News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Darren_Kilfara

The 11th at The Country Club - a true original?
« on: April 21, 2003, 02:41:35 PM »
Today's Golf Digest "Hole of the Day" is the 11th at Brookline (also known as the 9th hole of the US Open/Composite course). Here's the picture - which is really quite awful, but I'll link to it anyway:

I've played this hole many times, and I certainly can't think of any hole like it. Just beyond the thin strip of hay-colored grass on the left is a 20-foot drop down a rock face (with tangly shrubs at the bottom). The fairway extends to the left, out of the picture, rolling and bumping and getting narrower and narrower: trees immediately to the left of the fairway, rough to the right until you get to the rock face. At its narrowest, the fairway is only about 12-15 yards wide; then it gets down to what is essentially a dead-flat floodplain, crossed by a creek at the 150-yard mark, with plenty of rough on both sides of a tram-line fairway. Then, about 70-80 yards short of the green, the fairway ends, and the hole rises abruptly to a relatively small and severely sloping green guarded by the four bunkers you can see in the picture plus one directly beyond the green.

The hole is extremely interesting to me for several reasons:

--The hole is immune to advances in technology up to a certain point, at which instant its resistance is immediately and utterly broken. If you can carry the rockface - and we're probably talking about 280-300 yards, albeit downhill - the fairway widens appreciably, and the only hazard for not reaching the fairway is rough. Anything short of that, though, and the choice is between a layup into the relatively wide fairway short of the gap, and a drive down a progressively narrowing bottleneck that dares to reach a flat lie from which the green can be fetched in two. For the very longest players, I think the line of technology has been breached; for the rest of us, it remains a fascinatingly strategic hole.

--How many great holes do you know have 100 yards of boring, dead-flat, tramline fairway? Not many, I daresay. And yet, the creek crossing the fairway - which shouldn't come into play at ALL, under ideal circumstances, is a perfectly placed hazard if a weak player mishits his drive or a longer player finds the rough or trees off the tee. The choice between laying up safely to 170-190 (uphill) from the green and trying to carry the creek to get within no more than 140 of the green has foiled me many, many times...

--The green contours are perfect: the slope is effectively from front-left to back-right, which means even the shortest approach shots have to be judged with the first bounce (i.e. the ground game) in mind. And for a relatively short par 5, anyone going for the green in two has to shape his shot ideally (or get lucky) to hold the surface and not face an awkward chip with his third. Being below the hole is a HUGE advantage when putting, as well.

Apart from all that, the hole is drop-dead beautiful, especially from behind the green at the rock face and beyond - in autumn, with the leaves changing colors, this hole IS New England for me. I certainly feel safe in guessing that there isn't another hole like it in existence, and in predicting that another one just like it will never be built...

Cheers,
Darren
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by 1056376800 »

SPDB

Re: The 11th at The Country Club - a true original
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2003, 03:04:10 PM »

--How many great holes do you know have 100 yards of boring, dead-flat, tramline fairway? Not many, I daresay.

Darren,
you needn't walk far to find another one, the 18th on the same course, a great hole, too, because of the green (although being situated in the lee of that great clubhouse doesn't hurt either).
#1 is also dead flat.

they needed to be, you couldn't race horses along a rising and falling track.

The "Himalayas" is truly a unique hole and I agree with all of  your assessments, Darren.

For those who have only watched it on TV, it is #9 on the Open/Composite course

Here are some other images to help out your description

and from the green looking back, one can make out the rock formation and the "tramline" fairway, with bisecting hazard.

« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:04 PM by -1 »

BCrosby

« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2003, 03:22:44 PM »
Darren -

Yes, a great hole. I loved it, even though I played if far too many times in far too many strokes in cold, wet nor'easters.

The green is fascinating. I remember a small false front. I also recall that it was hard to see the surface of the green from the lay-up area. Am I mis-remembering?

Bob

Darren_Kilfara

« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2003, 04:40:53 PM »
Bob - there is a small false front, or rather a false front-right, mowed to fairway height and helping to kick balls into trouble off of that particular corner of the green. Adds to the difficulty of the approach, and to the charm...

SPDB - thanks for the help with the "art". That bottom photo is EXACTLY what I'm talking about. :)

Cheers,
Darren

Willie_Dow

« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2003, 06:28:41 PM »
Yes!  And a green that goes beautifullly from back to front, so you try to get in there - and come up short.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back