News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Sean_A

WEST SURREY GC
« on: September 03, 2021, 09:57:13 AM »

The simple proshop hints at excellent things to come.

Tucked away in backwater Surrey south of Godalming, West Surrey is a fine club which plays over a course with pedigree. According to the club, the design was done by JH Taylor with the greens built by Fowler; strange combination. I believe the original 1910 routing remains in place, though the greens were converted to USGA spec in 2002 when an irrigation system was installed. Like many clubs, during WWII West Surrey turned over their house for military use and a few fairways were used for crop production. In the past several years a major bunker renovation project by K Moodie was successfully undertaken. Some trees were also removed…not nearly enough!

The start of West Surrey is far from simple. Several demanding holes threaten to derail the card not long after wishing each other good luck on the 1st tee.

Continuing the uphill climb, the short second isn't long, but the somewhat domed green is a tough target. Moving on to the 3rd, a bomber par 4 of 447 yards.  The drive plays downhill to an angled fairway with bunkers protecting both sides. 

The green sits in an open area on the boundary of the property.

Playing sharply uphill between trees, the 4th is another bruiser hole which will likely be more respected than loved. 

More to follow.

Ciao
« Last Edit: September 29, 2021, 06:05:21 AM by Sean_A »
New plays planned for 2024: Dunfanaghy, Fraserburgh, Hankley Common, Ashridge, Gog Magog Old & Cruden Bay St Olaf

David_Tepper

Re: WEST SURREY GC: 1-4
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2021, 10:57:18 AM »

Adam Lawrence

« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2021, 12:18:37 PM »
Derek Markham, the author of the recent Fowler biography, 'A Matter of Course' is a long-time member of West Surrey and wrote their centenary book.
Adam Lawrence

Editor, Golf Course Architecture
www.golfcoursearchitecture.net

Principal, Oxford Golf Consulting
www.oxfordgolfconsulting.com

Author, 'More Enduring Than Brass: a biography of Harry Colt' (forthcoming).

Short words are best, and the old words, when short, are the best of all.

Sean_A

« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2021, 11:19:03 AM »
West Surrey Tour Cont

A decent par 3, the fifth keeps the course ticking over.

Still unnesessarily constricted with trees, the three-shot 6th is a bit more open in aspect.

A very difficult par 4, the 7th is 432 yards, all of which are uphill....good hole.

It seems like the course changes its mood from the 8th. The holes are shorter and a bit more funk is introduced. I suspect the bunker scheme on this hole was altered when the upgrade happened.  Many will choose to play short of the bunkers.  The uphill approach isn't long, but its easy to get caught out in poor position above the hole.

A welcoming halfway house can be accessed after 8 or 11.

The three-shot 9th is one of my favourite holes. The drive isn't blind, but it is difficult to visualize. A decent drive offers an opportunity to go for the green in two.

There is space to hit over the forward bunker, but holding the downhill green is an issue. Somewhat similar to Remedy Oak, West Surrey is in lovely countryside.  However, the views are cut off by boundary trees.

The short 10th is sort of a transition hole. Its a basic uphill hole created from nothing. When playing the 11th it becomes obvious that it would be a serious slog if this part of the property wasn't split up. Not overly long, but uphill, the par four 11th's fairway is split by broken ground. There is little hint from the fairway, but the green moves savagely from from left to rear right.

More to follow.

Ciao
« Last Edit: September 18, 2021, 09:44:41 AM by Sean_A »
New plays planned for 2024: Dunfanaghy, Fraserburgh, Hankley Common, Ashridge, Gog Magog Old & Cruden Bay St Olaf

Sean_A

Re: WEST SURREY GC: 1-11 New
« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2021, 05:17:54 AM »
West Surrey Tour Cont

The short, downhill 12th is shrouded in shade.

At 310 yards from the daily tees the 13th is certainly a hole which will tempt some to Bryson a drive, but I would have thought the odds for success are quite low.

Swinging right, the 14th is deceiving. The bunkers make it seem like there may be a centreline bunker or that cutting just around the inside bunker is a smart play. Unless one is exceptionally long, the play is toward the left bunker.  Trees creep in on the right once around the corner.

A clever green disguises the right to left movement. Another incidence of lovely countryside views blocked by trees.

A lovely little hole, the 15th is quite narrow. With the green very close to the boundary, it would be intriguing if the fairway was extended further right to include some terrain which was probably short grass at some point. The area in question is just in the shot to the right. 

Delightful green.

Another hard slinger right, trees have conspired to make this hole much less than it should be. With a nasty green, there is little need to make golfers play safe off the tee or risk losing the egg. 

More to follow.

Ciao
« Last Edit: October 29, 2021, 03:49:33 AM by Sean_A »

Sean_A

Re: WEST SURREY GC: 1-16 New
« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2021, 06:05:08 AM »
West Surrey Tour Cont

I did a double take of 17 when playing 13. A third look at the hole revealed nothing more beyond WTF? I don't know where the boundary line is on the left, but if trees could be removed there is the makings of an epic hole.

If you can't hit the ball very high, the approach requires an exceptional shot between and under trees. Below is a look at the approach from well beyond the fairway at the bottom of the hill.

Unfortunately, the three-shot 18th isn't a memorable hole. Perhaps it's biggest failure is the fabulous Albert Messer designed clubhouse isn't showcased (also responsible for the Woking & Worplesdon houses and much of the Heath Hook estate). I was intrigued by the Fowler connection as the second course substantially of his creation, but I can't honestly see much that obviously stands out as Fowler, not that it is easy to discern the hand of the great architect. Despite overbearing trees, there are several good/competent holes in 3, 7, 8, 9 and 13. Except for the potential of 17, none of these holes stand out as outstanding.  Although, the 13th is curiously similar to Woking's famous 4th. Sometimes the whole is greater than the sum of its parts, but this doesn't strike me as the case for West Surrey.  2021

Ciao
« Last Edit: October 29, 2021, 03:52:42 AM by Sean_A »

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back