News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Joe Bausch

Recently while passing some time on microfilm, I found this article by Horace Hutchinson.  I know a few on this board will appreciate it, in particular P2 from Canada.  It is from the May 10, 1900 edition of the Public Ledger.

@jwbausch (for new photo albums)
The site for the Cobb's Creek project:  https://cobbscreek.org/
Nearly all Delaware Valley golf courses in photo albums: Bausch Collection

Adam Lawrence

Re: Golfers Appreciation of Colonel Bogie: an article by Horace Hutchinson
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2019, 08:22:37 AM »
First I've heard of HGH having a doctorate!
Adam Lawrence

Editor, Golf Course Architecture
www.golfcoursearchitecture.net

Principal, Oxford Golf Consulting
www.oxfordgolfconsulting.com

Author, 'More Enduring Than Brass: a biography of Harry Colt' (forthcoming).

Short words are best, and the old words, when short, are the best of all.

Joe Bausch

« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2019, 08:53:55 AM »
First I've heard of HGH having a doctorate!

I had a student say that to me once.   ;D

BCrosby

« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2019, 09:35:51 AM »
Interesting that playing against Colonel Bogey was seen as an English invention viewed as sacrilegious by the Scots. There were requests for many years that 'Bogey' golf rules be included in the code book. The R&A declined the requests. I don't know if the USGA ever adopted official Bogey rules.

On many old scorecards 'Bogey' scores are given for each hole. I assume the idea died a quiet death because of modern handicapping systems. No?   

Bob

Peter Pallotta

« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2019, 11:29:51 AM »
Thanks much for that, Joe. You sure know your P2s!

Yes, I tend to like 'old' things, but how can you not when writers back then had the subtlety to explore how a turn of phrase ('give a dog a bad name and hang him') could mislead and be misunderstood -- and then to elegantly pivot from that to golf and the 'bogie card'!

More importantly, that's the first time I've read about the true genesis (and proper function) of the bogie score.  I had in wrong in my mind: I'd thought is was meant to be simply another kind of 'par', i.e. a kinder way for average golfers to keep score during stroke/medal play.

But in fact it's much more interesting (and appealing) in its actual/intended function, i.e. the bogie score/card as a way to see who wins any given hole in a *match play* format. 

And HH seems right on when he concludes that the 'name' given to it is what hanged it!

Very interesting, thanks.

P2

« Last Edit: November 18, 2019, 11:31:24 AM by Peter Pallotta »

Joe Bausch

« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2019, 11:43:48 AM »
As you could read near the top of the article, this was the 5th in a series of articles written by H2 for the Public Ledger.  I have the other four as well and will be back on the microfilm reader later this week to see if he penned any others for the Ledger.  I'll then make an addition to the Bausch Archives to access them all.

BCrosby

« Reply #6 on: November 18, 2019, 06:12:59 PM »
Peter - I agree. Playing Colonel Bogey was an interesting hybrid of match and medal play. If you are playing alone, it gives to you an opponent less intimidating than 'King Par'.

Joe - Thanks for this. Let us know when you post the other entries to your site. It is an interesting corner of golf history that is largely forgotten.

Bob   

Sean_A

« Reply #7 on: November 18, 2019, 09:27:32 PM »
Bob

I think bogey score on cards died for the most part when there was a rash of courses altering par... I think in the 50s or 60s.

I used to play in a series of bogey 4somes comps in Worcestershire. It's quite a good game for a large field that still wants to play 4somes. The game definitely originates as from the above article. Birdies or better are +1, par 0 and bogey - 1. Highest score wins and level is often a good score. Maybe we can try this format next Buda.

Happy Hockey
New plays planned for 2024: Dunfanaghy, Fraserburgh, Hankley Common, Ashridge, Gog Magog Old & Cruden Bay St Olaf

Colin Macqueen

« Reply #8 on: November 19, 2019, 12:55:26 AM »
Sean,

Here in Australia we quite often play a competition round described as a "Par Event". It is almost exactly what you describe above except you are +1, 0, -1 against your handicap index on any particular hole. I equate it to having a Match Play game against ones self and I invariably, no matter what the actual competition is, stroke, stableford etc., play this game as I proceed through my round.
I find it makes me concentrate a lot less on the actual number of strokes mounting up and more on the actual golf and course. Egregiously bad holes can be more easily forgotten and hope continue!

Cheers Col
« Last Edit: November 19, 2019, 12:57:47 AM by Colin Macqueen »
"Golf, thou art a gentle sprite, I owe thee much"
The Hielander

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back