf courses ... "  Adlai Stevenson
Hyman Roth to Michael Corleone: "We're bigger than US Steel."
Ben Hogan “The most important shot in golf is the next one”

Brad Tufts

Re: Albanese & Lutzke article CORRECTED
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2019, 11:58:39 AM »
Anyone played Tatanka, Sweetgrass, or Sage Run?

They look intriguing-ish...
So I jump ship in Hong Kong....

Ronald Montesano

« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2019, 03:45:38 PM »
Did you ever play Holiday Valley, 90 minutes south of Buffalo? Albanese did a fair bit of renovation there. Also, Mill Creek west of Rochester (not far from I90) is completely Albanese.
Coming in August 2023
~Manakiki
~OSU Scarlet
~OSU Grey
~NCR South
~Springfield
~Columbus
~Lake Forest (OH)
~Sleepy Hollow (OH)

Jake Marvin

« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2019, 03:45:55 PM »
I've only seen Tatanka, but I would highly recommend it if you're in the region for some reason. When I was there in 2017, it was the most fast and firm course I had ever played. The property has wonderful movement and Albanese wasn't afraid to play straight up and down the elevation. The scale is massive and the high points have great views over the surrounding area. The topography helps to create a lot of variety. The greens are fine but lack a certain level of polish in my opinion, with a lot of large-scale tiering but a lot of areas which produce straight, flat putts as well. All things considered, there's a lot to like. On one hand, I think Albanese deserves a lot more publicity than he gets, on the other hand, I'm not surprised he flies under the radar given the location of his projects.

Here's some not-very-good photos, since there's not a glut online:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/161128089@N03/albums/72157667097458309/with/38125867214/

Anthony_Nysse

« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2019, 04:46:09 AM »
Chris did an incredible job for us, here. He was on site, everyday for 6 months. He was responsible for all the dozer work, reshaping of bunkers & finalizing of greens. We got more than our money's worth!
Anthony J. Nysse
Director of Golf Courses & Grounds
Apogee Club
Hobe Sound, FL

Sean_A

« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2019, 04:58:17 AM »
Not to detract from the thread, but J Matthews designed 400 courses in Michigan? Is that possible?

Happy Thanksgiving
New plays planned for 2024: Fraserburgh, Turnberry, Isle of Harris, Benbecula, Askernish, Traigh, St Medan, Hankley Common, Ashridge, Gog Magog Old & Cruden Bay St Olaf

Anthony_Nysse

« Reply #6 on: November 29, 2019, 06:03:40 AM »
Not to detract from the thread, but J Matthews designed 400 courses in Michigan? Is that possible?

Happy Thanksgiving

Unfortunately, its probably not far off. Id guess that that number includes all the Matthew's portfolio-Jerry with his dad, W. Bruce, Sr.

He found an incredible niche in Michigan, but so many courses looks so much alike. One of Jerry's design associates taught a class at MSU during my second year there. I had happened to work construction at Friar's Head the summer before and part of the class assignment was to design a 3 hole course with the given topo map. One of my designed holes was a short par 4, with a blind approach shot. I was graded down for not allowing the golfer to see all their options. This was devastating for me!
Anthony J. Nysse
Apogee Club
Hobe Sound, FL

Tom_Doak

« Reply #7 on: November 29, 2019, 09:52:40 AM »

He found an incredible niche in Michigan, but so many courses looks so much alike. One of Jerry's design associates taught a class at MSU during my second year there. I had happened to work construction at Friar's Head the summer before and part of the class assignment was to design a 3 hole course with the given topo map. One of my designed holes was a short par 4, with a blind approach shot. I was graded down for not allowing the golfer to see all their options. This was devastating for me!

I don't think the 400 number can be accurate, unless it's every course where he ever built a tee.  The number of new courses must only be 1/2 of that.  There are only +/- 650 courses in Michigan, total.

One of Jerry Mathews's former associates once complained to us about his insistence that every green be supported by three mounds.  Yes, EVERY green.  Once you have seen it you can't unsee it.

Anthony_Nysse

« Reply #8 on: November 29, 2019, 10:10:18 AM »

I don't think the 400 number can be accurate, unless it's every course where he ever built a tee.  The number of new courses must only be 1/2 of that.  There are only +/- 650 courses in Michigan, total.

One of Jerry Mathews's former associates once complained to us about his insistence that every green be supported by three mounds.  Yes, EVERY green.  Once you have seen it you can't unsee it.

Sort of tongue in cheek, but regardless of the number....too many.

I can see where Matthews & Co. were adamant about 3 mounds. Worked on a Matthews for 10yrs. The 3 mounds are burned into my retinas.
Anthony J. Nysse
Apogee Club
Hobe Sound, FL

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back