News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Howard Riefs

Best new courses of 2019
« on: December 03, 2019, 04:39:17 PM »
Golf Digest weighs in with its best new courses of 2019…

https://www.golfdigest.com/story/americas-best-new-courses-2019-an-in-depth-look-at-the-public-and-private-winners

Private
1. Ohoopee Match Club
2. Summit Club
3. TPC Colorado
4. Links at Perry Cabin
5. Aberdeen Golf and Country Club

Public
1. Ozarks National Golf Club
2. Pinehurst No. 4
3. Arcadia Bluffs South Course
4. Sage Run Golf Club
5. Corica Park, South Course

"Golf combines two favorite American pastimes: Taking long walks and hitting things with a stick."  ~P.J. O'Rourke

John Kavanaugh

Re: Best new courses of 2019
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2019, 04:46:24 PM »
Does the flop that Arcadia Bluffs South is say something about the questionable genius of Raynor?

Ronald Montesano

« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2019, 07:34:46 PM »

Did they blindfold you when you played it? The South Course is awe-inspiring. It was neck and neck with The Loop for my best new play this year. I could go on and on about it. Not one shot was forgettable, and not one hole was out of place. Buck up and defend your attack. I dare you.

Does the flop that Arcadia Bluffs South is say something about the questionable genius of Raynor?
Coming in August 2023
~Manakiki
~OSU Scarlet
~OSU Grey
~NCR South
~Springfield
~Columbus
~Lake Forest (OH)
~Sleepy Hollow (OH)

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2019, 07:54:58 PM »
I haven’t played it. My opinion is solely based on the referral from a friend. A friend who simply loves golf for how the ball bounces. I couldn’t have heard less buzz about a new course if I was permanently attired in a Tyvek bunny suit.

Tom_Doak

« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2019, 09:47:18 PM »
I haven’t played it. My opinion is solely based on the referral from a friend. A friend who simply loves golf for how the ball bounces. I couldn’t have heard less buzz about a new course if I was permanently attired in a Tyvek bunny suit.

Counterpoint:  I don't think it flopped.  It finished third to two other projects with far larger marketing budgets, and two courses designed by architects who have much more cachet among the panelist class.  It would have been a major upset for it to finish ahead of either of those two.

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2019, 06:28:06 AM »
There will be no Doggate at ON. Zark, zark.

https://bigcedar.com/golf/ozarks-national-course/

Ryan Hillenbrand

« Reply #6 on: December 04, 2019, 11:49:22 AM »
I played Ozarks National and #4 this year. Ozarks National is a really good original layout

John Foley

« Reply #7 on: December 05, 2019, 10:41:01 AM »
Really liked Arcadia Bluffs South. Given the Raynor homer I am it's not a surprise but it was very well done.

JK - I think you should get there and decide, me thinks your friend got it wrong.
Integrity in the moment of choice

Bernie Bell

« Reply #8 on: December 05, 2019, 12:35:13 PM »
I'm curious if there are others who've played Ozarks.  An earlier thread was mostly folks talking about photos, but of the few who'd played it, one said better than Sand Valley. 

Greg Clark

« Reply #9 on: December 05, 2019, 02:51:53 PM »

Counterpoint:  I don't think it flopped.  It finished third to two other projects with far larger marketing budgets, and two courses designed by architects who have much more cachet among the panelist class.  It would have been a major upset for it to finish ahead of either of those two.

This certainly indicates that is has been critically well received.  Does anyone know how it is fairing as a commercial venture?

Jerry Kluger

« Reply #10 on: December 05, 2019, 09:38:42 PM »
I have watched Aberdeen evolve from an absolute abomination by Desmond Muirhead to what is a very nice and enjoyable Florida course. They have never been able to figure out what to do with the first par 5, I believe it is number 4, which gives the option to shorten the hole by playing onto an island fairway.  Problem is that from the island it is nearly impossible to hit the green so you go to the fairway which you are now playing across with water short and OB long.

Tommy Williamsen

« Reply #11 on: December 07, 2019, 08:01:47 PM »

The South Course is definitely not a flop. I'd put it in front of #4 in fact. It is brilliantly fun with spectacle bunkers and the Lion's Mouth to boot. I like it better than the old course.
Where there is no love, put love; there you will find love.
St. John of the Cross

"Deep within your soul-space is a magnificent cathedral where you are sweet beyond telling." Rumi

Carl Rogers

« Reply #12 on: December 07, 2019, 11:57:13 PM »
So, while at the 2020 Midwest Mashie, Arcadia Bluffs South is a definite play?
I decline to accept the end of man. ... William Faulkner

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back