News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

John Emerson

Re: Brook Hollow GC, Dallas, Restoration Project
« Reply #50 on: June 15, 2020, 11:03:55 AM »
Kudos to the decision makers at BH for sticking with Keith Foster.  The loyalty will likely pay off with superior execution of a very impressive plan.  As long as the local economy keeps on humming, it will be interesting to watch the reaction from its peers.  Though all have completed significant renovations in the past few years, much tree work remains.  I do wonder if the ultra-dwarf Bermudas got a fair hearing.  I only wish I was 20-30 years younger and met the member profile to bide my time patiently on the reported 10+ year wait list.  It would not surprise me if the course shot up to near the top.

I think with the introduction of hydroponics under greens, I think you will actually see clubs having much more success with bentgrass in the transition zones. The ability to lower the soil temperatures 15-20* or more make bentgrass in the DFW area MUCH more sustainable. It also allows for amore consistent & firmer surface, thus increasing golfers enjoyment. It can pay off quicker than most would think.

Why are so many clubs trying to fight mother nature?  Did I miss the memo that bermuda greens are no longer acceptable putting surfaces?
“There’s links golf, then everything else.”

Tim Gallant

« Reply #51 on: June 15, 2020, 11:18:29 AM »
Three more photos courtesy of Jim Hoak and club:

Jim Hoak

« Reply #52 on: June 15, 2020, 11:35:44 AM »
OK, I think I've sent enough photos of the BH redo.  Or, rather, Tim has sent enough on my behalf.  I thank him again.
The top photo is the Great Hazard again.  And the middle one is looking back at the First Tee, where a small practice putting green was added next to the tee, for players wishing to roll a few last minute putts before teeing off.  The bottom one is the par 3, #4th, Hole.  Waste area added up to the Green.
Another feature of the redo (not pictured) was the addition of drainage ditch areas on a few holes--to aid in the run-off of water--usually out-of-play, somewhat reminiscent of the ditches of Sunningdale Old.

mike_beene

« Reply #53 on: June 15, 2020, 11:23:12 PM »
Bent works great 10 months of year and not bad July and August. Why would anyone want to play in Dallas in those months?

Jim Hoak

« Reply #54 on: June 16, 2020, 11:47:22 AM »
That was basically our calculation of bent vs. Bermuda on the greens.  We felt that with hydronics, there would be fewer questionable days during the 12-month Texas season for bent than for Bermuda.  Even with hydronics, we will allow for fans in the hottest time of the year, but we think we can avoid the use most of the time.  And we believed that bent would have a longer "good" time than Bermuda.  We believed that Bermuda greens were getting better in general--and it wasn't a clear--or unanimous--call to use bent.  But for us, bent seemed to be a better choice.  And it is the grass most of the members were most used to seeing and playing.
« Last Edit: June 16, 2020, 01:59:49 PM by Jim Hoak »

Chris Kurzner

« Reply #55 on: June 16, 2020, 07:04:28 PM »
That was basically our calculation of bent vs. Bermuda on the greens.  We felt that with hydronics, there would be fewer questionable days during the 12-month Texas season for bent than for Bermuda.  Even with hydronics, we will allow for fans in the hottest time of the year, but we think we can avoid the use most of the time.  And we believed that bent would have a longer "good" time than Bermuda.  We believed that Bermuda greens were getting better in general--and it wasn't a clear--or unanimous--call to use bent.  But for us, bent seemed to be a better choice.  And it is the grass most of the members were most used to seeing and playing.
As Mike can no doubt tell you, based on the incredibly improved conditions at Lakewood (largely due to targeted syringingand dry jecting), plus the added benefit of the sub-air cooling at BH, I expect your greens will be phenomenal.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back