News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

mike_malone

The Architects Golf Club=pleasurable
« on: November 05, 2019, 02:56:33 PM »
 I liked that the architects weren’t replicated but the work was after the style of the famous architect. The features were softened but clearly that of each person.

They listed three courses at the tee of the designer. I played 17 of them.

The average golfer can just enjoy the course. The architectural nut can have fun analyzing.
« Last Edit: November 05, 2019, 09:16:44 PM by mike_malone »
AKA Mayday

Joe Bausch

Re: The Architects Golf Club=pleasurable
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2019, 02:32:40 AM »
Glad you got to see it.  My last time there was with Stephen Kay, I think back in the summer of 2018.

Photo album:

http://www80.homepage.villanova.edu/joseph.bausch/images/albums/Architects/index.html
@jwbausch (for new photo albums)
The site for the Cobb's Creek project:  https://cobbscreek.org/
Nearly all Delaware Valley golf courses in photo albums: Bausch Collection

Kyle Harris

« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2019, 05:41:56 AM »
It is good and worth a throw if in the area. The Wilson/Emmet/Travis/Colt&Allison holes are all exceptional. I'm not quite sure Kay/Whitten quite knew what to do with Tillinghast, but then again, I'm not sure Albert Warren quite knew what to do with Tillinghast either.

I wish the Raynor 8th hole was actually a Biarritz and that the Macdonald hole had a wild short-hole type green. The Banks redan is functional. 

The Mackenzie and 2nd Ross hole are meh. The 1st Ross green is fantastic.
http://kylewharris.com

Constantly blamed by 8-handicaps for their 7 missed 12-footers each round.

Thank you for changing the font of your posts. It makes them easier to scroll past.

Tim Martin

« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2019, 06:34:43 AM »
I have wanted to check out Architects for a while and this thread serves as another reason to go play. Kay is good with tribute courses as I enjoyed McCulloughs Emerald Links in Atlantic City which is a nod to famous courses/holes in the British Isles.

mike_malone

« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2019, 10:20:08 PM »
I have wanted to check out Architects for a while and this thread serves as another reason to go play. Kay is good with tribute courses as I enjoyed McCulloughs Emerald Links in Atlantic City which is a nod to famous courses/holes in the British Isles.

Tim,

When I play the replica of number 4(?) at Royal County Down I am reminded of standing on the tee with the Irish Sea to my right. The tee at MEL has the waste treatment facility to the right ! But I enjoy the course as well.
AKA Mayday

Jim Sherma

« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2019, 02:17:04 PM »
Played Architects three times this year and really developed a strong liking for the course. I had not played it before and after the first playing my buddy and and I canceled our time at Schuylkill CC the next day in order to play a second round at Architect's. I definitely consider it more than a "throw in" course and think it is one of the more interesting layouts in the Lehigh Valley area. Conditioning was very acceptable and pace of play was not an issue.

The course has a relatively low course rating and slope (71.2/126 from 6,532 yards and 72.5/131 from 6,863 yards) and does not really have any "execute or reload" types of shots. Holes that have something special IMO are:

1 - Tom Morris: Nice opening par 5 that can be easily reached in 2 with a solid drive. The approach did not seem firm enough for the architecture in my playing and am not sure if this is an ongoing concern. Pot bunker short left side of green definitely a nice tough that needs to be respected. I really liked the architectural texture of the landing area off of the tee shot that appeared more penal than it played.

4 - Devereux Emmet: Large fairway bunker across the left 2/3 of the fairway. Can sneak a big drive to the right but then be left with a tougher angle of approach. The best angle is from behind the bunker with limited view of the putting surface. Really a nice mid length par 4.

9 - Donald Ross: I question how much of Ross' style is really evident in this hole. Saying that it is a very good hole with an excellent back shelf for a tough pin placement.

14 - Perry Maxwell: Good tough straightaway par 4. Green is challenging with some rolls.

15 - Donald Ross: Big up and over par 4. Strong hole to an interesting green.

16 - Dick Wilson: Huge green surrounded by large deep bunkers.

I think my liking of the course is that there are a lot of holes that feel "big" and allow for longer irons and hybrids into the greens. If you get out of position the impact is a chance at a recovery from a bad angle or distance as opposed to a lost ball or chip out.

The one hole I really question is the 10th (George Thomas). It appears to me that the green is angled incorrectly if the intent was to mimic a "choice of width" strategy similar to the 10th at Riviera. The front right to back left green axis makes the best line off the tee a straight line up the right side of the hole. You either lay up in front of the cross bunker or try to clear it. The yardage book says as much. If you angle left of it off the tee you are left with a bad angle over the green side bunkers to a narrow target. I'm assuming that they accomplished what they tried - I'm just not sure what they were trying I guess. I seeme like it would be a more interesting ole if the green was angles front left to back right with the rigt and front right of the green bunkered.

All in all a very solid play. The potential schtick aspect of the architect's theme is fairly benign and actually quite well done. As stated, I had not played the course prior to this year even though I've had a connection to the area my entire life (Grew up at Bethlehem Municipal and Green Pond and then was a member at Harker's Hollow CC prior to Architect's being built prior to moving out of the area). Using the famous quote, "What a Stupid I am".

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back